Christmas songs you absolutely HATE!

Big Al

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think that the stuff that is mentioned here is bad and admittedly it is then you should hear some of the christmas dreck played at country radio. It would make some of the stuff mentioned here seem like high art in comparison. BTW I'm in the distinct minority in that I like some of the Aaron Neville christmas stuff but a lot of the Christmas and non Christmas music he has done in the last few years just don't make it.

I love Christmas! It's just a very happy time of year for my family. We all know Christmas isn't just about the lights, the music, the gifts, the food, but it's all nice. If there's one time of year that makes me feel great, it's Christmas! I don't wanna sound mean, but I hate when people say they hate Christmas. They must be living miserable lives!

I love Christmas! It's just a very happy time of year for my family. We all know Christmas isn't just about the lights, the music, the gifts, the food, but it's all nice. If there's one time of year that makes me feel great, it's Christmas! I don't wanna sound mean, but I hate when people say they hate Christmas. They must be living miserable lives!

How about Thanksgiving?

Perhaps because I associate it with a very pleasant young female clerk I met in a shoe store about four years ago at this time of year, I have positive feelings about "Jingle Bell Rock." To explain a bit, as she was totaling up my purchase that song was playing in the store, and she was semi-unconsciously bouncing her head a bit to it in a way that seemed to rhyme with her own genuine amiability and whatever else it was that allowed her to get through the day and the season with soul and body in one piece. Whatever -- it just hit me that way then, and it does every time I hear the song.

As for "The Little Drummer Boy" and "Silver Bells," hand me my Uzi and plastique.

Wham!'s "Last Christmas"

Damn! Another guilty pleasure, right up there with that Waitresses song and that McCartney song. I oughta just make a compilation of Christmas guilty pleasures and call it "Xmas Music from Hell!"

Jazz Kat, I love Christmas; that's part of why I started this thread: to vent about songs that absolutely RUIN my (and anyone else's) Christmas mood! :)

Perhaps because I associate it with a very pleasant young female clerk I met in a shoe store about four years ago at this time of year, I have positive feelings about "Jingle Bell Rock." To explain a bit, as she was totaling up my purchase that song was playing in the store, and she was semi-unconsciously bouncing her head a bit to it in a way that seemed to rhyme with her own genuine amiability and whatever else it was that allowed her to get through the day and the season with soul and body in one piece. Whatever -- it just hit me that way then, and it does every time I hear the song.

Still hate the song, but love the story. That's what pop music is supposed to be about in the end (until the end, though, is a different matter altogether....), and that's why pop, in its own non-musical/intellectual/whatever way, is capable of a simple yet undeniable profundity that too often escapes us "smart" people.

So shoot me:

I like Bobby Helms' "Jingle Bell Rock". I like John Lennon's Christmas 45, tho I'm not sure of the name - "And So This Is Christmas"?. And I like Aaron Neville - even have the Christmas CD that came out a few years ago and play it once or twice each season.

Can't stand Burl Ives' "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas".

Has anyone read the book on Burl Ives and John Cage? This is a serious question. I saw it in a catalog about ten years ago, but never ordered it. The whole idea of a book pairing that twosome intrigued me.