Vinyl fu@#-ups support group session is now open.

Dmitry

After having lived with my cat problem-free for three years, he recently decided that the spines of LP jackets make an excellent surface for scratching. I had to box up the collection and put it in the closet. I now have a bunch of otherwise very valuable records with completely shreded spines. It's not like I was planning on selling them or anything, but still...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left the door to the rekkid room open, and one of the cats decided to use the LP spines as a scratching post. Luckily, the stacks of more recent acquisitions on the floor ended up protecting the area housing the genres I really care about. That said, they got to the "rock/pop" section, letters R and S. Casualties included the first Silver Apples album on Kapp (not really rock/pop; why didn't you have it with the moog/electronic records, dummy?) and the Rutles.

Didn't see that until after I posted!

That Silver Apples record is a nice piece to not have shreded. My cat got some choice Ayler/Lyons/Mingus/Beefheart and rap records (my vinyl wasn't alphabetized).

Besides the illness and divorce and other personal threads, this must be the most painful one to read on this board!

I don't have lots of vinyl and don't often spin any, so (knock on wood!) I've had no accidents so far... anyway, the most valuable things I have would likely be the Art Pepper, Tina & Buck Clayton Mosaics, besides that a few stray other things, like Shelly Manne's "2,3,4" (not in great shape), a beat-up mono of "A Love Supreme", two Art Farmer Atlantics, the first Cora release by Randy Weston... I really hope none of them will ever miss a chunk or include a hole through it!

After having lived with my cat problem-free for three years, he recently decided that the spines of LP jackets make an excellent surface for scratching. I had to box up the collection and put it in the closet. I now have a bunch of otherwise very valuable records with completely shreded spines. It's not like I was planning on selling them or anything, but still...

Several years ago, there was an ad in a newspaper from somebody who was selling his jazz vinyls.

Went to his place. There were dozens of pretty interesting albums. Only problem was that the top spines were all ruined. The wouldbe seller said his cat used them to trim his nails!

Only bought a couple of teninchers that had been spared the treatment!

Great thread!

I have generally been pretty fortunate with my records. But no matter how carefully one tries to be when handling sides, accidents do occur. Years ago I was in a Tolliver bent for a couple of weeks running and I had them all pulled off the shelf for a steady diet.

I was just taking one of his lps out of its sleeve (I think it was "Live in Lusrecht" (sp?), and somehow the record slipped out of my hands and skittered across the edge of my coffee table. How it didn't suffer a scratch or a gouge I don't know.

Great thread!

I have generally been pretty fortunate with my records. But no matter how carefully one tries to be when handling sides, accidents do occur. Years ago I was in a Tolliver bent for a couple of weeks running and I had them all pulled off the shelf for a steady diet.

I was just taking one of his lps out of its sleeve (I think it was "Live in Lusrecht" (sp?), and somehow the record slipped out of my hands and skittered across the edge of my coffee table. How it didn't suffer a scratch or a gouge I don't know.

Yikes ! :o That must have been the 'Live at the Loosedrecht Jazz Festival' Strata East or Black Lion 2LP.

That twofer was the culprit of one of my own vinyl ****-ups. Sold a copy of the Black Lion second-hand to Mole Jazz for about £1, in a moment of madness. Coluldn't get into it at the time. It was near-mint too.

Edited by sidewinder

Ok I've had my own disaster now and could do with some help!

The thermostat in my boiler went meaning the boiler over heated realeasing huge quantities of steam into the flat over a week when we were away. Lots of stuff ruined but worst of all my mosaic sets have gone a bit mouldy on the black cloth boxes.

Now dried out it seems to be wiping off but I'm a bit worried they'll be ruined. The CDs (only one vinyl set) seem ok but anyone had this problem and know of any treatment to get them back to pristine?

• 3 months later...

:rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

Tonight, I was taking my copy of Stanley Turrentine's THE COMMON TOUCH off the turntable, lost my grip, and put a scratch right in the middle of "Buster Brown." The one Blue Note LP I have, in beautiful condition, I think it's an original pressing, ruined. The only positive note about this is that I had just gotten done saving the LP to my hard drive for burning onto a CD. This just became the Holy Grail of my CDR collection.

:rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

Tonight, I was taking my copy of Stanley Turrentine's THE COMMON TOUCH off the turntable, lost my grip, and put a scratch right in the middle of "Buster Brown." The one Blue Note LP I have, in beautiful condition, I think it's an original pressing, ruined. The only positive note about this is that I had just gotten done saving the LP to my hard drive for burning onto a CD. This just became the Holy Grail of my CDR collection.

Should be possible to replace with a 'Rare Groove' reissue of this one for not too much $. I feel your pain ! (group hug).

I once owned an album that had a glow in the dark cover.

A "friend" came by and wanted to see the effects of the cover.

So, he put the LP in my bathroom, placing the LP directly behind the

lighting fixture, to tone it up.

Stoopid me, I let him do this, thinking "surely he will take the record out of the sleeve as to prevent:WARPAGE!!

" Well, he did not. The result was an amazing true glow in the dark experiance AND a very warped LP.

Selah!!

---HB

Mine is a record cover fu@#-up. I framed and hung a perfect copy of this:

enlargement.jpg

It wasn't secure enough where it was hanging, and not only did it fall and break the glass, but a shard of glass marked up parts of the cover, scraping off the image. Mostly just a few small sections of the background, but a tiny part of the lady's ample bosom as well. Sigh...

Here's a vinyl fuck-up for you: I sold off a collection of ridiculously rare punk, indie and rap records from the late 70s through late 80s about six months before eBay became a household word. Suffice to say I've seen single items from the collection go for about what I sold the whole thing for. At least I got all the money I put into it back out.

Not really a "fuck up" but still an impossible situation that lead to negative vinly equity. Back in 1990 when I was just a kid in London discovering jazz, I was really into an LP by Walter Bisphop Jr called Coral Keys. This was well before ebay opened up the maket to the Europeans. So back then, judging by the ultra budget cover art and general obscureness of the whole deal, I was convined that this was rarer than a good LP by Acker Bilk. Anyway I went to see the old guy play at a small east-end club and took the LP along to get him to sign it. When he saw it he was so amazed that he grabbed it from me and stared at it in a daze. He asked me how I found it and I replied somewhat reticently "with a lot of difficulty". He then asked me if I could find him one too. Jesus what a dilemma. So I had to give him mine of course. The guy was old and his memories were wrapped up in this LP. But i was gutted. I expected to go home with a signed treasure, not empty handed! Fortunately it proved to be a relatively easy find once the internet got going. But µI still had about 7 years of waiting and cursing my scruples!

Not really a "fuck up" but still an impossible situation that lead to negative vinly equity. Back in 1990 when I was just a kid in London discovering jazz, I was really into an LP by Walter Bisphop Jr called Coral Keys. This was well before ebay opened up the maket to the Europeans. So back then, judging by the ultra budget cover art and general obscureness of the whole deal, I was convined that this was rarer than a good LP by Acker Bilk. Anyway I went to see the old guy play at a small east-end club and took the LP along to get him to sign it. When he saw it he was so amazed that he grabbed it from me and stared at it in a daze. He asked me how I found it and I replied somewhat reticently "with a lot of difficulty". He then asked me if I could find him one too. Jesus what a dilemma. So I had to give him mine of course. The guy was old and his memories were wrapped up in this LP. But i was gutted. I expected to go home with a signed treasure, not empty handed! Fortunately it proved to be a relatively easy find once the internet got going. But µI still had about 7 years of waiting and cursing my scruples!

FYI , Bish's wife Valerie drops in here on occasion . I hope she sees your post .

As a Coral Keys owner let me just say that that was a hell of a magnanimous gesture on your part . :tup

FYI , Bish's wife Valerie drops in here on occasion . I hope she sees your post .

As a Coral Keys owner let me just say that that was a hell of a magnanimous gesture on your part . :tup

Indeed! I take it this is BJ2 we're talking about. A fine album! Thanks for the reminder; will play later.

MG

Yeah, that's pretty hip. Although it also might be why I don't get records signed!

There would have been an EASY way out for your dilemma:

Whenever you want to get records autographed, ONLY take the cover along, but NEVER EVER the vinyl!

Not that I would want to discourage noble gestures such as yours but not taking the vinyl along also helps to avoid potential vinyl fxxx-ups when you have to queue up (or actually fight for the best position in the crowd) to get your records autographed after the gig.

Edited by Big Beat Steve