BFT 41, CD1 - THE ANSWERS

Tom Storer

Thanks to everyone for participating!

1. Slap Happy

Lionel Hampton, vibraphone; Milt Hinton, bass; Jimmy Ford, drums. New York, Feb. 28, 1990. From "Old Man Time," Chiaroscuro.

I like the sly and joyful way Hamp does this. Listening to this one night, I flashed on how funky it is--the way that sensuality through rhythmic science is what links all the music of the African diaspora, in one form or another. And Milt Hinton, of course, is pure joy--a strong light shining out each time he played. He and Hamp were both old when this was recorded, but pickled in swing as they were, you would never know it. (And props to the ego-less drummer, Jimmy Ford, who so beautifully provides the hardwood floor they need to dance on.)

2. The Black Apostles

Horace Tapscott's Arkestra: Oscar Brashear, trumpet; Thurman Green, trombone; Arthur Blythe, alto sax; Teddy Edwards, tenor sax; Michael Session, baritone sax; Horace Tapscott, piano; Roberto Miguel Miranda, bass; Fritz Wise, drums. Recorded in Grant Park, Chicago, Illinois, Sept. 12, 1993.

Tapscott composed and arranged the music for a Sonny Criss record, "Sonny's Dream," in 1968, and this version of his Arkestra played a couple of pieces from it, including this one, at this 1993 concert, with Arthur Blythe in Criss's shoes. Tapscott, Miranda and Wise are playing with such strength of vision here that it's spooky. Blythe is an instantly recognizable sound for those who have heard him. I was wondering if anyone would pick up Teddy Edwards on tenor sax in this atypical situation, and Magnificent Goldberg did right away.

3. Keith Jarrett, De Drums

Keith Jarrett, piano; Dewey Redman, tenor sax; Charlie Haden, bass; Paul Motian, drums; Danny Johnson, percussion. From "Fort Yawuh," Impulse, recorded at the Village Vanguard, NYC, 1973.

I had no doubt this would be identified, but I wanted to include an homage to Redman, and "If the Misfits (Wear It)" (from the same album) has already been talked about on the web since his death as a great example of his work with Jarrett, so I thought I'd put on something else. This album and this tune were important to me in my teenage discovering-jazz days and I still find myself spontaneously humming the second tenor melody, lo these many years hence. I love Haden's sound here and the loose, insistent beat.

4. Sandy and Niles

Harold Vick, tenor sax; Kenny Barron, piano; Ted Dunbar, guitar; Michael Fleming, bass; Michael Carvin, drums. Recorded at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, Oct. 20, 1978.

Vick is not a saxophonist I know very well (yet), but the boot this comes from turned me on to him. Some of you felt the rhythm section wasn't smooth enough, but I like the kind of nervous, jostling way they play, reminding me of an eager dogsled team bumping against each other as they pull the sled forward smartly. Ted Dunbar was identified and sniffed at, but nobody noticed Kenny Barron. Congratulations to JSngry for being the only one to spot Harold Vick!

5. Light Blue

Wolfgang Puschnig, flute; Steve Swallow, bass guitar; Don Alias, percussion; Victor Lewis, drums. Recorded August 19-21, 2001. From "Grey," Quinton.

Some relatively lightweight fun. I was going to include a Monk tune from an album that Puschnig, on alto, did with Jamalaadeen Tacuma some time ago, a very witty collection of Monk à la funk. But I couldn't find the CD--I think I loaned it to someone and never got it back. I saw this group in concert, I believe the only time I saw the late, great Don Alias live, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus I'm an unconditional fan of Steve Swallow.

6. Charlie in the Parker

Muhal Richard Abrams, piano; John Purcell, tenor sax; Rick Rozie, bas; Andrew Cyrille, drums. Recorded in Trossingen, Germany, Feb. 18, 1984.

This was one of the less popular pieces. I like the energy and the enthusiasm of it despite a certain lack of focus (Sangrey guessed an extra-musical origin for this). Purcell is a bit of a cipher: an excellent saxophonist and team player who has never, IMHO, really developed a distinctive personality of his own, he's nevertheless someone I enjoy hearing. Here you can hear a lot of Arthur Blythe and David Murray in his sound, both of whom he played with in Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition.

7. Saving All My Love For You

Iain Bellamy, tenor sax; Stian Carstensen, accordeon. From "The Little Radio," Sound Recordings 2004.

I thought this might not be guessed at all, just because I had never heard of either of these musicians until my British brother-in-law gave me "Little Radio" as a gift. Who knew they were a household name among Organissimo members? ;) Two of you recognized it right off the bat. I googled Iain Bellamy, and found that he's a UK musician who's played with Hermeto Pascoal, Gil Evans, Mike Gibbs, and the New York Composers Orchestra, and is a longtime collaborator of Django Bates. In addition he travels a lot, playing with Carnatic percussionists and an Indian dance troupe and so on. Sounds like an interesting guy. Stian Carstensen is a member of a Norwegian/Bulgarian quintet, Farmers Market, that (it says on their website) plays a kind of cross between free jazz and Bulgarian folk music. Hmmmmm. I put their duo in here as a nice contrast--smooth and somewhat academic playing but with the soulful tune bringing a relaxed vibe to it.

8. Up Too Late

John Taylor, piano; Marc Johnson, bass; Joey Baron, drums. Recorded in Birmingham, England, 2002.

No, not the other Taylor!

I told you I was an unconditional fan of Steve Swallow--he wrote this tune. The whole first part of it is freer than I'm used to hearing John Taylor play, then just before the 5-minute mark the Swallowish theme (if you could call it that, just some chords, really) comes in. All three of these guys are high on my list of respected players. Baron is undersung, in my opinion: his versatility is matchless.

9. Walk on Water

Gerry Mulligan, soprano sax; Michael Santiago, guitar; Tommy Fay, piano; George Duvivier, bass; Bobby Rosengarten, drums. Recorded at De Speeldoos, Zaandam, Netherlands, December 16, 1976.

When I saw Mulligan in New York earlier in 1976 (with a young John Scofield on guitar), he was playing a curved soprano along with his baritone--likely the same one he's playing here. What a graceful melodist he was.

10. Yesterdays

Lucky Thompson, soprano sax; Martial Solal, piano; Oscar Pettiford, bass; Kenny Clarke, drums. recorded at the Essener Jazztage, Essen, Germany, April 18, 1959.

A completely different soprano sound from another doubling musician. I was interested to see what the reactions were to such contrasting players on the same instrument. Mulligan was graceful and jaunty, but Thompson had so much heart. The all-star rhythm section is easy on the ears, too.

Wow that was John Taylor and Joey Baron!? Great!

I have a soft spot for the accordion, and I have heard some live broadcasts of the Ballamy (not Bellamy!) & Carstensen duo...

Farmer's Market is ok (I heard portions of their Berlin Jazzdays concert on the radio), but not really that great. Too patch-y and ecclectic, I think.

5. Light Blue

Wolfgang Puschnig, flute; Steve Swallow, bass guitar; Don Alias, percussion; Victor Lewis, drums. Recorded August 19-21, 2001. From "Grey," Quinton.

Some relatively lightweight fun. I was going to include a Monk tune from an album that Puschnig, on alto, did with Jamalaadeen Tacuma some time ago, a very witty collection of Monk à la funk. But I couldn't find the CD--I think I loaned it to someone and never got it back. I saw this group in concert, I believe the only time I saw the late, great Don Alias live, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus I'm an unconditional fan of Steve Swallow.

I may get you wrong here, but Monk's tune "Light Blue" is totally different from this one here.

5. Light Blue

I may get you wrong here, but Monk's tune "Light Blue" is totally different from this one here.

That it is, but I can't help that! He called the tune "Light Blue." I'm just the messenger here.

4. Sandy and Niles

Harold Vick, tenor sax; Kenny Barron, piano; Ted Dunbar, guitar; Michael Fleming, bass; Michael Carvin, drums. Recorded at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, Oct. 20, 1978.

Vick is not a saxophonist I know very well (yet), but the boot this comes from turned me on to him. Some of you felt the rhythm section wasn't smooth enough, but I like the kind of nervous, jostling way they play, reminding me of an eager dogsled team bumping against each other as they pull the sled forward smartly. Ted Dunbar was identified and sniffed at, but nobody noticed Kenny Barron. Congratulations to JSngry for being the only one to spot Harold Vick!

Too hung up on recognising Teddy in the first Tapscott selection, I assumed you'd put another in from the same gig, since both tunes are from the same Criss LP. Clever misdirection! :g

MG

1. Slap Happy

Lionel Hampton, vibraphone; Milt Hinton, bass; Jimmy Ford, drums. New York, Feb. 28, 1990. From "Old Man Time," Chiaroscuro.

I like the sly and joyful way Hamp does this. Listening to this one night, I flashed on how funky it is--the way that sensuality through rhythmic science is what links all the music of the African diaspora, in one form or another. And Milt Hinton, of course, is pure joy--a strong light shining out each time he played. He and Hamp were both old when this was recorded, but pickled in swing as they were, you would never know it. (And props to the ego-less drummer, Jimmy Ford, who so beautifully provides the hardwood floor they need to dance on.)

Well, this is one I've got to get. Is it under Hamp's name?

MG

Too hung up on recognising Teddy in the first Tapscott selection, I assumed you'd put another in from the same gig, since both tunes are from the same Criss LP. Clever misdirection! :g

It may seem clever, but it was wholly coincidental. I only got "Sonny's Dream" after I'd put up the BFT, so I didn't even know the Harold Vick tune was on it!

Is it under Hamp's name?

No, the leader was Milt Hinton. Sorry, should have made that clear.