My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Guy Berger

I like the MBV sound much, MUCH more than I do "Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To". Much of Spacemen 3 is boring to me, as is Spiritualized, though I remember the "Ladies And Gentlemen..." having a couple of nice tracks on it.

I've always though Mascis was fantastic, even with the less interesting music he has recorded in recent years. Every once in a while, it happens. He's a motherfucker of a guitar player in my world. Glad to see the jaded are giving him some credit.

The answer to the question is:

no, loveless is not the most overrated album of all time. in fact, i doubt most people here or there have ever even heard of it.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever w/all these ahistorical "oh it's the greatest..." grow the fuck up (in general) & place yr totmes in the context of the recorded history of sound or, if you like, the great ideas in yr head that didn't make it... acetate/tape/digital, whatever.

Fine, I will grow the fuck up - Mojo Hand is the fucking greatest album in the history of the universe.

Misfits blow, by the way.

You're right...I have never heard most of theshit being 'discussed' herein, and this thread doesn't make me want to...I did think London Calling was great when it was new, but I was already gettin' old then. Most overrated, Never Mind, theBullocks which has always sounded like session guys trying to play poorly, which would make the Sex Pistols the Monkees of their time.

Never said London Calling was "the greatest" anything. For what it's worth I don't particularly think of it as "punk", whatever that means. And if I wasn't much inclined to check any of your favs out before, I'm certainly not more inclined to do so now Clem. Historicism, whatever that means, may be a valid argument re Charlie Parker but...

More of an intellectual (in the good sense, you can have the bad) than you ever thought of being,

Dana

I don't know about "overrated" but, in certain circles, Loveless is one of the most over-hyped discs I can think of. I love the album but could live without the mythology surrounding the recording of the disc and Shields' subsequent musically hermetic existence.

I'll disagree with the suggestion to ignore Spiritualized, at least up through "Ladies and Gentleman..." Pierce released far more entertaining albums than "Sonic Boom" post-Spaceman 3. I'd still take a 20 minute live version of "Suicide" over either's solo work any day.

As far as the Misfits go I've yet to hear a sloppier live band, at least when Doyle was on guitar in the early 80's, but I still love the energy and the beautiful melding of pop, punk and goth horror when Glen was at his campiest and writing the best tunes he'd ever come up with. I just heard a live show from 1978 (with Bobby Steele still in the band) where they play Elvis' version of "Blue Christmas" into "We are 138." Just beautiful.

win some, lose some... i'm not a big Wilco fan, not even w/Nels tho' I love the #s station recordings Tweedy brought outta deep underground w/Yanqui Hotel Foxtrot, so some credit is due.

p/s3 did care about the Cows at all? I didn't but... some think I shoulda.

The Conet Project box (numbers station recordings) was able to be reissued a few years back solely due to a financial settelement from Wilco, as Wilco never bothered to obtain permission to use those samples on Yanqui Foxtrot Hotel. The box is a blast. Not exactly "easy listening" but a fascinating audio document.

I've sold off all of the Cows albums I used to own. They had their moments but I finally realized I just didn't enjoy them as much as I though I should given their (am)rep. I'll probably regret that decision at some point and try to repurchase a few of their discs.

Samhain had a few good tracks and you could probably compile a single disc "best of" that would serve you well but they went wildly awry pretty quickly before Glenn finally signed to DefJam, named the band after himself, and started taking steroids.

also-- big relief i know-- i have nothing to say to Loveless worshippers who haven't internalized Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Clem, have you checked out the 33 1/3 entry for PIPER? Not too bad, as those things go... I've lobbied Sangrey to submit a ms for that series & think you should too. Dunno, might not be your cup of literary tea, probably just my selfish desire to read an extended essay from either of you on any LP you really dig. (Larry, too... no jazz entries that I'm aware of in that series so far.)

nice "Riposte," Junior-- that's the title of a Slovenly record also, I'm sure you were just about to tell me that-- Ornette Coleman blows too.

you do earn outrageous-- if not comportment-- points; there are very few people who dare take on the Misfits music, tho' i'll paypal you $10 if you upload pix of yr forelock.

other teen combos that blow-- Magic Band, Sabbath, Stooges, Pere Ubu, the Fall, PiL, Black Flag, & of course the Minutemen.

too much horror business,

i'm into cb

Been around since jazzcentralstation (when you were still in high school), but that's cool.

I was just injecting some humor, or humour, if you prefer, into your usual odd/self-important posts. I would venture a guess that most people here, because they are serious music fans, probably change their "favorite" or "greatest" record every day. I know I do (though Loveless is always in the top ten for me). I am currently battling between Caetano Veloso's first record vs. Double Nickels vs. Crescent. But really, perhaps the greatest two records are "Jack The Bear" or "Mohagany Hall Stomp"? Aren't they? Who knows.

But in any event, the Misfits are decent - wife is more of a fan than I and I prefer Samhain - I do love the other bands you cite, I mean, doesn't everyone?

I can tell you that the new Isis record does indeed rule.

So very mellow. I've had a hard time getting into it. Panopticon clicked with me much more quickly.

Have you checked out Old Man Gloom? An Isis side-project (Aaron Turner plus various HydraHead affiliated artists) which has released some really interesting albums that are fairly eclectic but surprisingly solid.

The Isis dvd "Clearing the Eye" that Ipecac put out a month ago is very, very good.

So very mellow. I've had a hard time getting into it. Panopticon clicked with me much more quickly.

Have you checked out Old Man Gloom? An Isis side-project (Aaron Turner plus various HydraHead affiliated artists) which has released some really interesting albums that are fairly eclectic but surprisingly solid.

The Isis dvd "Clearing the Eye" that Ipecac put out a month ago is very, very good.

Thanks for the tips, John. Not heard Old Man Gloom, but it does sound like it is up my alley.

Samhain had a few good tracks and you could probably compile a single disc "best of" that would serve you well but they went wildly awry pretty quickly before Glenn finally signed to DefJam, named the band after himself, and started taking steroids.

ha! that's awesome. did you know that he did an mtv cribs back when?! hilarious. the mystique was gone.

memphis murder men, but i digress.

PERSONALLY, impossible, i do NOT think MBV at any point is all that (except early-middle, when we say that crap?!) if fx guitar & overdubs w/"dreamy" (kick me in the nuts if i ever say that sincere) overlays ARE your bag well... it's given Yo La Tengo a much longer career than anyone woulda guessed, esp. once they ran out of songs. i'm not anti- ambient music (dig Robert Wyatt on "Music For Airports") but the MBV cult to me like classical/avant- ambient for pop 'tards. might it be someone's very goddamn favorite flavor? sure, just like yr peak sexual experience w/him or her (him & her if yr frisky) is untranslatable to others.

whatevershebringswesing,

c

I love your posts clem agree or disagree with them (and I'm not a great responder on the forum). Interesting to think of MBV Loveless as an ambient thing, which maybe it is. I love Cocteau Twins too (similar?) but really there's little substance there other than the " dreamy" washes and Liz Frazer (under recorded lately). Sound rather than music?

Refreshed my memory of other shoegazers Ride recently and I remembered why that whole scene sucked and how few of records from then have any residual memory.

I also read the Hawkwind thing and wondered

Are we on to Kevin Ayers now? I love that June 1st 1974 live set with Cale, Eno and Nico. Surely we should have had the whole tape by now

Edited by fent99

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

indie rock musicians pick the "most overrated" album

While I didn't find most of their arguments to be convincing, they did manage to convince me that some indie rock musicians are annoying wankers.

Guy

Annoying hipster poses never go out of fashion, unfortunately...hard to even appreciate the points in there that I agreed with to some extent, simply because those quoted were reekin' of the old attitude. And yeah, SGT. PEPPER is somewhat overrated, but hasn't that been said about ten thousand times by previous indiots? (Term courtesy of my friend Linn Tate.) C'mon, kids, get a fresh start--bash REVOLVER for a change.

indie rock musicians pick the "most overrated" album

While I didn't find most of their arguments to be convincing, they did manage to convince me that some indie rock musicians are annoying wankers.

Guy

Annoying hipster poses never go out of fashion, unfortunately...hard to even appreciate the points in there that I agreed with to some extent, simply because those quoted were reekin' of the old attitude. And yeah, SGT. PEPPER is somewhat overrated, but hasn't that been said about ten thousand times by previous indiots? (Term courtesy of my friend Linn Tate.) C'mon, kids, get a fresh start--bash REVOLVER for a change.

Seriously, if a "music critic" :rolleyes: can't see the beauty in Pet Sounds, The Stone Roses, or Marquee Moon, then to heck with 'em. Hip don't mean you have to be a bloody fool about stuff.

Edited by Matthew