My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Guy Berger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad the original wasn't also released in the same manner. The fact that the reissue is, apparently, unavailable in perpetuity is a blessing, That is genuinely awful music.

Gorts, take care of this threadcrapper!

:g

• 4 weeks later...

A shoegaze/dreampop band I was really into circa 1990 and went on a mad kick for again tonight, pulling up old video clips on YouTube--Lush:

De Luxe

If you can find GALA at a reasonable price, well worth picking up--it gathers their early EPs. Not as familiar with the later material, though what I've heard of it doesn't strike me the same way the GALA sides do.

I was caught off guard by how much I enjoyed Gala. A friend played it for me and I wound up listening to it several times in a row.

Probably easy to find pretty cheap at used stores in larger towns.

Also a big fan of Spiritualized and, to a lesser degree, Spacemen 3.

Never could get into MBV, despite the best efforts of various friends.

Lush's SPOOKY is also very good, though I didn't get into it as much as GALA at first--but the Emma Anderson songs on there are pretty much on par with the GALA material, and Miki Berenyi's "For Love" is good as well. I really like "Love Life" and "Lit Up" off SPLIT, but haven't warmed to the rest of that CD yet. Not too long ago I made a mix CD-R of all of my favorite GALA and SPOOKY songs, some early b-sides/rarities, and those two SPLIT songs, and it's made for very addictive listening. The best Lush songs have a sort of transcendental charge to them.

Matthew: if you dig LOVELESS, then ISN'T ANYTHING is certainly worth checking out. I'm partial to the EPs before that as well, gathered on a single LP/CD called ECSTASY AND WINE (there's also a double LP floating around that yokes that material to two more EPs released around the time of ISN'T ANYTHING). The TREMOLO, GLIDER, and TO HERE KNOWS WHEN EPS all have a bit of overlap with LOVELESS, but there are non-LOVELESS tracks on there that would have sounded right at home on the CD itself.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought all the My Bloody Valentine remasters today, and the first one I opened was (of course) Loveless. I looked all over the internet while I was in the store trying to find out what was on the second disk -- no luck, so I decided to go ahead and buy the album. I open it up, and what do I discover? CD 1. Remastered from original tape. CD 2: Remastered from the original 1/2 inch analogue tapes. IMHO, that is pure bull****! Remaster one version, but not both, and certainly don't put it out in a two cd "Expanded Edition," charging extra money for pure bs, and not add a darn thing to the album! mad.gifthumbs_down.gif

Apparently there is a glitch in the remastering of one disc of Loveless and they misnamed the discs too swapping one for the other. However the 2 disc ep round up is great. I'm sticking with my originals.

Loveless is terrific still

Edited by fent99

Listened to the remastered original tape version of Loveless tonight (at least that's what it is listed as on the cd), and had to use my headphones, as I'm away from my stereo for awhile. Anyway, there is a lot more depth to the remaster then the original cd, I can hear and feel the base (especially on "Soon"). The instrumentation is clearer, with guitars & synths being more easily recognized, and I was actually able to understand some, just some, mind you, of the lyrics now. Overall, there's a lot more definition to the music, but you still have that glorious sheen of pure, beautiful noise. I'm reminded what Albert Ayler said about his music: Don't listen for the instruments, listen to the sound. Whether a person wants to spend $24.00 for what is essentially two versions of the same cd... YMMV.

Listened to the remastered original tape version of Loveless tonight (at least that's what it is listed as on the cd), and had to use my headphones, as I'm away from my stereo for awhile. Anyway, there is a lot more depth to the remaster then the original cd, I can hear and feel the base (especially on "Soon"). The instrumentation is clearer, with guitars & synths being more easily recognized, and I was actually able to understand some, just some, mind you, of the lyrics now. Overall, there's a lot more definition to the music, but you still have that glorious sheen of pure, beautiful noise. I'm reminded what Albert Ayler said about his music: Don't listen for the instruments, listen to the sound. Whether a person wants to spend $24.00 for what is essentially two versions of the same cd... YMMV.

Most positive review I've seen...

Might have to give in. On the Ep collection I didn't notice much difference between the tracks on my tremelo cd single and on the new issue but most of the rest was unfamiliar and sounded great. A great value 2 disc set makes up for the 2 discs of the same music of Loveless, maybe?

Might have to give in. On the Ep collection I didn't notice much difference between the tracks on my tremelo cd single and on the new issue but most of the rest was unfamiliar and sounded great. A great value 2 disc set makes up for the 2 discs of the same music of Loveless, maybe?

In no way is the new remaster a sonic revelation, after all "Loveless" is not one of those albums where you're listening to the individual instruments, so to my mind, it's more of a fine-tuning of the album. As long as the overall sound and feel of the album is there, it's all good. If someone is happy with the original cd, and doesn't want to pay the money for a sonic fine-tuning of the album, I don't think they will be missing out on anything.

From all that I have read, the EP disk is definitely the one that is a must have, given the added cd, so I'm interested in what that will be sounding like. No one seems to be saying too much about "Isn't Anything," so I have a feeling my reaction will be the same as with "Loveless."

Edited by Matthew

In no way is the new remaster a sonic revelation, after all "Loveless" is not one of those albums where you're listening to the individual instruments, so to my mind, it's more of a fine-tuning of the album. As long as the overall sound and feel of the album is there, it's all good. If someone is happy with the original cd, and doesn't want to pay the money for a sonic fine-tuning of the album, I don't think they will be missing out on anything.

From all that I have read, the EP disk is definitely the one that is a must have, given the added cd, so I'm interested in what that will be sounding like. No one seems to be saying too much about "Isn't Anything," so I have a feeling my reaction will be the same as with "Loveless."

I think the ep disc sounds great but I've heard little of the original eps (only tremelo and some of the others as mp3). Never loved "Isn't Anything" in the same way as "Loveless" ...

I think the ep disc sounds great but I've heard little of the original eps (only tremelo and some of the others as mp3). Never loved "Isn't Anything" in the same way as "Loveless" ...

Yeah, the ep disks are great, really some creative stuff coming from Shields on these songs (some of which I've never heard before), and the remastering is good. It's definitely the one to buy if a person can only get one of these remasters.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...