Secret Listening Pleasures

Dave James

Well, of course I don't listen to anything like Gino Vanelli, but it seems to me that anything I listen to that would cause me any embarrassment is stuff that people here dig. I mean, my Anita O'Day stuff would probably sound weird to people at work, but not to you guys... I dunno, if Nina Hagen counts, maybe I should mention my obsession with Lene Lovich. On the other hand, if that's too weird, I never heard of her! ;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh christ, where do I start? :o

Thomas Dolby is a genius, who is, sadly, mostly remembered for his novelty hit "She Blinded Me with Science"-- like believing that Louis' "Hello Dolly" is the pinnacle of his ability---there's SO much more beyond that.

Someone mentioned Duran Duran. I love their first 2 albums, released just before they were pin-ups.

Someone mentioned The Fixx, and I, too, have around 80% of their recorded output, and I still love most of it.

Although I agree with nearly all of what Tony has ever stated here about pop-rock music of the past 20 years, I can't get on board with Amy Grant's music...though I do agree about her ability to thrill my nether parts.

Not a Gino Vanelli fan, but I enjoy "I Just Wanna Stop" when it comes on the radio every 3 or 4 years. Same with "Living Inside Myself". I'm a sucker for AM Gold!!

Anyone familiar with French singer Barbara? A very good singer who died in 1997. I'm not really a fan

but a couple of songs she composed keep haunting me.

Look for the song 'Nantes' which is about the time she travelled to the Brittany port city after getting a

message indicating her father who had deserted his wife and children was dying in a hotel room.

She arrived too late.

A heartbreaking song on which she accompanies herself on piano.

Thomas Dolby is a genius, who is, sadly, mostly remembered for his novelty hit "She Blinded Me with Science"-- like believing that Louis' "Hello Dolly" is the pinnacle of his ability---there's SO much more beyond that.

Yeah, like writing Lene Lovich's New Toy! :g

You said it, Moose. I gots the New Toy 12" single! B)

I've never gotten with the whole "guilty pleasure" thing. You likes what you likes. As Moose said, a lot of stuff I like (Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennett) would strike a lot of people as totally square. Do I care? Not a bit. That said, I do have a SLIGHT weakness for some pop confection. I little while back, I experimented BRIEFLY with downloading MP3s off Kazaa. I stopped for ethical reasons, and also because there was nothing I really wanted to download. But I do have folder on my desktop marked "Guilty Pleasures" that contains "Work It Out" by Beyonce Knowles, "Supa Dupa Fly" by Missy Elliot, a couple of songs by Pink ("Get The Party Started" and "Don't Let Me Get Me"), "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, "No Such Thing" by John Mayer, a couple of recent Santana hits ("Smooth" and "The Game of Love"), "Without Me" by Eminem, and the Moulin Rouge version of "Lady Marmalade" (the one with L'il Kim, Christina Agulara, Pink, and Maya). I'm horribly embarassed, but at least I didn't pay for them!

I confess, I like Edie Brickell's song "What I Am." I also have a Mazzy Star album--the female singer's voice does something for me. I have The Sundays READING WRITING & ARITHMETIC for similar reasons--sultry female singers get me!

I occasionally break out my vinyl copy of The B-52's WILD PLANET so I can hear "Strobelight." Takes me back to my childhood.

Simon & Garfunkel's CONCERT IN CENTRAL PARK has sentimental value for me, as does early James Taylor.

Is that a copy of The Cure's THE HEAD ON THE DOOR on my shelf? Nah, couldn't be.

:w

Whatcha got there, jmjk?  I don't have many of mine anymore... somewhere in my closet still resides General Public's "Tenderness" and R.E.M.'s "South Central Rain."  Ah, the 1980s 12-inch, home of the club mix, the extended mix, the obscure-reference mix, and the odd non-album track!  Still got a couple of 7-inches from that era as well:  Jesus and Mary Chain's "Upside Down" (backed with a cover of Syd Barrett's "Vegetable Man") and the awe-inspiring Husker Du version of "Eight Miles High."

Yep, I have General Public's "Tenderness", too. In the laye 80s and early 90s it was like an obsession for me to collect 12" singles by bands I loved, so I've probably amassed 100-150 or so. Too many to name, but some that were the most fun are the early Simple Minds and early New Order singles. Many of the best 12"ers came from England in the 1980s, so grabbing them up was a real adventure!

I agree, GOM. The 12" single was like another art form! Not only did you get juicy remixes and bonus tracks, but you often had cool cover art that was related to its parent album, but took a theme somewhere different. It's actually the thing I miss most about the death of mass produced vinyl. The cd single cannot compare. 7"ers were good as well. Of course, they HAD to have the picture sleeve. Still have my Joy Division "Love Will Tear Us Apart" 7-inch.

Noj-- Head on the Door is on my shelves too, along with all the other Cure albums and most of the 12" singles. I guess I should bear the most shame! :g

Edited by jmjk

Since we're talking 80s here, I'll confess to having liked George Michael's FAITH and some of his Wham! stuff as well. Throw yer rocks 'n projectiles now!

YES! I listen to this stuff all the time too. George Michael wrote some great songs during this period. I think I'll go listen to some now. :tup

Anyone like any of these?

f32273h2qe1.jpg

f37994yhodf.jpg

f59513p0fnk.jpg

d35102ke7p1.jpg

I get a lot of people raising their eyebrows or laughing at me when I listen to stuff like this. I never turn my music off at work, and since I use a 20GB MP3 player, I just put a bunch of different stuff on the playlist and let it run. Most people seem to think that jazz is the only thing I listen to, since that's most of what's on my player...But then every once in a while I throw in stuff from albums like these, just to keep 'em guessing! :P

I've mentioned in other threads that I primarily listened to death metal before I got into jazz, and I still have all my death metal CD's and still listen to them from time to time (usually when my wife is gone). Here's a favorite:

d17494ut241.jpg

If you've ever seen Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, these guys were in the movie. This particular album caught Bob Dole's attention in the early 90's, when he was on his music censorship kick. With what is quite possibly the most disgusting album cover I've ever seen, and song titles like "Addicted to Vaginal Skin," "Hammer Smashed Face" and "I Cum Blood," I can't imagine why. :rolleyes: Can't say I'm into the lyrics or song titles (you can't understand a word sung anyway), but it's one of the classic albums of the genre. :D

You said it, Moose.  I gots the New Toy 12" single!  B)

Same here; it's the only 12" single I've ever bought

Should I be ashamed to say that my vinyl racks contain over 100 12" singles from the 1980s? Yeah, perhaps... :)

Oops! A small correction; I just remembered the Plimsouls "A Million Miles Away" is in there. Jeez, I've got to get a decent turntable some day...

ghost of miles Posted: Aug 23 2003, 03:49 PM   

....and the awe-inspiring Husker Du version of "Eight Miles High." 

Hell, YES David! I got that one, and it's a real shredder, 3 minutes of punk pop heaven, makes the original by the Byrds sound positively quaint and prissy.

Another great Husker Du 45 in my collection: their version of "Love is All Around," otherwise known as the Mary Tyler Moore Show theme, which is on the b-side of the "Makes No Sense at All" single (released right around the time of the FLIP YOUR WIG album). Another winner. They could do no wrong around that period.

Anyone like any of these?

:tup I'm down with the first two, but WINGER?!?!?? ;)

OK, I'll 'fess up to owning more than one Tesla CD...

At the risk of embarassing myself further, I'll also admit I occasionally enjoy some Snoop-D-O-double-Gee and Dr. Dre.

As far as the teenager stuff goes, anybody remember arena-rock gods Triumph or Aldo Nova?