Prestige RVGs

cayetano

Another batch of five Prestige RVG's just announced on cduniverse for September 12:

Miles Davis, Workin'

Eric Dolphy, Outward bound

Charles Earland, Black talk!

Coleman Hawkins, At ease with C.H.

Sonny Rollins, Tenor madness

Edited by cayetano

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot, the family dog?

My father used to ask us that question at dinner almost three or four times a week when we were kids. We had "history questions" to answer. What a weird upbringing I had.

That was the perpetual bonus question. . . we always veiwed it as a trick question and gave smartass answers.

He got LOTS of interesting answers to that question!

Edited by jazzbo

Re: Grant's Tomb

That was the perpetual bonus question. . . we always veiwed it as a trick question and gave smartass answers.

He got LOTS of interesting answers to that question!

Well just the other day I overheard someone was wondering if fries came with the fish & chips order at the fish market.

I gave my copy of At Ease to my sister when she 1st started chemo. Figured it couldn't hurt. She recovered nicely btw, so maybe it even helped. It will be good to get this one back, perhaps even improved! (Had no complaints about how the regular OJC sounded.)

The Grant's Tomb question was also used by Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life to help those who had not gotten any answers right.

Did anyone ever see the episode of the show where the contestants were Phyllis Diller and George Bernard Shaw. Surreal!

Bertrand.

Sign me up for the Earland and Hawkins as well....

Is Kirk Felton still doing mastering for them now? He's my favorite of the group that did the OJC's.

By the way gang...I KNOW that these are RVG's. I'm not that clueless. :cool:

The Kirk Felton thing was an aside.

I only know this because my wife was reading A.J. Jacobs' The Know-It-All recently, and asked me who was buried in Grant's Tomb? Having watched You Bet Your Life faithfully, I gave the accepted answer. I found out that I was only partially correct. Julia Dent Grant, Ulysses S. Grant's wife, is also buried there.

Paul, you beat me to it!

I only knew about Grant's wife because it was a question once on College Bowl with Allen Ludden. Remember that show? It was popular on Sunday afternoons before pro football became popular. For those too young to remember, it was the basis of the high school Prep Quiz Bowls that became popular later.

Speaking of pro football, not long ago I was listening to a tape of a 1956 radio show called X Minus One, a science fiction show. At the close, the announcer said, "Listen Sunday to the pro football championship game, right here on NBC!" I was struck by the fact that there was no mention of the NFL, just "pro football".

edit for typo

Edited by GA Russell

It'd be nice if the Prestige reissue program would mix in a few more wildcards and less of the obvious stuff that has already been released/reissued many times, like the Miles, Dolphy, and Rollins.

?????????

Jack McDuff - The Honeydripper

Lockjaw Davis Cookbook V.1

Charles Earland Black Talk

Yusef Lateef Eastern Sounds

Groove Holmes Soul Message

Etta Jones Don't Talk To Strangers

Oliver Nelson Screamin The Blues

You don't think those are "wildcards" - less obvious stuff?

Unlike the very conservative Blue Note RVG series, that does release the occasional off-center title but is dominated by the warhorses, the Prestige RVG series is not only thankfully much more prolific - but DOES have some fantastic, yet little known, risky titles.

Some people just like to complain, I guess.

Edited by robert h.

Unlike the very conservative Blue Note RVG series, that does release the occasional off-center title but is dominated by the warhorses, the Prestige RVG series is not only thankfully much more prolific - but DOES have some fantastic, yet little known, risky titles.

Blue Note does in fact have much less little known titles than Fantasy/Concord. But it's not that they only reissue warhorses as RVGs.

We'll have to see how the Concord series develops. At the beginning, Blue Note reissued mostly very popular titles as RVGs, and only later the less obvious ones.

I just wish Concord wouldn't RVG the same titles they reissued on K2 CD or SACD less than 5 years ago.

Edited by Claude

Blue Note does in fact have much less little known titles than Fantasy/Concord. But it's not that they only reissue warhorses as RVGs.

We'll have to see how the Concord series develops. At the beginning, Blue Note reissued mostly very popular titles as RVGs, and only later the less obvious ones.

I just wish Concord wouldn't RVG the same titles they reissued on K2 CD or SACD less than 5 years ago.

I know what you mean about doing titles as RVG's so soon after the K2's. I guess that when Concord took over they decided to go to the RVG direction, makes much sense because the RVG's have such cachet that they must competely outstrip the K2 in sales, and to make the RVG's catch on they would have to throw in the obvious ones. SACD is just such a dead issue that any reissue in that format is largely irrelevant to a company's reissue plans now. But - I'm thrilled about how many not obvious ones they have thrown in.

The Honeydripper is just amazing, not just sound, but incredible music that just blows the tired Jimmy Smith BN's away. Really looking forward to the Yusef Lateef - it took Verve years before they even bothered to try reissuing a Lateef title, and his best stuff is on Impulse and remains unreleased - great to see him appear so early in this new series.

I hope they keep it up, and keep the flow of titles coming so quickly.

I'm with Parkertown on this one. Robert H., would you care to expand on what you feel makes JOS BN's "tired", and which ones?

Prayer Meeting and Rockin' the Boat come immediately to mind, especially given that CHICKEN SHACK and MIDNIGHT SPECIAL have yet to see the RVG treatment. And The Sounds of Jimmy Smith? That was the weakest disc in the Mosaic! How come AT THE ORGAN or A DATE WITH didn't get similar treatment? Those are FAR superior! At The Organ, Volume 3? Without 1 or 2? I think the above comment is aimed more at the folks who made the decision to release these titles without considering any of the other (and far superior, IMO) titles Smith put out!

ok, I will give it that Prayer Meetin and Rockin the Boat have similar feels, and, they were contractual obligation records. But, I have to disagree with The Sounds of Jimmy Smith being weak, I don't have the RVG b/c I have the Mosaic. I enjoy the Date with Jimmy Smith session, though to me its not as polished as the later jams to come, and there are balance issues with the sound, especially noticeable with the organ on "Falling in Love with Love".

Edited by CJ Shearn

I want to thank you all. Thank you.

We pore furriners miss a fair number of jokes. I missed Michael Cuscuna's joke on the original LP sleeve note of Grant Green's "Solid" - "Grant's tune, not tomb..."

(I note with interest that he expunged it from the CD release.)

Didn't even know it was a warhorse joke...

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

MG, Groucho Marx hosted a quiz show called You Bet Your Life, which was a little bit of quiz with a whole lot of Groucho comments. If the contestants didn't win any money, he would offer them a consolation prize if they could answer an obvious question.

Others that come to mind are:

What do you shoot with an elephant gun?

What was the occupation of the famous painter Rembrandt? (I remember the contestants having a problem with that one!)