Forthcoming Blue Note projects

cannonball-addict

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=25677

Jazz (2006-08-08)

Blue Note Studio Update: August 2006

New York, NY (Blue Note Records) - Kenny Burrell: The guitar legend and Blue Note alum spent last week at Yoshi's Club in Oakland, CA celebrating his 75th birthday and Blue Note was there to record it. The stint featured Kenny's working band with special guests Hubert Laws on flute and Joey DeFrancesco on B-3 organ. The last night of the week featured Burrell with the Gerald Wilson Big Band. The material will be mixed and mastered later this fall.

Steve Kuhn Trio: A consummate and swinging pianist, Steve Kuhn last made his first appearance on Blue Note as a sideman on drummer Pete LaRoca's 1965 classic 'Basra'. In 1986 Kuhn had a very special trio engagement at the Village Vanguard featuring Ron Carter on bass and Al Foster on drums. The power trio celebrated the 20th anniversary of this gig last month at Birdland and Blue Note rolled tape on the set of orginals and standards including Fatz Waller's 'Jitterbug Waltz 'and Charlie Parker's 'Confirmation'. Kuhn will mix and master the material later this month.

Kenny Werner: The unsung piano hero is recording his debut for Blue Note on September 5th-7th in NYC. The date will feature Werner's very personal writing performed by the all star collective of Chris Potter on saxophones, Dave Douglas on trumpet, Scott Colley on bass, and drummer Brian Blade.

Jacky Terrason: After a brief hiatus Terrasson will be recording his next effort for Blue Note in October. For the first time ever, Jacky will be recording a solo piano album that will include a range of repertoire from standards to new originals.

Wynton Marsalis: Went into the studio last month to record his fourth release for Blue Note. This time around Marsalis documented an extended work still in progress entitled 'From the Plantation to the Penitentiary'. Wynton's working quintet was joined by young chanteuse Jennifer Sanon on vocals and Delfeayo Marsalis produced the affair. They will mix and master in mid-September.

Joe Lovano & Hank JonesL Off the success of Joe Lovano's two wonderful quartet records featuring the legendary Hank Jones we have embarked on this special one-off album. Lovano & Jones performed as duo the week of April 25th at Dizzy's club @ Jazz at Lincoln Center and we ran tape for this joyous encounter. The material was mixed in June and will be mastered soon.

Charles Tolliver: One of the stalwarts of the avante-bop scene of the 1960s, trumpeter Charles Tolliver's direct link to Blue Note's history is the trumpet chair he held in Jackie McLean's group of that decade. In the 1970s he began the Strata-East label with pianist Stanley Cowell and after 5 years of putting out fine records he maintained a relatively low profile until he formed his stunning big band in recent years. The ensemble, which contains a who's-who of jazz musicians from the past three decades, recorded this past June at Bennett Studio in New Jersey. Charles will be mastering soon.

Billy Strayhorn Documentary Soundtrack: In the fall of 2004 Blue Note teamed up with documentary Producer/Director Robert Levi who is following up his Duke Ellington film with a piece on Billy Strayhorn. Levi and crew filmed Blue Note artist performances at Bennett Studios in New Jersey which will be part of the documentary film as well as make up our album release. Featured roster mates include Joe Lovano, Bill Charlap, and Dianne Reeves who each covered four Strayhorn pieces. Special guest Elvis Costello also recorded a version of the Strayhorn classic 'Blood Count' accompanied by Lovano and Charlap. The film is in post-production and we have recently received the final mixes of the soundtrack.

Amos Lee: Has put the finishing touches his sophomore release for Blue Note. The Philadelphia native recorded in both his home city of Philadelphia and in Los Angeles with the assistance of producer Barrie Maguire. A prolific writer at 27, Lee whittled down a wealth of great new material he's penned since his successful debut and mixed the tracks last month in NYC with mixer Kevin Killen. The album documents the diverse and soulful stylings of this exciting young singer/songwriter who is growing artistically by leaps and bounds. Special guests include vocalist Lizz Wright and slide guitarist Greg Leisz.

Norah Jones: Is currently in the studio recording her third album for Blue Note. This time around Norah's showcasing her continual growth and expansiveness as an artist by writing the material for the album. The record will feature her working band along with a number of special guests to be announced. The date is being produced by Lee Alexander.

Suzanne Vega: We are pleased to announce the signing of Suzanne Vega, one of the most distinctive & successful female singer/songwriters of the past 20 years. Since her last album was released in 2001, Vega has been writing new material in her signature style of poetry meets pop. There is an intriguing theme of New York City interwoven into many of the new songs which Suzanne is currently laying down in demo form. We will be recording early this fall with producer and special guests TBD.

Some nice things in there... sad to think that by 2008 or 2009 all of them will be OOP again...

Not to spoil the party too much, but Blue Note does reissue stuff in their RVG Edition that was reissued as regular BN reissues or Connoisseur Series reissues as little as four or five years ago, while most of their 80s/90s catalogue of young, still living, artists, to whom it would mean something to have their albums available, are long gone. I find that sad, not only with regard to the market, but also with regard to Blue Note, the label.

Ok, now the good things: Kuhn has done a few nice things in recent years, so that's good news. Also I enjoy the one Lovano/Jones disc I know (though I think I like some live gigs I have better...). Kenny Werner on BN is definitely nice - he's terrific, probably one where "underrated" at least with regard to the audience/market does fit. Tolliver and Burrell sound interesting, too. And it's nice that Jacky T. is still on the label. His Paris disc wasn't that great, the one with Pahud didn't interest me any, but I still like "Alive" quite some. Anyway, somehow I lost interest in him three or four or even five years ago. A live gig late in 2000 or 2001 was the last thing of his that I really loved.

Steve Kuhn Trio: A consummate and swinging pianist, Steve Kuhn last made his first appearance on Blue Note as a sideman on drummer Pete LaRoca's 1965 classic 'Basra'. In 1986 Kuhn had a very special trio engagement at the Village Vanguard featuring Ron Carter on bass and Al Foster on drums. The power trio celebrated the 20th anniversary of this gig last month at Birdland and Blue Note rolled tape on the set of orginals and standards including Fatz Waller's 'Jitterbug Waltz 'and Charlie Parker's 'Confirmation'. Kuhn will mix and master the material later this month.

I thought about going to see the trio at Birdland last month when I was in NYC last month, but didn't go... Now I regret.

I thought about going to see the trio at Birdland last month when I was in NYC last month, but didn't go... Now I regret.

He'll be at Birdland again on Sept. 20 - 23, although not with this trio. It's part of the Coltrane 80th birthday celebration. Some people may not know he was the first pianist in the Coltrane quartet.

I caught the Kuhn/Carter/Foster trio 20 years ago at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA, when they toured behind their first recording together. Outstanding!

Some good material, raising my esteem of Blue Note a bit more.

I guess I like the albums Terrason has put out a bit more than Flurin, I think they're good straight ahead jazz and I like the "rapturousness" of some of his playing. The solo album should be interesting.

Some good material, raising my esteem of Blue Note a bit more.

I guess I like the albums Terrason has put out a bit more than Flurin, I think they're good straight ahead jazz and I like the "rapturousness" of some of his playing. The solo album should be interesting.

Lon, maybe I was a bit too negative on Terrasson... the "rapturousness" is for sure not something that puts me off in his music! I enjoy "Alive" quite a lot, and I also have the first one (I think it's called just "Jacky Terrasson") and "Reach Out". Only after that I started to be less and less interested. "A Paris" is too much of a patchwork for me, for instance. Oh, and his album with Cassandra Wilson is awful - or at least there are enough awful things on it (Autumn Leaves with kitschy e-piano? no thanks!) for me never to buy it...

To each their own! I didn't necessarily like either the Paris or the Wilson cds at first but have come to over time. They wear well. I got them cheap and gave them a chance. Really like Smile. I think I have them all now and they grew on me.

Your post makes me think... I have Paris, time to play it again, and maybe time to check out the others, too, if I see them somewhere. It's been years, and while I have and enjoy several of Wilson's albums, the encounter with Jacky didn't strike me as successful, but as I said, it's been years since I last tried it...

He'll be at Birdland again on Sept. 20 - 23, although not with this trio. It's part of the Coltrane 80th birthday celebration. Some people may not know he was the first pianist in the Coltrane quartet.

I caught the Kuhn/Carter/Foster trio 20 years ago at the Regattabar in Cambridge, MA, when they toured behind their first recording together. Outstanding!

I saw the Steve Kuhn Trio at the Kitano a year or so ago--it was quite good, Blue Note can sign me up for this recording, along with the Charles Tolliver and Kenny Burrell. I will probably pass on the others. Where's Jason Moran though?

Edited by kh1958

Charles Tolliver: One of the stalwarts of the avante-bop scene of the 1960s, trumpeter Charles Tolliver's direct link to Blue Note's history is the trumpet chair he held in Jackie McLean's group of that decade. In the 1970s he began the Strata-East label with pianist Stanley Cowell and after 5 years of putting out fine records he maintained a relatively low profile until he formed his stunning big band in recent years. The ensemble, which contains a who's-who of jazz musicians from the past three decades, recorded this past June at Bennett Studio in New Jersey. Charles will be mastering soon.

:excited: