Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it's going to be "upgraded" at some point?

I know it's "pricey" and all, but isn't this one of those "long haul" things that most every fan of post-bop jazz will eventualy get, or flirt long and hard with getting?

Don't they make more - and more easily - just selling the singles? There IS a price point issue with that box!

It would be interesting to find out how many Coltrane boxes sold in the last couple of years. I believe the straight retail price on this one was/is something like $220. Even in the best of times, that's a self-limiting proposition in that only real die-hards tend to buy it. Not only that, but the afroementioned die-hards probably purchased their copies long ago and those who didn't get theirs on eBay. So, if original product is no longer moving, why keep it around? You can double down on that possibility as a result of new ownership. I don't know this for a fact, but Concord has to be exponentially more bottom line oriented than the previous owners. Basic principle of retail...excess inventory kills.

Another thought. The more Coltrane gets recycled by any label, and Lord knows, we've been "compilationed" to death when it comes to Trane, the more it would seem the market for comprehensive retrospecitves like a 16 CD box would shrink. Too much of a good thing is still too much of a good thing.

Up over and out.

I think we may see repackagings in smaller sets. . .the Red Garland material. . . the leader dates MAYBE all under one cover. . . perhaps all the big saxophone jam sessions in one. . . as time goes by. This may be a route that Concord intends for the catalog in general, and judging by their successful (imo) first efforts, I say let 'em.

I think a 16CD box set is too much. They should have released this material entirely, either chronologically, but split it up into 4 box sets (Vol.1-4), or thematically (Complete Red Garland/John Coltrane Sessions, etc).

Reissuing the original albums doesn't make much sense when these were compiled from various sessions, as was often the case with Prestige albums.

Edit: what Lon said :)

Edited by Claude

u are all nuts. coltrane box is essential. it should never go out of print. no they should not split it up. its a nice handy package. yeah its intense, but SO IS THE FACT COLTRANE RECORDED SO MANY DAMN ALBUMS. the one thing i dont like is the over 200 dollar list. if u cant handle the box i say you cant handle coltrane. this after all is BY ALL MEANS coltranes CARREER HIGHLIGHT, this box. this is is most accomplished bebop work. his later impulse stuff does not impress me nearly as much. that stuff is ok, and different, w/ his famous quartet, but the true cutting edge bop solos of his prestige era,is is the true meat and potatoes of any coltrane collection.

Surely it's going to be "upgraded" at some point?

I know it's "pricey" and all, but isn't this one of those "long haul" things that most every fan of post-bop jazz will eventualy get, or flirt long and hard with getting?

I'm guessing that most of those that acquire it are hardcore jazz fans. It probably doesn't have the "mass appeal" of the Atlantic, Impulse! Studio or even 1961 VV boxes. (It's also substantially larger than any of those.)

Guy

I personally passed on the K2s of Coltrane & Evans on my huge 95 CD Concord purchase and went for the boxes instead. You gotta draw the line somewhere and the original masterings had decent sound if not as great as the K2s. I hate having the same material twice or three times, so I compromised.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I personally passed on the K2s of Coltrane & Evans on my huge 95 CD Concord purchase and went for the boxes instead. You gotta draw the line somewhere and the original masterings had decent sound if not as great as the K2s. I hate having the same material twice or three times, so I compromised.

Somehow seeing "95" in the same paragraph as "compromised" made me chuckle.

I "starved" myself with 60-something :g:g

Last year I was having a REALLY bad day and in order to cheer myself up I just went to Borders and unloaded full price for this set. It made me feel good at the time and I'm still glad I did it, even though now I could buy it from Concord for about 25 percent of what I paid last year.

Also, this set is a fucking monster. It will eat your children for breakfast and crap them out before lunch time.