Hollywood Saxophone Quartet

flat5

I have their 1955 LP released by Liberty in the "Jazz in Hollywood" series (LJH 6005).

I first became aware of them through the Liberty "Jazz in Hollywood" sampler that has one of their tracks and then picked up this LP through eBay just to see what it was all about. (They later did a second LP for Liberty but I've never heard that one)

I can imagine that musicians will find this material intriguing; for me as a non-musician it is quite interesting to listen to but I'd qualify only part of it as jazz.

(Neither Jepsen nor Bruyninckx list these LP's in their discographies, by the way)

The musicians were Russ Cheever (ss), Jack Dumont (as), Morrie Crawford (ts), Bill Ulyate (bs) plus Mike Rubin (b) and Richie Cornell (d).

According to the liner notes of LJH 6005 the arrangements were done by Marty Paich, Lennie Niehaus, Jack Montrose, Warren Barker, Russ Garcia, Billy May and Morrie Crawford: Lennie Niehaus contributed the arrangements to 4 of the 12 titles on the LP.

Thanks Steve for saving me some typing :-)

I have all four records (from E-Bay) + my old copy of Jazz in Hollywood.

I transfered them to CD. Did a lot of manual pop removal over 4 days.

I also made very clean parts and scores using Finale.

We have been practicing this material for over a year and a half and are still interested in doing it better. Most of the charts are by Lennie.

It is somewhat unique material.

• 4 weeks later...

I came to the HSQ through Spud Murphy's GNP side that features 3 of the 4 members . Their playing on that recording had me looking for their Liberty records , especially their second one 'Warm Winds' , which features more Spud Murphy charts . When I finally heard that record I was mildly disappointed to find that Spud's charts were more classical than jazz in nature . Still pretty interesting music , but I prefer the intricate ensemble swing and rhythmic brio found on the GNP record as well as on HSQ's self-titled debut on Liberty , and on their third Liberty LP 'Sax Appeal' . Their fourth and final record 'French Impressions' on Verve, is classical and not jazz . The group had a readily recognizable sound , due in part to the tone and vibrato of Russ Cheever's soprano which imparted a particular harmonic color to the ensembles .

Those fond of the Niehaus octets or chamber jazz in general , will want to bend an ear in the direction of these podcasts : >>CLICK<<

Thank you for the comments and the link, Chas.

Am DLing one of the music files now.

Will see/hear how it goes :-)

...it goes well. After download I just change the filename and importantly, the extention from cmp to mp3

Edited by flat5

• 2 years later...

Thanks Steve for saving me some typing :-)

I have all four records (from E-Bay) + my old copy of Jazz in Hollywood.

I transfered them to CD. Did a lot of manual pop removal over 4 days.

I also made very clean parts and scores using Finale.

We have been practicing this material for over a year and a half and are still interested in doing it better. Most of the charts are by Lennie.

It is somewhat unique material.

Hi There,

I have been searching the web for the Hollywood Sa Quartet charts by Lennie Niehaus and came across an old post of yours. Are those charts you put into Finale available? I have some I could swap with you if you're interested.

Harry

• 7 months later...

I'm a little confused about who's looking for what, but if you're looking for HSQ charts, I can help you acquire them. Feel free to contact me for details.

Hello,

I'm new and came across this forum while searching for a copy of Sax Appeal by the HSQ. According to this note of yours, there are charts available that were recorded by the HSQ and I'm interested in buying some of them. I have the Gold Rush Suite which I bought in the late 50's or 1960 when I was in high school and would love to have other genuine arrangements. If possible please let me know.

thanks

dave

• 8 months later...

I have a band that plays their music.

Is this a group that anyone here has enjoyed?

Anyone ever meet or have known these guys?

Any stories (besides the one Google finds) or pictures?

I studied alto and clarinet with Russ Cheever. Great guy, as was Jack. I never met Bill or Morrie. Both were well liked by their peers.) I worked with Jack Dumont at the very end of his career, in a theater- in-the-round. He later became a union business rep. I know of only four records, of which I have three. There would seem to be a market for them, but who knows what record company people are thinking?

• 3 months later...