2006-2007 Hot Stove Thread

As if the Red Sox don't have enough on their plate with Helton, now Schilling has announced he will pitch in 2008, and possibly beyond

He expects a contract extention to be hammered out in spring training (or if not, he won't talk during the year and will enter free agency) and has also said on the Sons of Sam Horn site that his starting point for a new contract is not a raise over his current salary and that he told the Red Sox a while back that he and his family had their change of heart.

I like the idea of Schilling pitching in Boston in 2008, but I don't want to see a commitment beyond that or for too much money. But after 2007, the youngsters who are in the low minors won't be quite ready. A rotation of Dice-K, Papelbon, Beckett, Lester and Schilling/Wakefield - I'd take Schilling over Wake, assuming both are healthy. If Wake won't retire, I'd be happy to see him in the bullpen. I wonder if they could come to an agreement with Schilling like the one they have with Wakefield. Basically a year-to-year contract in which its like a mutual option - if he wants to play, and they want him, he's signed for as long as he wants to play. Its clear that Schilling is as enamored of the organization and the city as Wakefield is.

the problem is, Wake is signed in perpetuity for like 4.5 million. I don't think they want to commit to Schilling in perpetuity for 14 million.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dangerous dan

where would helton bat in the bosox line-up?

There seems to be a lot of debate. Some say lead-off, but he doesn't run well. If you put Youklis second, I could see a lot of situations where Papi rips a single, and Helton and Youklis end up at second and third instead of scoring. Probably not a bad situation with manny up with the bases loaded, but still.

I think Lugo belongs first, with Youklis or Helton second. Both are tough outs, take a lot of pitches, and that gives Lugo the chance to run.

some say Helton belongs after Manny, but I think that is Drew's spot, as I think he will show better power going forward. The only problem with Helton after Drew in the six-hole is the lefty-lefty thing. So if you put Youklis second (which is what I would probably do), Helton may drop to seventh, after Varitek. Then Coco and the rookie round out the order.

Second or seventh, it would be a nice thing to debate. Apparently Helton's pull tendency has been a function of his home park, and he should have the talent to take a look at the monster and then do like Wade Boggs and play pepper off of it.

As I've looked through all the numbers and info I can find, I think Helton is a superior choice for the next two or three years. Not sure at all that he'll be that good in the last two seasons of his deal, but when you look at upcoming corner infielders (free agents) and the lack of talent in the Sox' system, I am coming to the conclusion that Helton takes care of a looming need better than any of the other possibilities (outside of a trade, which would be from a position of weakness).

Now the latest from the AP is that the Rockies want Lowell, Tavarez, and both Manny Delcarmen and Craig Hansen. That is a complete non-starter and I will bet that Theo laughed in their faces. They would have to pay 100% of his salary, and throw in their stud closer, Fuentes.

Otherwise, enjoy paying Helton 35% of your payroll til he's 39. And enjoy finishing out of the running for the foreseeable future.

Fact is, the Sox hold all the cards. Colorado can stew in their juices til spring training and beyond. I guarantee that Theo won't be the one to blink.

What a total waste of time. Now the Rockies have announced that the trade is dead, no further discussions, Helton will not be traded.

Well, good luck with that albatross of a contract and a marque player with a declining skill set.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that this deal gets resurrected sometime between now and the trade deadline, with the Rockies making completely different, and far more reasonable demands.

Bud Selig must be quaking in his boots:

Bonds wants to play in 2008 and quite possibly beyond

When I heard his agent say something about 1000 home runs, I laughed, but apparently Bonds won't be satisfied with limping past Aaron. In fact, he initially asked for an easily attainable vesting option for 2008. Thank God the Giants didn't give in on that. :beee:

But it looks like the only thing that will save us from Bonds is an indictment, or (and this may be more likely) no one offering him a job for 2008 (certainly the Giants seem totally committed to severing ties after this season - but who knows if somehow he doesn't break the record this year?)

:bad::bad:

Edited by Dan Gould

Has there been any other all-time great, in any sport, that's been treated with such disdain by fans/media than Bonds? Not even Rick Barry, another Bay Area jerk, endured what Bonds does. Not saying it's not justified, but I really can't think of another all-timer that's as unpopular as Bonds.

Has there been any other all-time great, in any sport, that's been treated with such disdain by fans/media than Bonds? Not even Rick Barry, another Bay Area jerk, endured what Bonds does. Not saying it's not justified, but I really can't think of another all-timer that's as unpopular as Bonds.

Well, add it up Matthew:

An extremely prickly, completely self-centered personality

who plays the race card whenever he can

who undoubtedly cheated to attain famous records

the more interesting question is why he has any fans at all. Are people in San Francisco blind to the evidence that he cheated (and laundered money and cheated the IRS, etc. etc)? Do they just love the guy to go against the rest of the world? Is it just because he plays for the local nine?

In a better world, he'd have been booed out of the game years ago.

Is A-Rods' contract coming to an end ?.....i thought he might have at least 5 more years ?

cause if it's down to 2 years , shouldn't be that hard to trade him.

It's one of those JD Drew contracts that Boras likes to negotiate now -- ARod can opt out after this year.

The Yankees have been justifying A-Hole-Rod's contract by the fact that Texas has been paying part of the salary. IIRC, Texas is paying something like $6MM, so the Yanks are paying him approximate "Jeter money", or $19MM. Some of the money may also be deferred (I'm too lazy to look up details).

I wonder if Texas's "buydown" would continue to apply after the opt-in point. If not, the Yanks would be more likely to let him walk...

Edited by T.D.

i think A-Rod has 3 years left on the $252 contract

and he has an opt-out clause at the end of the 2007 season. That's what everyone is talking about. I am sure that regardless of what happens on the field, Boras will press hard for A-Rod to opt out and enter free agency at 32 instead of three years from now at 35. He may get a little less average annual value, but he'll get more years, and its certainly a better idea to enter free agency at 32 than at 35.

A-Rod either leaves, or parlays a strong season into an extention with the Yanks.

The Yankees have been justifying A-Hole-Rod's contract by the fact that Texas has been paying part of the salary. IIRC, Texas is paying something like $6MM, so the Yanks are paying him approximate "Jeter money", or $19MM. Some of the money may also be deferred (I'm too lazy to look up details).

I wonder if Texas's "buydown" would continue to apply after the opt-in point. If not, the Yanks would be more likely to let him walk...

A-rod is downright cheap to the Yanks: $16 million is what I have heard.

I believe that Texas pays in every year of the contract he signed. If he opts out, the contract is void, Texas is off the hook, and whoever signs him pays it all.

i think A-Rod has 3 years left on the $252 contract

Here's an article about this:

A-Rod not thinking about opting out of deal now

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez sidestepped whether he plans to opt out of his record contract with the New York Yankees and become a free agent following this season.

J.D. Drew, like A-Rod a client of agent Scott Boras, used an opt-out clause to leave the Los Angeles Dodgers for a $70 million, five-year contract with the Boston Red Sox.

During a promotional appearance Tuesday, Rodriguez was asked what he thought about Drew's decision.

"I didn't follow the J.D. Drew situation," Rodriguez said. "My situation and my only goal is to win a world championship, and I'm going to take it day to day. And that's about it."

Rodriguez is owed a $23 million salary this year, including $1 million deferred without interest until June 30, 2011, and then is due $24 million in each of the final three seasons of his record $252 million, 10-year contract.

Texas, which traded A-Rod to the Yankees after the 2003 season, is partially funding the deal, paying the Yankees $7.1 million this year, $8.1 million in 2008, $7.1 million in 2009 and $6.1 million in 2010.

"I think when you put things like that in the contract seven years ago, the intent was that it would give the player a choice, knowing full well the player may not use the provision, and also understanding, too, it gives him an option to consider," Boras said in a telephone interview. "At this point in time, Alex has certainly reflected to me he's very happy in New York. We have not talked about anything like that and probably will not until the season is completed."

dio's Mike and Mike in the Morning, ESPN's Steve Phillips said he feels if A-Rod leaves the Yankees, it will be because of his overall feeling of the situation in New York and nothing more. A-Rod will send some negative vibes to fans if he opts out. Listen Insider

Boras left the impression that Rodriguez could get more than the $72 million he is owed in the final three seasons of his deal.

"There's a class of player that has not been fitted into this new market," Boras said. "Obviously when Alex's contract was done, the revenues of the game were around $3 billion. Now they are around $6 billion. The elite position player has not been really graded in this new revenue stream we've seen."

Rodriguez has gone through turbulent times with the Yankees. While he won the AL MVP award for the second time in 2005, he is 4-for-41 (.098) without an RBI in his last 12 postseason games dating to 2004.

He was dropped to eighth in the batting order for the first time in a decade as the Yankees were eliminated in Game 4 of the first round against Detroit last season.

Rodriguez doesn't see a need to speak to manager Joe Torre about being dropped that low.

"I'm an employee. If Joe says take out the garbage, I take out the garbage," he said. "There's no attitude. That's just the bottom line. I've very old school when it comes to that. And I've never been a person that ever questions my authority. ... The first thing I've got to look at in the mirror is me."

Rodriguez is pleased with the offseason moves made by general manager Brian Cashman.

"I'm excited to play with Andy Pettitte and I'm also excited about what Brian Cashman has done, kind of gotten us a little bit younger, a little bit more athletic," Rodriguez said. "I'm also excited to see some of these young pitchers. We haven't had this type of spring, where we're actually curious about what these young pitchers are going to be all about."

He cited the example of the Tigers, who won the AL pennant behind hard-throwing pitchers Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya.

"Without those two guys, they obviously don't get into the postseason and almost win a World Series," Rodriguez said.

As he prepares for the start of spring training this month, his goal is to get a World Series ring for the first time.

"My burden has always been the same since I was 18," he said. "The only reason I play the game is to win a world championship. That hasn't changed. From year to year it hasn't changed."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

"My burden has always been the same since I was 18," he said. "The only reason I play the game is to win a world championship. That hasn't changed. From year to year it hasn't changed."

Yeah ARod, that's why you signed with the Rangers, all those World Championships you'd be winning.... <_<

Yeah ARod, that's why you signed with the Rangers, all those World Championships you'd be winning.... <_<

Before leaving Seattle as a free agent, A-Hole Rod made it very clear via interviews that his goal was to become the highest-paid player...

for you old-oldtimers, mike francesa on wfan interviewed moose skowron about his close recently deceased friend, hank bauer.

i am sure wfan will put it up on the website. if you go back to baseball in the 50's, this interview will move you.

(for the first time in 50 years i am looking forward to sitting in the stands on this summer's lazy summer afternoons watching the beautiful game of baseball)

I spent a lot of time in airports and meetings this week so I bought Bill Simmons Now I Can Die In Peace, his account of the Red Sox and the Championship season of 2004. I'm not that big of a fan of Simmons, but it wasn't too bad, a nice way to gear up for the season. One outcome though: I think I hate the Red Sox now -- sorry Dan. :lol: