Secret Listening Pleasures

Dave James

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Steve Miller fan ever since I got a copy of "The Joker." Also, Cheap Trick is always nice to hear. I hate rap, but LOVE Dr Dre's "The Chronic" and Digable Planets "Reachin'." D'Angelo's "Brown Sugar".

By the way, my older 3 sisters had ALL of the Gino Vanelli LPs. I heard them constantly growing up. <_<

There's a LOT of common ground here--VERY bizarre. One of the more musically-able among us should try to come up with some consistencies. Of everything that's been mentioned, I'm pretty much down with it all (including my previous affirmation of the Gino Vanelli sub-thread):

Thomas Dolby (Particularly "Astronauts & Heretics," a GENIUS album)

Dr. Dre, "Chronic"

Snoop Dogg, "Doggystyle"

Cure, "Head on the Door"

Digable Planets

Cheap Trick

add to this

Whitesnake, and

Scorpions

Oh yeah, and Soulstation, Blue Train, Kind of Blue, etc. etc. etc.

What the HELL is up with that.

Great use of chords?

Hellyeah!

:excited:

And what the hell:

B000001FYZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Crazy World comes a bit late in my love of The Scorps. I prefer everything between Love Drive and Love at First Sting. Of course, many hardcore Scorps fans dismiss everything they did without Uli Roth.

I'd have to say "China White" from BLACKOUT and "The Same Thrill" from LAFS are particular faves.

If this thread is moving towards 80s hair metal, it may lead me into revealing some REAL embarassing shit.

• 4 months later...

Brought this thread back up to really, really embarrass myself! Remember Toto Coelo????? Just got this cd from overstock.com for a buck......

c829214l6vj.jpg

I saw the video once or twice on T.V. in St. Louis, pre MTV(At least in my neck of the woods) they were dressed in what looked like dyed trash bags, I thought they looked pretty hot, and the song I Eat Cannibal got a fair bit of radio play for a few weeks at least.....Wonder if I can find those lyrics???

Of course!!!!! :P

I Eat Cannibals

Total Coelo

(chorus)

I eat cannibal

Feed on animal

Your love is so edible to me

I eat cannibals

I eat cannibal

It's incredible

You bring out the animal in me

I eat cannibals

What can you do

You're in a stew

Hot pot cook it up

I'm never gonna stop

Fancy a bite

My appetite

Yum yum gee it's fun

Banging on a different drum

(chorus)

I like a spice

Tasty and nice

Roastin, vitamin

Forget the dietin'

Mmm such a dish

I can't resist

Healthy recipe

What you got is good for me

All I wanna do

Make a meal of you

We are what we eat

You're my kind of meat

Got a hunger for your love

(Hot pot cook it up, I'm never gonna stop)

It's all I'm thinkin' of

(Yum yum gee it's fun, I'm banging on a drum)

Give the world a bone

(Roastin vitamin, forget the dietin')

I got steak at home

(I eat cannibals)

(chorus)

Roastin', toastin', you're the one I'm boastin'

Eat me, eat you, incredibly delicious too

Gourmet, flambe, serve you up an entree

Intake, home bake, you're the icing on the cake

Eat me, eat you, incredibly delicious too

Gourmet, flambe, serve you up an entree

Intake, home bake, you're the icing on the cake

Full up, can't stop, dicing on a chop chop

Total Coelo - 1982

I also have a Mazzy Star album--the female singer's voice does something for me. I have The Sundays READING WRITING & ARITHMETIC for similar reasons--sultry female singers get me!

:w

:tup for Mazzy Star and the Sundays both ... and I don't even feel guilty about it.

On the other hand, I was driving my mother-in-law's car (no CD player) around the other day and heard that old Vanessa Williams sapfest "Save the best for last" on the radio ... on that one I DO have to plead guilty!

I also went through a kind of girl indie pop kind of phase (Belly, Throwing Muses, Juliana Hatfield, Tanya Donnelly, Veruca Salt, etc.) that my wife continues to tease me about.

I missed this thread the first time around, but I figure since everyone else can bare their souls, I can do the same...

I got into music in the summer of '89, before my freshman year of high school. Before that, I never really listened to much music besides what was on the radio...and ofcourse, Michal Jackson's 'Thriller' and, for some reason, the 'Streets of Fire' soundtrack. But the first music that I really got into...I must confess...were all those hair bands from the late 80's/early 90's. Motley Crue, Poison, Skid Row, Tesla, Cinderella, L.A. Guns, Dangerous Toys...yeah, pretty much all of it. And y'know what? I actually still like a lot of it! I think a lot of it has to do with nostalgia...and the fact that my girlfriend still likes all that stuff as well. I actually got rid of all that stuff when I got into punk rock/indie rock in the mid-90s...but in the past year or so, I've been bitten by the nostalgia bug and (here comes the worst part) actually bought a lot of that stuff again. :( But y'know what? I enjoy the hell out of it! I don't listen to it that often, but when I do it's fun and it makes me think of days gone by...

Oh, and vibes...I also went through a period ('94-'95) where I was into death metal/grindcore/et al. Entombed and Carcass were my personal faves. I still have that stuff, too, so...don't feel bad. ;)

Well I love certain feamle fronted bands from the 90's. I'm now listening to The Cardigans' Life. I also love some old Britpop; Pulp, Suede, Blur mostly.

Awfully old fashioned but I was partial to Roxy and Bowie when I was in my early teens.

I went through a phase of Motown that I sporadically revisit.

Gladys Knight, ELO (for crying out loud!) and George Michael are often in the deck.

cheers, tonym

(takes deep breath, grits teeth in anticipation of much laughter and derision):

Dancing Queen, baby! I'll even sing along with the low-end voice on the chorus.

We've Only Just Begun. Love to sing along with the harmonies on that one, too.

That's enough for now. I think I've said too much already! :w

Oh man, where's Joe G?  I was talking about Gino with somebody the other day and Joe had no idea who we were talking about!  I told him I didn't know much about the guy, I just remember the records in my dad's collection and how every one had this Italian dude with poofy hair and his shirt undone with chest hair flowing out all over the place!

HA!  That's funny shit.  I should listen to those records of my dad's.  I could never bare to open them when I was younger!  The guy looked too darn swarmy.

Jim, you were discussing Gino Vanelli with Brian and I in Ann Arbor. Brian mentioned that we had attended a Gino Vanelli concert in 1978 or so, although we didn't know each other back then.

I particularly liked "Brother to Brother" and "Gist of the Gemini." Haven't heard these albums in years. Wouldn't mind listening to them again to see if they still kick.

Okay my secret weakness is....Michael Franks. Oh the shame!! :(:unsure: I'm a sucker for quiet sambas and he's made a career out of them. I even don't mind his singing. I generally like the themes of his lyrics and identify with much of them given my much-travelled and wayward life.

Just found this thread. Yup, my bro's and I used to listen to Ol' Dad's 8 track of Storm At Sunup...have to admit I dug it, too. Gino didn't have the chops to write deep jazz compositions as he obviously wished he could, but man, he could come up with some stellar lyrics, like "now don't get paranoid, I ain't a horny lil' mongoloid"

Gist of the Gemini and Pauper In Paradise were overblown, pompous and painfully dated, but I didn't care, dammit! I could still get into them now, if only for nostalgia's sake.

Michael Franks I got into a little later on, saw him in concert about 15 years ago but on stage he's stiffer than a wedding dick. His seventies albums up through One Bad Habit, with all those cute double-entendre-filled tunes and top session players were nothing to be embarrased about, anyway. "Popsicle Toes" is guaranteed to make just about anyone smile.

SS

I'll throw my view in. I've got pretty catholic taste and love lots of kinds of music from country to rock but with a big jazz thing.

In country its Jim Reeves. Just a few songs but He'll Have to Go especially.

ELO have their moments for me too.

The other Guilty Pleasures are those pop or dance tunes that get under your skin. You know you'll hate them eventually but Kylie, Cant get you out of my Head , Beyonce, Dangerous in Love, Avalances, Since I met You all get stuck in there...

One guilty musical pleasure: the BeeGees. Actually, those cats were great tunesmiths, whatever you think of their style. (I'm more a metal guy myself, but good music is good music.)

Someone mentioned Doris Day above. I've never heard her music, but she made some great romantic comedy films: Pillow Talk, That Touch of Mink, etc. Classic romantic comedies are another guilty pleasure of mine, but that's a matter for a movie thread :)

The Garcia thing reminded me of my favorite dead musician joke:

So this guy is a real Beethoven fanatic ... buys every recording he can find, goes to the orchestra all the time, names his dog "Ludwig," watches "Immortal Beloved" nonstop, etc., ... finally he saves up enough cash to go visit Beethoven's birthplace and all, and ends up at Beethoven's grave.

Now this guy is a real fanatic, and he gets the idea that he'll dig up ol' Ludwig ... so, he digs and digs, finally gets to the casket and pries it open ... there's Beethoven, with a mess of musical scores and a pencil, and he (Beethoven) is just erasing like crazy.

The guy who digs him up says "Beethoven, what are you doing?"

Beethoven says "I'm decomposing!"