Mosaic big box sets

How many Mosaic big box sets do you own?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You've got to be a black and white fetishist to really appreciate the Big Boxes ! :D

Something true about this... years ago that little jazz/blues store in Zurich (closed by now) had these weird and boring-looking b/w boxes... only after reading a review of the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh and ordering that one did I realize slowly what those boring b/w boxes actually were... I guess this being 10 or 12 years back, I could have found some long gone ones there, but the prizes were insane, at 35$ per disc or similar, since they had bought them from Mosaic at the regular prize obviously. Anyway, for a few of these long gone ones, I would be ready to pay a lot, if I'd see them in a shop, could have a look at the condition etc.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just physically counted: 8 on vinyl, 4 on CD, so my "vote" was right on the mark.

(I also own 4 selects).

I hope that BruceH isn't disappointed in me. On the other hand, I was a supporter from the very beginning (my first set was their first set: the Monk Blue Notes).

And there are at least a handful of Mosaics I covet but haven't gotten around to. (Mulligan Concert Band and Golson/Farmer chief among them.)

What the hell, if I had the dough I'd buy them all...

Considering how much great jazz you turned me onto, I don't see how I could be disappointed in you NOT buying too many Mosaic sets. And hey, I was a supporter from very close to the beginning, 1985, shortly after you told me about Mosaic.

:rolleyes:

its 9 plus 2 on the short list (Crusaders and Wilson)....and the Gillespie when it hits Europe for a "Universal style price"

Cheers, Tjobbe

Amazon.de (and WOM) reduced the price for this set: € 79,95. Is this what you mean with "Universal style price"?! I'll definitely order the set for this price.

BTW, 80+ big boxes. :wub:

I have 96 sets, 91 on cd, 5 on LP (including Monk on Blue Note, which dates me!).

There's been a bit of a gap, hasn't there, between sets? The Ellington small groups set isn't due until November, and the Gillespie came out, when, in the spring?

Nice collection Greg! There has been a gap for the big box sets, however they did release a bunch of singles in that time span. I'm getting excited about the Ellington and the Chu Berry later in '07!

I have 96 sets, 91 on cd, 5 on LP (including Monk on Blue Note, which dates me!).

There's been a bit of a gap, hasn't there, between sets? The Ellington small groups set isn't due until November, and the Gillespie came out, when, in the spring?

Nice collection Greg! There has been a gap for the big box sets, however they did release a bunch of singles in that time span. I'm getting excited about the Ellington and the Chu Berry later in '07!

Oh me too--especially the Ellington Small Groups set. In fact, I sent them an email suggesting that while they were at it, it sure would be nice to have an Ellington 30s box collecting together all the big band stuff owned by Columbia. That material hasn't been issued in any organized way in the US for a long time. I *still* have the old "Ellington Era" boxes issued by Columbia back in the late Jurassic when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I could still find old 78s at Goodwill, but it would *really* be nice to have that marvelous material in a Mosaic box!

I claimed 12-15 but I missed a few trying to recollect them all, I'm one level higher. My wife just phoned in an order for the Crusaders set for our anniversary.

She emailed me at work-

"what would you like?"

My reply-

"http://www.mosaicrecords.com/

203-327-3111

The Jazz Crusaders: Pacific Jazz Quintet Studio Sessions

ORDER NOW!

Limited Edition: 5000 copies

6 CDs - $102.00 "

(cut and pasted from the web page)

I was first pulled into the Mosaic orbit by the boxed set descriptions in their catalog, the hard copy version.

In the early 90's much of the music was not in print on CD, although now reissues come and go. I do agree the sets are for completists, and I have a strategy for making Mosaic purchases for artists I do not know a lot about. I purchase a few recordings not in the set and give them a listen. If I like them, I'll buy the set.