Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

I had this box and sold it. At 16 Cds it's just too much. As I think take 5, listening to that many cds reduces it too scholarly tedium. I'm starting to feel that way about all boxes actually.

A 6 Cd bpx is easier to take and I'll be interested to see what's on it.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this box and sold it. At 16 Cds it's just too much. As I think take 5, listening to that many cds reduces it too scholarly tedium. I'm starting to feel that way about all boxes actually.

What rule instructs you to listen to them all at once? :o

Once you start you have to finish. And no getting up to go to the bathroom!

My sanity or what's left of it wouldn't allow me to listen to a massive box set all at once it would be something I would try to accomplish over a period of time. Take 6 billion of anything might be ok for scholars and music critics but for the average listener it really doesn't cut it. Besides there's a lot of listening to be done.

I've had it for years and have largely ignored it. I would go through periods of being interested in it, but it is just so big and imposing. And everything looks the same. I would recommend listening to this set just a "session" at a time.

I've actually been getting into this music more as individual albums as I've been picking up the OJCs and mid-seventies Prestige/Milestone two-fers of this material on Lps for the last year or so...since I got a turntable last year. :cool::tup

I've had a tt just over a year and I already have over 1200 Lps!!! :excited::huh::o

I have no self-control... :ph34r:

Edited by Parkertown

COLTRANE ALBUMS

CATTIN' WITH COLTRANE AND QUINICHETTE

COLTRANE

LUSH LIFE

TRANEING IN

THE BELIEVER

THE LAST TRANE

SOULTRANE

SETTIN' THE PACE

BLACK PEARLS

STANDARD COLTRANE

STARDUST

BAHIA

BURRELL & COLTRANE

DAKAR

THE CATS

INTERPLAY FOR 2 TRUMPETS AND 2 TENORS

TENOR CONCLAVE

WHEELIN' AND DEALIN'

GENE AMMONS

GROOVE BLUES

THE BIG SOUND

TADD DAMERON

MATING CALL

RAY DRAPER QUINTET

FEATURING JOHN COLTRANE

RED GARLAND

ALL MORNIN' LONG

DIG IT!

HIGH PRESSURE

SOUL JUNCTION

ELMO HOPE

INFORMAL JAZZ

SONNY ROLLINS

TENOR MADNESS

ART TAYLOR

TAYLOR'S WAILERS

MAL WALDRON

THE DEALERS

MAL - 2

Edited by Soulstation1

Just received this box today from Concord (along with the Evans box). I'm not really sure I understand all the negative attitudes about it (and boxes of this size in general). Sure, it's a massive set...there's a lot, a WHOLE lot, of music to digest. But, as Chuck stated, who says you gotta listen to it all at once?! Does anyone need every note that Coltrane recorded for Prestige? Well, no...ofcourse not. But, it's a good feeling to know that you have every note that Coltrane recorded for Prestige, just in case you wanna, y'know, hear a particular one. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I never would've bought this set at full price...or even half price, for that matter. But at $60, there's just no way that I could pass it up. Yes, this set will probably sit on the shelf more than it gets played. This is because I, like Parkertown, very much prefer to hear music in its original album sequence while holding the album in my hands, looking at the cover, reading the liners...all that. So I will continue to pick up the OJC LP's as I come across them. However, this box is still something nice to have as one of the many "cornerstones" of my collection. Even if its purpose is relegated to nothing more than a reference source, of sorts...that's okay. It's still good to have. And I do, on occassion, enjoy hearing particular sessions as they were recorded, which would be very difficult to do if all I had were the OJC LP's!

It's a big box, yeah...but, "too big"? No. Just gotta enjoy it a little at a time is all. ;)

I do enjoy discovering the music in a box when I first get it. But after the first listem. I've never been one to sit and listen to a box exclusively from end to end.

I enjoy boxes as they (usually) provide me with an opportunity to pick up a significant prtion of an artist's work at a decent price. After the first listen, I usually throw a disc on from time to time - generally on ramdom play with several other discs on my CD changer. YIKES!

Our forum colleague John (couw) made some booklets for the ZYX/Fantasy box sets with the complete discographical info. They can be printed and folded to fit the boxes:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/couw/Documents/

I'm sure that John hasn't done this* ------ but does there exist online a similarly formatted info sheet/booklet for the Evans Complete Verve box that can be printed?

* or has he? :cool:

******MY FRIEND MAILED ME ON INSTANT MESSENGER THE ONLY KNOWN RECORDING OF GETZ AND COLTRANE TOGETHER!!!!!!!**** IT IS AWESOME- 1960, JAZZ AT THE PHILIHARMONIC, with WYNTON KELLY TRIO!!! they do a ballard medley, then Hackensack

they do a ballard medley

J.G.?

There's a ballad medley of Paul Chambers doing "Don't Explain", Wynton Kelly doing "Autumn Leaves", Trane doing "What's New", & Getz closing it out w/"Moonlight In Vermont".

Then there's a splice to a perfromance of Trane & Getz toghether on "Hackensack". At sometime during the splice, Kelly got up from the piano bench and was replaced by Oscar Peterson.

I suspect the tape was edited by Rosemary Woods.

Edited by JSngry

None, but I've gotten to the point where I like the individual albums. You tend to lose that with a box. And the 16 are not just leader Cds but dates in which he participated as a sideman. Just too much.

I prefer to get the box sets because, unlike the individual cds, you can bludgeon people to death with them. This one guy came in to my house once and I surprised him by beating him repeatedly over the head with the Coltrane Prestige box, and then switching to one of the Miles' metal spine boxes. He was gone inside of 10 minutes. But then once I tried the same thing with this OTHER guy, but instead had to use a Japanese mini-LP, and was less impressed with the results. The guy just said "Can you quit doing that, please?"

None, but I've gotten to the point where I like the individual albums. You tend to lose that with a box. And the 16 are not just leader Cds but dates in which he participated as a sideman. Just too much.

They shoulda called this box "The Complete Prestige Recordings Of John Coltrane On Sessions Which He Led

Or Was A Sideman On Except With Miles (Caution: For Die-Hard Trane Fans Only Or Your Head Will Detonate)." :D

It's not for everyone, but I can't wait for my copy to arrive (there's never too much Coltrane, IMO).

I just have the K2 of the "Coltrane" album from this period even though my user name would suggest otherwise.

Edited by trane_fanatic