Charles Tolliver Big Band - "With Love" (due Jan. 16th)

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or give your old Tolliver CD's to somebody else who would enjoy them. (That's what I did -- to a musician buddy of mine who doesn't often have the coin to spring for CD's.)

The cost might bug you for a few days, but you'll be glad you did in the long run. I sure was. :)

I'll probably pick it up next year.

From today's Mosaic newsletter:

A Mosaic Records First! New Recording for the Mosaic Records/Blue Note jazz label

Charles Tolliver Big Band - With Love

Since the inception of Mosaic, we've longed to get involved in recording new music. When we heard Charles Tolliver's newly reformed big band at the Jazz Standard in New York two years ago, something had to be done. And the debut album by this remarkable orchestra is the first album on the jointly produced Mosaic/Blue Note label.

More than 30 years after its two classic Strata-East albums by Tolliver under the banner Music Inc. Orchestra, the Charles Tolliver Big Band has regrouped. Fueled by Tolliver's intricate, original writing and driven by the rhythm team of Cecil McBee and Victor Lewis, the band's soloists include Billy Harper, Craig Handy, Howard Johnson, Stanley Cowell and Robert Glasper among its soloists.

The seven extraordinary Tolliver charts include six originals and an ingenious reworking of Thelonious Monk's "'Round Midnight." This highly unique and exciting music balances intricate lines and harmonies with solid hard bop grooves. The Charles Tolliver Big Band represents the first fresh voice for this instrumentation in a long while and we are delighted to offer this as the first Mosaic Records/Blue Note label release.

TOLLC03 CD Regularly $17.98 - Sale Price for $15.98 (Available Jan. 16th)

I wonder if we should assume that Mosaic's involvement will preclude BMG/Your Music getting ahold of this.

If you really care if they do more sessions buy the disc from Mosaic. Let the label and the artist reap the tiny rewards.

the cut i heard was beautifully recorded and splendid music.

Then buy it from Mosaic.

Have listened through a couple of times...I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing. I dig in particular his arrangement of "Round Midnight," as well as the first and fourth track (Billy Harper sounds GREAT on this one). It is, indeed, very loud, but I honestly don't mind that :P . Recording quality is great, the band sounds great, and I honestly like Charles' playing now more than his playing back in the 60s and 70s...it's got a somewhat more "finalized" quality whereas it still sounded like he was searching for his own sound back then.

Dude, the first big band I ever heard live was Basie, 1970, in a theatre. No mikes except up front for soloists. The dynamic range was extreme, as you'd expect, but when they hit full roar, forget about talking to the person next to you.

Hey - it's (usually) 12 or more horns + rhythm section. No record can capture the full range & power of that sound. Simply incredible when it's a good band hitting on all cylinders.

I caught a couple of tunes in performance at the IAJE conference last weekend, and yes, they were moving some air! In addition to that, I think the sound man had been mixing concerts all day (this was about 11:30pm) and had gradually gotten the levels louder and louder. So, even though the volume was at times physically painful, the band was playing that challenging music with great spirit, and a good time was being had by most (including me)! :P

Edited by DukeCity

Dude, the first big band I ever heard live was Basie, 1970, in a theatre. No mikes except up front for soloists. The dynamic range was extreme, as you'd expect, but when they hit full roar, forget about talking to the person next to you.

Hey - it's (usually) 12 or more horns + rhythm section. No record can capture the full range & power of that sound. Simply incredible when it's a good band hitting on all cylinders.

I'm half-joking here. I've seen a few myself, including Maynard and Don Ellis in the 70's, Gerald Wilson's band just last Fall and even THIS one a couple of years ago. I really have no trouble with "loud".

But there is something strident (I can't think of another word, right now) about the sound of this band on CD as well as the records from the 70's. It may be the frontal assault by the trumpet section. It's not a problem, just an observation.

Oh, well, those 70s Music Inc Big Band sides were horribly recorded! Can't tell you why or how, but the results speak for themself.

Haven't heard this one yet, but you know, people in the "sound" world today are quite often equally quite clueless about what to do with one horn to make it sound natural. Never mind what to do with a buttload full of 'em.

And then when it comes time to mix and master... :alien::alien::alien::alien::alien:

I've had a couple of listens all the way through. High energy, for sure. You can tell the band had some experience playing together before the recording--some of those riffs sound complex and they hit them hard and precisely ('precise' in a good, loose jazz fashion). Altogether, I'm really enjoying the music.

The recording quality is OK for the most part, but the bass is underrecorded (at least it's hard to hear sometimes on my system). Elllington knew how the bass should be recorded on big band sides,listen to the 40s Victor sessions.