are some OJC limited editions going oop?

Pete B

Somehow I am relieved they don not ship internationally, although there are only few items I'd really like to have - I've been buying OJCs etc. more often than Blue Notes over the years. I guess I had my share from Zweitausendeins - spent more than a hundred bucks there since spring.

I think they use this sale to reduce duplications - they sell out all the K2s and many titles that probably will be RVG'd in the near future. Relatively few rarities among them - I found several much more interesting titles here, but not a single K2!

Initially I resisted the K2s because, as you say, they'll re-emerge in another incarnation. They're not rare. But there were about 6 or 7 rarities that I didn't want to miss (Hardin, Buddy Tate, Tatro etc). ANd once you get to that point, the math starts getting funny. 7 CDs (@7.98) will cost about 56.00. 10 CDs @5.98 cost virtually the same. So, my basket's at 10 CDs for 60.00 and then I realized I could get 20 CDs for 80.00. WHen am I ever going to have the opportunity to get all of those K2s for 2.00? So, my basket went from 10 to 20, mostly with K2s So, there you go, that's how the thought processes work. Pure illogic.

20 will cost you $80 + $12 shipping = $92. 34 will cost you $102 with free shipping. So you can get 14 more for $10 total. And it's not like the $3 to replace something with a K2 ends up being a net expenditure of $3 - we can then liquidate the old ones we've replaced for whatever they will bring in sale/trade. 34 should be the magic number to aim for in a shopping cart. Makes sense for guys to combine orders. Two guys getting 20 each will each spend $92, $184. Combine that order, and the total becomes $120, $60 each. You can mail 20 CD's media rate for about $4, making the total cost $124. so you could each save $30 ($62 each instead of $92 each) by combining the order. I knew that double major in finance and economics would eventually be good for something, it only took 30 years and a blowout sale to discover what!

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While shopping, I couldn't help but remember the OJC sale at J&R a year or two back, where "we" all ordered a million CDs and some attractive (though not THIS attractive price), and they came through with about 10% of what was ordered. But that was J&R.

Even if that would turn out to be the case, we'd still get some nice CD's at a great price, would save 90% of what we thought we had spent, and have fun with these posts in the meantime. Not a bad deal when all is done.

Thanks to all who alerted me to this sale ... My bank account is slilmmer this morning ... and I am sleep deprived becasue i was up till about 1:30 compiling an order of 37 items. I did not have to fill a large number of gaps, but I did take advantage of the list to get a lot of K2's ... and to be adventurous about some things I have never owned.

There is one really fine album I am amazed that no one has discussed, and that is the Lem Winchester, "Lem's Beat." Just recently I realized that I was missing this particular album from my Lem Winchester stash, and started to look for a copy. This sucker sells (sold) for a small fortune on Amazon, or anywhere else, and was OOP at most of the basic retail online stores like CDU or CDConnection. I never thought to go to the source itself, and look at the Concord site, and instead after much "googling" I purchased a copy from a smaller online company for $16.95 plus $3.00 shipping just three days ago... and here it was for $2.98!! Damn ... well, I ordered a copy and will attempt to return the higher priced item ... I highly recommend this gem of an album. Now ... let's see how many items from my order will actually be shipped.

This raises the question .. If one has met the $100 benchmark or the 30 item level with intended purchases, and they can only ship $99 worth of merchandise, or 29 items ... what price wil they charge?

Edited by garthsj

The other thing that struck me about this list of sale items, is that one could play endless speculation games by doing a content analysis (which is one of my basic research techniques) of what is actually on this list. For instance, considering the number of items under his name in the current Fantasy catalog, why is there NO Oscar Peterson on this list, and why so many (especially K2's) of Monk, and Rollins? Why so little Art Farmer, Art Pepper, and Zoot Sims? And where is long list of Bill Evans that could be expected? There is very little from the Contemporary label showing up here, and no Tommy Flanagan, Ella, or Joe Pass.

There may be really no logical explnation, but it does make one wonder ... ?

Edited by garthsj

Yeah, this could be stuff that they have an overabundance of (that either doesn't sell well or was overproduced or recently RVG'd) or it could be stuff that is low in stock and they just want to clear out of the warehouse to consolidate. Just speculating of course...

It's probably safe to assume that some of the OJC Limiteds - if they are indeed being deleted - won't be "repressed" any time soon, but i don't think we have to worry about the Miles or Monk ever going oop.

The other thing that struck me about this list of sale items, is that one could play endless speculation games by doing a content analysis (which is one of my basic research techniques) of what is actually on this list. For instance, considering the number of items under his name in the current Fantasy catalog, why is there NO Oscar Peterson on this list, and why so many (especially K2's) of Monk, and Rollins? Why so little Art Farmer, Art Pepper, and Zoot Sims? And where is long list of Bill Evans that could be expected? There is very little from the Contemporary label showing up here, and no Tommy Falanagan, Ella, or Joe Pass.

There may be really no logical explnation, but it does make one wonder ... ?

It seems like the list is loaded with the 'Limited Edition' OJCs. There might be a list of those on the board somewhere--not clear why only some of the limited editions were picked for deletions at this point, but you have to wonder whether deletions won't be forthcoming soon for the others.

The K2s duplicate, or probably will duplicate RVGs and/or box sets.

So now that the mad rush is (or close to...) over, when does the real fun start with open speculation about order fill rates and % of jewel boxes that'll get trashed? For $3 a disc, I can't imagine that they'll be using white gloves and laying down lush carpets of bubble wrap while processing these cartons that'll be shipped free of charge.

I'll start:

80% total fill rate

15.5% cracked cases :o

So now that the mad rush is (or close to...) over, when does the real fun start with open speculation about order fill rates and % of jewel boxes that'll get trashed? For $3 a disc, I can't imagine that they'll be using white gloves and laying down lush carpets of bubble wrap while processing these cartons that'll be shipped free of charge.

I'll start:

80% total fill rate

15.5% cracked cases :o

For what is it worth, our German friends were not too careful about how they packaged their sale offerings. The CDs were packed rather loosely (certainly no bubble wrapping); however considering that they came from Europe, I did not find too many broken jewel cases, BUT, I was mssing two booklets. Will they bother to replace them if I ask (he says to himself, already knowing he answer)? ...

It has entered my mind that the Evans & Coltrane boxes may be reissued in a few years with a new & improved remastering. I had delayed buying the Coltrane box as each K2 whittled away a small percentage of the box. When it was priced at $150 to $200 I could justify waiting a little bit longer and seeing if perhaps they'd K2 the whole thing or if I could find it on sale somewhere. I've heard all but 2 of the sides from borrowing from the library and a friend. I look at this sale price as a reward for being a good little boy and not burning any of it. :)

Yeah, this could be stuff that they have an overabundance of (that either doesn't sell well or was overproduced or recently RVG'd) or it could be stuff that is low in stock and they just want to clear out of the warehouse to consolidate. Just speculating of course...

It's probably safe to assume that some of the OJC Limiteds - if they are indeed being deleted - won't be "repressed" any time soon, but i don't think we have to worry about the Miles or Monk ever going oop.

From the website's preorder sale, it seems that a number of them are indded being RVG'd. The question for me was at $3 a pop why not buy these things now (whether rare or not). I figure I might be able to get them later but will the increase in price really be worth the potential improvement from remastering? The answer for me, was no. Others, obviously, may reasonably reach a different conclusion.

I dont use jewel cases, so I couldnt care less for them.

I expect to get 80% of my order shipped. I had been looking for the Ellington K2 for months, and it is out of stock in all major e-retailers. Amazon tried to get it for me for 6 weeks before they canceled. I dont have hopes of getting that one. The K2 Jackie McLean I have NEVER seen it at any brick and mortar store, but will be happy to find it waiting for me at home soon.

I called Concord today with the intention of adding some titles, if possible, to the order of 30 CDs that I placed yesterday. Before I even raised this question, I was told that the $15 shipping charge my order had incurred would be waived. I asked if Concord would be waiving the shipping charge on all pending orders of 30 CDs and was told that this would not be routinely done.

So... I think those who ordered 30 CDs can probably get the shipping charge waved if they personally call and request this.

Rupe

I called Concord today with the intention of adding some titles, if possible, to the order of 30 CDs that I placed yesterday. Before I even raised this question, I was told that the $15 shipping charge my order had incurred would be waived. I asked if Concord would be waiving the shipping charge on all pending orders of 30 CDs and was told that this would not be routinely done.

So... I think those who ordered 30 CDs can probably get the shipping charge waved if they personally call and request this.

Rupe

I just called and not only would they not take the $15 shipping charge off of my order, they are removing the free shipping for orders over $100 on this sale. So, if you haven't pressed "Place order" yet, DO IT QUICK!

I think the free shipping on this sale will be gone very soon.

Kevin

Rupe

I just called and not only would they not take the $15 shipping charge off of my order, they are removing the free shipping for orders over $100 on this sale. So, if you haven't pressed "Place order" yet, DO IT QUICK!

I think the free shipping on this sale will be gone very soon.

Kevin

i just called concord Phone (800) 551-5299 and asked Melinda (customer service supervisor) for free shipping on my 30 cd order and she said:

NO! WE ARE NOT OFFERING FREE SHIPPING ON THAT SALE.

rats.

:rcry

Edited by Bright Moments