BFT 38 - Disc 1 (Discussion)

Part of that is my fault for not returning Matt's Saturday phone call until last night (sorry everyone).

I'm the first poster here! WOO HOO! The first person to make a phool of himself! And away we go!

Track 1: Well, if I didn’t already own the Herbie Blue Note box, I would guess it was from that era. Sounds like it could’ve been a Maiden Voyage outtake. Very nice. Lovely soprano solo, too. Maybe a Dave Holland or other ECM recording?

Track 2: Very nice. Love the guitar and the muted trumpet. Just wish it was mixed a little louder. May need to investigate this one thru the headphones or something.

Track 3: Oooooh, I like the sound of the piano over the held-note by the trumpet & sax! An oboe!!! Wow! Or is that a clarinet? Or both! Sounds like a successfully swingin’ hybrid of classical & jazz, whatever that means. Quite adventurous to these ears.

Track 4: More adventure, but less interest. Drones like this only hold my attention for so long.

Track 5: Groovy beat! Sounds recent. Nice enough, but it doesn’t really reach out and grab me. Still a refreshing little swinger after the previous two adventures!

Track 6: Sounds like a modern take on the old tenor battles. No clue as to who it is, though.

Track 7: HA! More jazz accordion!!! And whatta beat! Oooooh, I love that ‘bone solo!! Soooo groovy! And dare I say it: greeeeeeeeeeeeeeazy!!!

Track 8: Nice piano solo. No clue, though.

Track 9: A much nicer piano solo! There was a chord change at about 1:18 that was real sweet! Ah, now some groovy boogie-woogie! Boy, do I love that vamp! Hey, wait a sec… how long has this been going on? Lordhavemercy, this goes on for ten minutes? Man, this is starting to sound kinda like a chamber solo. Not bad, mind you; but I sure am having trouble staying awake. Think I’ll move along to the next one.

Track 10: Nice enough, I guess. This might be good for relaxing or drifting off to dreamland. Here at the office, unfortunately, it’s making my eyes heavy. Sorry.

Track 11: Sounds like Mark Whitfield. Wonder whatever happened to him? He had such a beautiful tone.

All in all, not a bad disc, and I’d probably enjoy it more if the environment were different (I’ll probably listen to this again at home, or maybe next week when I’m traveling; a little difficult to enjoy the nuances here at the office). But a fine job nonetheless! Now, on to disc two!!!

4 sounds kind of mid-eastern. Quite interesting but I've no idea who are they are.

No clue as to 5 either. Propulsive but I find the rhythm a little monotonous after a while.

Inspiration absent on 6 too. Doesn't sound familiar at all but quite liked it.

Nothing much to contribute on this instalment of disc 1 - perhaps I'll do better on disc 2.

Thanks a lot, Jazzclinic, for compiling (and Steven for passing on!). The usual disclaimers apply.

Now this BFT is almost the opposite of mine, the preceding one, which avoided the common jazz grooves, the wide range of modern swinging - these disc are full of this! I don't think I know any of this music, and find it hard to recognize anybody, as I don't listen to this kind of jazz any more (except for BFT discs .....) and don't have the funds to buy much of it - the more welcome these selections are: Otherwise I wouldn't get to hear much of this. Thanks again.

If much of this doesn't thrill me too much it's entirely my fault, as my tastes and centers of interest are constantly changing.

# 1: Some modern freewheeling jazz waltz - I'd guess the pianist is the leader, but I don't find him very distinctive, nor the soprano saxist that follows. Nice, but nothing that really grabs my attention.

# 2: I hear two guitarists, but since one of them disappears entirely for the remainder of the tarck, I guess he or she overdubbed ..... The horns come as a surprise, I would have expected a guitar duo with bass and drums. Why not have the horns play the harmony behind the guitar introduction? Or the guitar behind the horns? Sounds like an afterthought added after the band had left. That gives it a disjointed, undedcided touch, and that's a pity, because it's a pretty track, concise, no frills, and the drummer is very nice.

# 3: Tango-like piano intro. Clarinet and tenor sax. That clarinets has some Klezmer influences that I dislike - and that tenor saxist that Garbarek-like tone. Doesn't say much. Definitely not for me.

# 4: This one has a nice mood, although it has that typical European/Scandinavian sound that I have heard too often - not bad, but kind of bores me - as I said this is nothing new to me.

# 5: Interesting 6/4 rhythm. At first I was skeptical - not enough variation from the pianist, but the way the improvise around that groove catches my attention. That pianist and drummer have a good thing goin' - my favourite track so far. Would like to hear more. If the rest of that disc is as good, I would buy this. Only thing that leaves question marks is that the xylophone or whatever it is appears only for the theme statement - is this some keyboard sound utilized by the pianist? Would have liked to hear a solo. :tup:tup:tup

# 6: Starts with a nice groove, but I don't like the solo styles of the pianist and saxist.

# 7: Interesting writing and instrumentation although I wish the accordion was integrated more into the theme statement. The conga and and bongo player are in one world, the trap drummer in another - this way the percussionist are superfluous, but it's not their fault - the rhythmic aspect of the writing and the drummer's groove did not do them justice. The drummer plays as if they weren't there. With a drummer more sensitive to the Cuban gooves and a lighter style this would have worked better. Strange mixture of modern big band writing and soloing (the trumpet!) and more experimental attitudes. Hmmm ..... not quite successful, but an interesting attempt.

# 8: I like a solo piano to be either more concrete rhythmically or start peacefully before it goes into a rhythm like that - NMCOT - don't know what he wants to say with this.

# 9: More solo piano - again of the agile, energetic type, but I like this one better: The grooves are much clearer and he/she sounds pretty engaged. At last some musical humor, too! Nice. Who is this? And in the end, "These foolish things" ..... this player has some good spirits and a sense of humor! :)

# 10: Too bad this highly qualified live performance suffers from the low fidelity - the high end of the frequency range is almost non-existent. Cymbals and brushes are practically inaudible. That guitarist has good very taste and a lot of experience, knows how to pace himself, takes his time - classic style. I hear some Jim Hall, but I am not sure. Could do without the saxophonist. Guitarist is the best of the bunch. Would like to know who he is.

# 11: That guitarist and bassist dig in from the first note! Arrrrghhhh - I know that guitarist ..... wasn't he on one of the first BFT's? Guitarist has more substance than the bassist, who noodles a bit. Drummer is nice.

Track # 5 was the high point, for me. Nice compilation, not the type of stuff I listen to that often, but I'm thankful for these looks into the jazz mainstream. :tup

Ok, here's my impressions on a first listen of disc one, as usual this is my first checking in in this thread...

#1 Nice piano solo, but nothing here that really jumps at me. Sounds like a fairly contemporary recording to me? Some traces of Tyner in the piano solo, I think. Drums are nice. Soprano is quite good... hmm, it this older? I'm quite sure I don't actually know it but somehow the whole thing does sound slightly familiar. Is that Wayne Shorter on soprano? Very nice soft sound! Trumpet and soprano mix very well on the ensembles - I liked this better and better as it continued.

#2 Oh, very nice! Me knows that... it's this on that that

Guitar is great, trumpet is very nice, bass gives it away in a second anyway who's group's at work. Also I think he's got quite his own way of writing these smooth (not meant in a negative way at all) flowing tunes that still have a couple of edges... also I like the tenor player quite a bit better than Chuck. Saw the trio band live and it was great (that is minus trumpet and guitar).

#3 A tango... very nice! No clue, but I like it!

#4 Hmmm... sort of just goes on and on without grabbing me... not bad, but not something that I'd listen to, I think.

#5 I don't like this kind of groove jazz that much... never been a fan of E.S.T. and similar groups... this just sounds too clean for me, too neat and cultivated... there's no funk in there...

#6 More contemporary stuff... hmmm, could this be from ... hmmm... thought it was from Lovano/Osby's "Friendly Fire" but it's not. Clueless then. Not exactly a favourite - again too neat, I suppose... but the saxes are nice, and piano as well.

#7 Starts out real nice with the accordion and bass, but then there's again one of those clean straight beats... don't like how it goes on too much. Just leaves me cold. Trumpet solo is nice, though.

#8 I like this alright. Could be Brad Mehldau? I've heard a very recent solo set of his on radio and it was great, much more... lucent, with a less voluminous sound, totally intriguing. So I'm not sure this is him...

#9 Some kind of medley... pretty nice, actually. This gives me more than the newer cuts (#5, #6, #7) but still it's not exactly a favourite track of mine. Reminds me a bit of the medleys Jaki Byard could play, but this is too clean and not nearly as exuberant... still, as it goes on I start liking it better and better!

#10 "Skylark" - this is such a beautiful tune! I adore some of Carmichael's tunes, and this is definitely one of my most cherished ones! Guitar is very nice, soft... for whatever reason, this brings to mind Joe Diorio. But I'm really no guitar expert at all.

#11 Nice one! I like these last few cuts much better than some of the first half.

# 11: That guitarist and bassist dig in from the first note! Arrrrghhhh - I know that guitarist ..... wasn't he on one of the first BFT's? Guitarist has more substance than the bassist, who noodles a bit. Drummer is nice.

had that arrrrghhhh moment there, too... bassist's one of those Scott LaFaro (ok, he himself was great) via Eddie Gomez clones, I suppose? But guitar is very nice!

I didn't dare guessing on the standard of the second piano solo cut after my mis-nomers with your BFT, but this time I'd have gotten it right...

Still no ideas about 7 either. Cannot name the tune. Sounds like a flugel horn, soloing first. Rather heavy rhythm - not too keen on this one.

If there is a tune in 8 I don't recognise it. No clue as to who. Pleasant enough.

9 is much the same as 8 except I hear a tune there but don't know what it is. Strong presence.

Tune is "Skylark" on 10 of course - great tune. Brought Jim Hall to mind because of the album "Grand Encounter" I guess but I don't think it's him. The alto doesn't bring any names to mind either. The sound is shaky on my version.

11 is a blues but I don't recognise the tune even though it sounds a bit familiar. Sounded a bit like Kenny Burrell at first - might be but didn't sound quite fluent enough.

That concludes my comments on disc 1 - didn't contribute much I know but I can now read others comments with impunity. I see you've posted, Mike so I'll have a look now.

Thanks for a varied and demanding disc, JC. I shall certainly listen some more in time to come.

Guitar is great, trumpet is very nice, bass gives it away in a second anyway who's group's at work. Also I think he's got quite his own way of writing these smooth (not meant in a negative way at all) flowing tunes that still have a couple of edges... also I like the tenor player quite a bit better than Chuck. Saw the trio band live and it was great (that is minus trumpet and guitar).

I'm surprised - but I'm not familiar with most of his albums. Still: why did he overdub that second guitar in the intro? Or was that the bassist chording?

I'm surprised - but I'm not familiar with most of his albums. Still: why did he overdub that second guitar in the intro? Or was that the bassist chording?

I'm having a hard time telling apart what's bass and what's guitar... I think bass plays just the single-line solo/melody, while guitar is chording AND occasionally playing bass notes - but I'm not sure. Doesn't really sound like overdubbing to me.

Btw, while this is a nice tune, I think I'd have made a different choice from "Deconstructed" or the similar "Always Pack Your Uniform on Top". I like both of these quite some!

Listening again to 1. I like this. Trumpet and sop sax front line. Time signature sounds like 6/4 maybe. Piano leads off so perhaps the leader of the group? This album, track 8?

That link leads me nowhere!

I tested it and it was okay then. Anyway, it's Bruce Barth, "A Joyful Noise" from album "East and West". Here's the link again. Sorry about that.

Listening again to 1. I like this. Trumpet and sop sax front line. Time signature sounds like 6/4 maybe. Piano leads off so perhaps the leader of the group? This album, track 8?

That link leads me nowhere!

I tested it and it was okay then. Anyway, it's Bruce Barth, "A Joyful Noise" from album "East and West". Here's the link again. Sorry about that.

Thanks, this one works! Never heard of Barth and except Foster am not familiar really with any of the others...

I should've figured this was an ECM recording, based on the fidelity. I need to listen to this one again, now that I've seen the lineup!

1. Pleasant unison playing on an attractive head. Solos by piano and soprano. Impressive extended solo by the piano and concise statement from soprano. Solid track to lead off the disc.

2. Older sounding recording featuring guitar bass and drums to open and horns come in later. Relaxed trumpet solo starts things. Guitar solo stays with the relaxed mode and the interjections by the horns during the solo keep it interesting.

3. Dramatic piece with a tango like rhythm. I like the clarinetist’s sound. It is somewhat familiar. The piece reminds me of some things I have heard out of California based clarinetist Mark Sowlakis – in particular the emphasis on the composition, the clarinetists pure tone and the deemphasis of solos. Interesting track.

4. I listened to this track several times and the alto saxophonist made me think about Greg Osby, but I don’t think it is him. Could be David Binney. No wait. Is that Vijay Iyer with Rudresh Mahanthappa? It is very familiar. I really liked the pianist. His solo had an edgy tension that kept my interest. The more I listen it is probably not Iyer so I will guess Binney with Craig Taborn.

5. The pianist reminded me of Geri Allen’s early recordings – that bounciness of some of her earlier compositions. It is not Allen though. Strong feeling of momentum in this track. As I listen now I find my head bobbing and my feet tapping. The pianist’s solo seems to build to a nice climax before winding down, but then it continued for a little too long.

6. The pianist’s initial statement though short, was very thoughtful. The bassist and drummer keep a nice groove throughout and the two tenors engage in an interesting exchange. Enjoyable track.

7. Something different. Sounds like an accordion and violin in the mix with a larger ensemble. Strangely the trumpet soloist sounds familiar. Not a monstrous display of chops, but effective on this track. Decent track, but not something I would be motivated to listen to on my own.

8. I tried, but I am not really getting into this particular solo piano track. Seemed to be going nowhere.

9. in some ways this pianist’s use of a slightly repetitive left hand figure is similar to the preceding track, but what he/she plays on top of that is more interesting. At about 2:20 into the track things loosen up a bit for a moment and alternate back and forth. It is kind of episodic. Something I think I would enjoy more with each listen. Could it be Jaki Byard? No. Very impressive track.

10. Sounds like Jim Hall with Greg Osby. Good stuff. Everyone seems to be listening to and playing off each other very well.

11. There were some things that reminded me of Mark Whitfield. I have not heard much of him since his Warner Brothers days, but I was very fond of his Grant Green influenced tone. If this is him from the most recent trio recording available on his website, that recording just got moved up a few places on my want list. Yes! Strong playing by the entire trio.

Well, I hate to say it but Disc 1 varied from "pleasant enough" to "not holding my attention". No names jumped out at me and frankly, none of the tunes made me want to immediately hit the back button to hear them again. :mellow:

yeah dan but you can't beat the price you paid for the disc!

:P

i enjoyed it but only recognized song #2 (i posted about this cd recently)

thanks for an enjoyable cd!

:)

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with some of the remarks. I hope that with my responses you'll get an idea why I like these musicians so much. Some of the tracks, I admit, I threw on without carefully picking the best track from the album but alot of that time it was because I didn't want to put standards on this BFT and I think there is really only one - part of track 9 on this disc.

Anyways, I look forward to more thoughtful responses like those posted by reylyles, tooter, big al, and mike weil. I think you will all be pleasantly surprised at some of your guesses, which have been correct.

Track 1 thankfully has been guessed correctly. This is one of my favorite songs in jazz from the last 10 years. I think it's the gospelish quality, the person it's dedicated to, and the fact that these musicians work together so much that their playing really gels nicely and you hear their empathy for one another.

Track 2 has also been correctly identified. One of my favorite groups. I wish I had been around listening to jazz if and when they ever toured as this ensemble. The trumpet player was a surprise to me with these other guys, given the company he generally keeps. ;-)

I would be pretty shocked if anyone got Track 3 since these musicians were totally unbeknownst to me until I heard it one day at the office. It's definitely mid-Eastern but might not be from where you initially think of. Actually, now that I think of it, it wouldn't surprise me if one of you Europeans or Russians out there got it

a side note: I wish more people cared to sign up for this stuff so I could spread the word on some of these younger unknown players.

Track 4 has been quasi-guessed. But not definitively. I've probably played this song at least 50 times on my computer and more on my ipod. These guys are the future of the music, IMO.

Track 5 is a track that is new to me, but definitely one that caught my attention the first few times I listened to the CD. I do agree that it goes on a bit too long to sustain interest, but I wanted you guys to know that this guy exists (and that I really dig the ostinato figure in the pianist's left hand). The leader is a local musician but has played with some big names during his career.

Track 6 is a doosie (sp?)/(American idiomatic expression for something difficult). Unless any of you are really up to date on your young cats, you will not guess who the leader or the supporting players are. I think the tenors really go at it good and the bassist is extremely competent. This CD is a gem and was recently picked up by Fresh Sound after I had received it for review for All About Jazz a couple years earlier in self-released form (I never wrote about it on the site, but keep meaning to).

Track 7 I have talked about a lot on this bboard. The trumpet player should be familiar but the others are not so recognizable, and it's a very large ensemble on this track so its difficult to pick out individual players. I love the bouncy feel.

Track 8 is a new pianist who you've never heard of unless you're aware of the Canadian scene. And Nate Dorward (a Canadian aware of the jazz scene there) hasn't yet heard the BFT as of tonight. But Nate, I hope you guess it because we've talked about this guy before (I think). A beautiful song, IMHO.

Track 9 is a very famous pianist. I am actually quite shocked no one has gotten it yet. But I trust one of you will. There were other tells in this disc that I had to avoid in order to keep his identity a secret.

Track 10 has bee correctly guessed. But by who?

Track 11 does have Mark Whitfield on it, but this was not his date. It's from a much broader CD with a host of players who were big in the 90s as young lions. The leader is a very in-demand sideman in America and those of you outside the US, have surely seen him on tour in Europe as well. Another young guy whose talent is promise for the future of the music.

That's all for now. I hope this commentary helps while not giving too much away.

Edited by jazzclinic

I see I don't make your list of thoughtful commentators - sorry about that. No offense intended. I suppose we're all grown-ups, and tastes are different, so yes, not all tracks on your discs grabbed me, but still I did try and say something about each of them. Not talking about what one doesn't like is a bad option in life... anyway, apologies if anything I posted came across as rude or too frankly said.

Your comments were nice ubu. I forgot to list you in that short list. I was a little upset that Dan decided to write it off immediately as music that didn't grab him. But then again Dan is a hardcore Blue Note freak - I've seen his collection of BNs and Mosaics. I guess its hard to hear people dis music you like a lot.

Matt

Your comments were nice ubu. I forgot to list you in that short list. I was a little upset that Dan decided to write it off immediately as music that didn't grab him. But then again Dan is a hardcore Blue Note freak - I've seen his collection of BNs and Mosaics. I guess its hard to hear people dis music you like a lot.

Matt

Thanks Matt! I was a bit (well, actually more,... I'm getting a bit touchy, I assume...) irritated by your post, as I really tried to add something to the discussion. I can understand your frustration, though... on my BFT there were a few similar reactions. Anyway, Dan should have loved #1 and #2 of the second disc, at least! ;)

I guess its hard to hear people dis music you like a lot.

Matt

Yes - but that's one of the things you must be prepared for as a blindfold test master. We all suffered this - but at the same time I got positive reactions on tracks that I thought everybody would :tdown !

Matt

different people take different approaches to BFT, and you ought to know that if you've participated in even a few (and I know you have). I frankly have more important things to deal with right now than in depth commentary on the songs you selected, or spending a few more hours trying to "get it". I listened; much of the music didn't grab me. BFD.

These discs get a wide variety of responses. Hell, nine times out of ten, Evan gives some sort of variation on "I can't identify anyone, but I liked it. Thanks a lot". The fact is that you shouldn't be seeking validation by expecting universal acclaim for the songs you selected.

Matt

different people take different approaches to BFT, and you ought to know that if you've participated in even a few (and I know you have). I frankly have more important things to deal with right now than in depth commentary on the songs you selected, or spending a few more hours trying to "get it". I listened; much of the music didn't grab me. BFD.

These discs get a wide variety of responses. Hell, nine times out of ten, Evan gives some sort of variation on "I can't identify anyone, but I liked it. Thanks a lot". The fact is that you shouldn't be seeking validation by expecting universal acclaim for the songs you selected.

I appreciate what you are saying, but isn't part of the point of this whole exercise to comment on who you honestly respond to the music? IMO it should not simply be an identification test. It takes a lot of thought and time to compile one of these discs and I can understand how it would be frustrating to go through all that work and then have participants not even take the time to comment. It is not a matter of seeking validation or acclaim. Regardless of whether the response is positive or negative I think the preparer of a BFT would appreciate a little more than a simple two line dismissal of an entire disc.

Edited by relyles