Joshua Redman recommendations: have any?

CJ Shearn

cool, I'll have to check those out. What's interesting to me about Josh so far on "Spirit of The Moment" is his pacing of tension and release, which sounds authentic, not something that releases too quick. In addition his tone which seems to synthesize everything from swing to free styles. I haven't heard much of him either, but James Carter seems to come from a similar style point. The other thing I dig about the Redman disc is that it was recorded in analog, you can tell especially in the drums IMO, and the dynamics, as well as a natural woody bass tone, doesn't sound twangy and direct to board.

Another vote for Yaya3, MoodSwing and Wish. I like the recording on "Spirit of the Moment" very much too.

I'm a little less enthusiasti about Elastic - it's all done very tasteful but all in all, the CD seems to be a little too leightweight.

I have not heard Passage, but it's predecessor, Beyond, is another nice one, though it only grabbed me after several listens.

Wish and Moodswing might be his best albums to date.

ubu

Another vote for "Wish" (although the version of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" is pretty silly), "Moodswing," "YaYa3" and "Elastic." All are very good. I sometimes find Redman uneven. I've seen him in concert, and was almost put to sleep. He doesn't sound like he's trying very hard much of the time, although he's quite good on all of the above named discs. His tracks on Roy Haynes' "Love Letters," however, contain some of his best solos EVER.

Redman has a good solos on the recent double live Corea disc, how is his playing on the Corea Bud tribute. Gonna listen to disc 2 of "Spirit of the Moment" will post my thoughts on it later.

I like the Corea Powell tribute a lot, and Redman plays quite well, although he is, for me, by no means the highlight of that disc. I think that Kenny Garrett plays a lot better.

I would agree with the above statement. I tend to prefer Redman as a sideman, although the albums mentioned are all quite good.

Let me put in another plug for Roy Haynes' "Love Letters." Redman doesn't play on the whole album, but the tracks he's on are fantastic. Truely, some of his best playing ever. The rest of the album (which features the likes of John Scofield, Dave Holland, Dave Kikoski, Kenny Barron, and Christian McBride) is excellent as well.

I've always found Redman as a leader rather disappointing. He always sounds far more interesting to me as a sideman.

Sadly this is so often the case with many jazz musicians.

I would agree with you on this. I still like "Moodswing" because of Mehldau. (While Mehldau's stuff as a leader leaves me cold.)

• 4 months later...

Redman sounds good on Mark Turner's self-titled debut for Warners (which is I guess now out of print or going out of print). I haven't heard any of his discs as a leader. Yaya3--eeehhhh, it's OK, but I don't understand the enthusiasm for it. This is what I said in Cadence.

Organ trio music which has an pleasing emphasis on finesse rather than bruising power, without lacking for excitement. Though the disc appears under a collective band name, and one’s attention is most immediately grabbed by the presence of megastar Joshua Redman, I suspect the main mover is organist Sam Yahel, who is listed first in the credits and composes most of the material here (and perhaps his last name is the source of the peculiar bandname?). Without quite being a memorable soloist, he nonetheless is a useful presence in the music: I’m particularly pleased by his understated, padding-free solo approach. Redman makes good use of his attractive and mellifluous tenor (his bland soprano is fortunately confined to only a few tracks); Blade pushes things along with characteristic economy and grace. The compositions here aren’t very distinguished (though there’s only one real dud, Redman’s bossa “Two Remember, One Forgets”), but what counts is that the trio make good music out of them regardless. A good, very playable disc.

• 3 years later...

Redman's new one--"Back East" was just released on Nonesuch. Three different trios across the sessions, with guests sitting in. Has anyone heard it?

joshuaredman

PLAYERS

Joshua Redman Saxophones

Larry Grenadier Bass

Ali Jackson Drums

Reuben Rogers Bass

Eric Harland Drums

Christian McBride Bass

Brian Blade Drums

GUESTS

Chris Cheek Saxophone

Joe Lovano Saxophone