BFT 38 - Disc 1 (Discussion)

Your comments were nice ubu. I forgot to list you in that short list. I was a little upset that Dan decided to write it off immediately as music that didn't grab him. But then again Dan is a hardcore Blue Note freak - I've seen his collection of BNs and Mosaics. I guess its hard to hear people dis music you like a lot.

Matt

different people take different approaches to BFT, and you ought to know that if you've participated in even a few (and I know you have). I frankly have more important things to deal with right now than in depth commentary on the songs you selected, or spending a few more hours trying to "get it". I listened; much of the music didn't grab me. BFD.

These discs get a wide variety of responses. Hell, nine times out of ten, Evan gives some sort of variation on "I can't identify anyone, but I liked it. Thanks a lot". The fact is that you shouldn't be seeking validation by expecting universal acclaim for the songs you selected.

I appreciate what you are saying, but isn't part of the point of this whole exercise to comment on who you honestly respond to the music? IMO it should not simply be an identification test. It takes a lot of thought and time to compile one of these discs and I can understand how it would be frustrating to go through all that work and then have participants not even take the time to comment. It is not a matter of seeking validation or acclaim. Regardless of whether the response is positive or negative I think the preparer of a BFT would appreciate a little more than a simple two line dismissal of an entire disc.

This issue has been discussed before. The fact is that different people approach this differently, and they always will. Some are uncomfortable making musical comments. Some can't be bothered. There was even one person who objected to the entire idea that everyone should feel obligated to comment, and told us that he just wants to see what other people put on a BFT prior to assembling his own.

You get whatever responses you get. Some are going to go in depth, some aren't.

Now, after this diverting discussion, I can't wait to hear the responses I get on my BFT in August. Fair warning: I didn't pick songs I especially love. Some are just meant to make people say "WTF?"

BFT 38 Disc 1

By and large, this is a very enjoyable chunk of music. Thanks to you Matt, and to Rodney for copying it, too. I found it significantly easier to get into this BFT than into the last, perhaps because it wasn’t so odd. Not that I actually recognised much. Nor have I been able to detect whether there’s a theme to the disc.

1 I got a feeling of a Duke Pearson arrangement, with Donald Byrd in the ensemble. But the piano player seems to be the leader and it ain’t Duke. It sounds more like Cedar or McCoy, though I don’t really know. The drummer is really kicking this along in places. I liked the soprano solo, too; flows well. Don’t know who THAT is, either. Good stuff, though not devastating.

2 This sounds like an old fashioned swing type tune to start off with, when it’s just guitar over brushes. Once the ensemble comes in, playing the tune, it sounds more modern. Maybe it’s a modern tune on changes of an old swing number. The whole thing swings beautifully, particularly the muted trumpet solo by I don’t know (he plays a lot of stuff on this disc but I feel I should recognise him in this incarnation), and the drums beneath him are very persuasive. The guitarist, when he comes in for a solo, sounds a bit accomplished. Very nice ending to this.

3 Ah, the TANGO! It killed me! This is music that would be divine for dancing with your lady (assuming you and she can tango, of course). Dramatic piano intro. Ravishing clarinet solo. Romantic piano solo! It’s so beautiful, passionate, romantic, joyful, exultant it just fucking kills me!

4 First time I heard this, I wasn’t sure I liked it all that much. Second time, I liked it a lot more – perhaps because I wasn’t listening on the walkman but in the ambiance of a room. Very modern, very interesting all the way through. A standard tenor & rhythm quartet, but sounding nothing like it. Although I like it, I suspect the appeal is less visceral than intellectual.

5 Now this is visceral! It sounds like it’s in 10/8. And it bleeding wails! Maybe there are some of the same players in this and #4. What I wrote while I was hearing this for the first time (yelling in the park), was this. “Piano solo really hitting! Exciting? What! Bloody hell! MF!” Yes, I DID enjoy that one.

6 Two saxes & rhythm. Another interesting rhythm. It’s a bit modern and spiky. When we get to the exchange between the alto & tenor, I feel that the tenor player is in charge. His playing flows more, too. This sounds like the sort of thing European musicians do in order to establish street credibility. It’s OK, but nothing special for me.

7 Accordion! Must be French :) Violin. Violins. Big band, strings, Latin percussion. Must be Enoch Light & the Light Brigade :D

OK serious now. Here comes a flugelhorn player. Nice sound. Nice solo when it gets going. But there’s too much arrangement – it forces him to be in certain places at certain times. I get a strong feeling that he’d like to break free of the arrangement and just blow, but he’s too disciplined for that.

8 Solo piano piece. Sounds like a classical piece, but there’s something about the changes that sounds like jazz. Good piano playing but it doesn’t get to me.

9 “These foolish things”, live, with a long intro. The intro is what my friend Alison calls jazz wanking. I’m too polite, of course :P So, after wasting five and a half minutes showing off with that little descending figure he keeps coming back to, he moves, not entirely smoothly, into the song. And it’s a good deal better, though he’s still showing off rather a lot.

10 Guitar. Lots of tape hiss. Is this a clue? I ask myself. “Skylark”. Warbling recording quality – another clue. Alto sax. Charlie Parker? Almost certainly, I think, though I’m no expert on Bird. Strangely, the bass solo seemed to get a bigger cheer than Bird. Back to the guitarist. If this is Bird, is the guitarist that guy who painted signs in a New England fishing village? (Can’t remember his name.) Nice discussion between alto & guitar about when and how we’re going to finish this.

11 Guitar, bass & drums. Possibly one of those West Coast guitarists whose work I haven’t heard much – Kessel or Hall or someone like that. Long bass solo. The tune, which is only hinted at, I think, reminds me of “Blues in the closet”. Nice swinging ending to the disc.

There are two cuts in there that I simply MUST find out about and, probably, get. Thank you so much for those two!!!

MG

BFT 38 Disc 1

10 Guitar. Lots of tape hiss. Is this a clue? I ask myself. “Skylark”. Warbling recording quality – another clue. Alto sax. Charlie Parker? Almost certainly, I think, though I’m no expert on Bird. Strangely, the bass solo seemed to get a bigger cheer than Bird. Back to the guitarist. If this is Bird, is the guitarist that guy who painted signs in a New England fishing village? (Can’t remember his name.) Nice discussion between alto & guitar about when and how we’re going to finish this.

MG

Tal Farlow? Must listen again soon.

I'll get my disc 2 comments written later today.

I think the value of the BFT concept is demonstrated by whatever the tango at #3 on disc 1 is. There's no way in the world I would ever have picked up a trio of piano, clarinet and tenor from, I guess, somewhere like Khazakstan!

Thanks again!

MG

BFT 38 Disc 1

MG

I just played "The Return of Tal Farlow" for the first time last night... love him! But Matt has mentioned that the guitarist had been id-d correctly, and Farlow wasn't mentioned so far...

BFT 38 Disc 1

MG

I just played "The Return of Tal Farlow" for the first time last night... love him! But Matt has mentioned that the guitarist had been id-d correctly, and Farlow wasn't mentioned so far...

Oh yes - I think Jim Hall's name was mentioned. But I didn't cheat and look before I leaped into print ;)

MG

• 2 weeks later...

BFT #38

I know the answers have already been posted, but I got the discs late, and I promise I haven’t looked! :cool:

1. The piano reminds me of early McCoy Tyner, or perhaps a young Chick Corea. Can’t place the soprano. At first I thought Dave Liebman, but maybe it’s Joe Farrell?

2. Two guitars here? I listened to the first part and I swear there are two. I’m reminded of Jim Hall in places. No idea on the trumpet, although I like his playing. Towards the end I’m only hearing one guitar.

3. A nice tango feel here, with a lyrical piano. The tenor at first seemed like Gato Barbieri, but I wonder if it might be Jan Garbarek. Puzzled by the clarinet.

4. Can’t get a handle on this one. Pianist is a little busy, and the whole thing descends into cacophony for a while. Lost interest about halfway through.

5. An interesting groove – 10/8, I think. Not a clue.

6. Two distinctly different sounding tenor players here. Nice pianist. It’s hard to find something to say other than “interesting” when you have no idea who you are listening to!

7. More South American sounds. Is that a bandoneon? A fine trumpet player.

8. This one didn’t go anywhere for me.

9. A medley from a pianist I can’t recognize. The first tune is vaguely familiar, then into a fast blues. This guy can play. Eventually he lands on “These Foolish Things”.

10. “Skylark”. I’m reminded of Lee Konitz, but I don’t think it’s him.

11. At first, I thought this was some young guitarist playing a Kenny Burrell-styled blues. On second listen, I think I recognized Barney Kessel, especially from a phrase he plays twice at about 1:00. I think this might be from his album “Feeling Free” with Elvin Jones on drums. I’m so used to hearing Barney with the steady groove of Shelly Manne that I was thrown off at first by Elvin’s unpredictable-ness, but I definitely like it!

And now on to disc #2.