Les Tresors du Jazz

Durium

It's 10CDs and I just received confirmation from the same outfit that it might be coming out a few weeks earlier. That doesn't mean it will though, considering the past of this series. Still, the two editors should be allowed all the time in the world ... they are doing lots of people a great service by keeping at it.

Was just notified that the new box (1956) is now available and has been shipped my way. :excited:

Oops. My French sucketh. The relase date has been moved to 29.10.07. :ph34r:

Edited by neveronfriday

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 10CDs and I just received confirmation from the same outfit that it might be coming out a few weeks earlier. That doesn't mean it will though, considering the past of this series. Still, the two editors should be allowed all the time in the world ... they are doing lots of people a great service by keeping at it.

Was just notified that the new box (1956) is now available and has been shipped my way. :excited:

Oops. My French sucketh. The relase date has been moved to 29.10.07. :ph34r:

I preordered the 1956 set via amazon.fr, it is scheduled to be released on october 25 2007. The price at €30 (shipping included) is very attractive. I already own the 1952, 1953, 1954 and 1955 sets as well as the Big Band box, the Piano Jazz set has been shipped my way. The discs, I have listened to so far, are terrific: lots of familiar material, but also lots of rarities not available elsewhere on cd, compiled with much care and in best possible sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently listening through the "Piano Jazz" 10 cd box set (just finished disc 4). Messrs Francis and Schwarz again did a great job in compiling and remastering the pearls of recorded piano jazz from 1906(!) through 1952 (mostly solo performances, some trio, few with orchestra accompaniment). This is a treasure chest for lovers of ragtime, stride, boogie woogie, swing and be bop piano. Highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 1956 Trésors du Jazz box is out!

So is this new one (Saxophone Jazz):

resize_alb_image_Mini_5741551.60.hi.jpg

Hope Amazon France doesn't need weeks to get hold of it and send it to me ... :

Thanks for the news.

On the "my account" page of Amazon France it says regarding my order of Les Trésors du Jazz 1956: "Date de livraison estimée : 12 novembre 2007 - 16 novembre 2007".

Edited by Tommy T

On the "my account" page of Amazon France it says regarding my order of Les Trésors du Jazz 1956: "Date de livraison estimée : 12 novembre 2007 - 16 novembre 2007".

My favorite record shop has been displaying several copies of the Trésors 1956 sets for the past few days :blink:

Just be patient and you'll be 51 years younger very soon ;)

My favorite record shop has been displaying several copies of the Trésors 1956 sets for the past few days :blink:

Just be patient and you'll be 51 years younger very soon ;)

I also got three "delayed" notices.

As usual, the set will roll around via Amazon.fr whenever Amazon.fr is ready.

Same procedure as every year. ;)

Yesterday I got notification from amazon.fr that my copy of "Les Trésors du Jazz 1956" has been shipped. I am looking forward to it.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Not yet.

Any idea what the release date will be?

The 1957 set did come out. But the European Union has just voted to extend copyright protection from 50 to 70 years. The compilers of the Trésors du Jazz series, André Francis and Jean Schwarz, are elderly gentlemen. So that, I'm afraid, is that.

Not yet.

Any idea what the release date will be?

The 1957 set did come out. But the European Union has just voted to extend copyright protection from 50 to 70 years. The compilers of the Trésors du Jazz series, André Francis and Jean Schwarz, are elderly gentlemen. So that, I'm afraid, is that.

Yes, a true tragedy. One of the world's best reissue series (maybe) down the drain because of a completely delusional music industry with - unfortunately - still enough pressure-group clout to cloud judgement. Sad. Let's hope these two find a way around that ... there are possibilities. And, before the 70-year copyright defenders get on my case ... I know the arguments. In this single case, a lot of the work these two have done for the jazz community might never, ever appear for purchase. I, for one, am not happy about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone looking for 1957 of this great series? I picked up a spare (open but mint) and would be happy to trade or sell for a sensible offer.

In the UK by the way.

Edit to say this is gone by the way

Edited by fent99

• 2 months later...

I had been assuming the new copyright law would make it impossible to continue the series. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know how it would be justified. The new EU rule is 70 years before something hits the public domain, right?

I've been picking up the Le Monde series: every Saturday with the newspaper, two CDs of selected cuts by a big name, with a biographical booklet and full personnel details. There will be a total of thirty artists featured. Great work, once again. Now that I think of it, if Le Monde can get away it (since the tunes go up to 1959), maybe there are loopholes somewhere that Les Trésors du Jazz could also take advantage of. Or maybe they're just ignoring the new law and to hell with it. Hope springs eternal!

Edited by Tom Storer

There seems to be some degree of confusion regarding EU copyright laws. These laws distinguish between copyright and related rights. The copyright as such is protecting the author / creator of a work (e.g. literature, music, visual arts) for a time period of 70 years after his death. In music, the composer is considered to be the creator of a work.

On the other hand, musical performances are not protected by copyright, but only by so called related rights, which are effective during 50 years after the performance / the recording. The same is true for the rights of the producer of a sound carrier. This means that under current EU laws, recorded musical performances are protected for a maximum of 50 years. Over this period the producer and/or the performing artist (depending on their repective agreement) have the exclusive right of broadcasting and duplicating the recorded performance. After 50 years, performing artists lose control over the use of their works.

This IMO means that a 1958 set of "Les Trésors Du Jazz" would not infringe EU copyright laws.