The Porcupine Tree Corner

Uncle Skid

Would be nice if he decided to pass through Texas again some day.

How about Philly on May 28, Aggggggggggg?

Now why on earth do you think I have any affiliation with Philly?? :w

Yeah, might have to consider that one for sure!

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, because of your love of cheese steaks??? :shrug[1]:

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gavin Harrison has a new album coming out entitled "Cheating The Polygraph" which features Porcupine Tree songs in new jazz arrangements.

Here's a quick sampler with clips from each of the songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCPiNby-DY

Just had a look at the line-up of that record. Some excellent Brit jazz musicians aboard:

Gavin Harrison – Drums & Percussion, Marimba (2,4,5,6)

Laurence Cottle – Bass, Rhodes (3), Trombone (8)

Nigel Hitchcock – Sax

Dave Stewart – Orchestral Percussion

~ with

Larry Williams – Flute (1)

Andy Findon – Flute (1,6)

Tom Walsh – Trumpet (1,2,6)

Mark Nightingale – Trombone (1-7)

Adrian Hallowell – Bass Trombone (1,3), Tuba (4), Euphonium (4)

Freddie Gavita – Trumpet Solo (2)

Pete Long – Tubax (2)

Ryan Quigley – Trumpet (3,5,7,8)

Gareth Lockrane – Flute (3,4)

Ben Castle – Clarinet (4,6)

Andy Wood – Trombone (4), Baritone Horn (4), Tenor Horn (4)

John Barclay – Trumpet (4)

Gary Sanctuary – Piano (7)

(Maybe not all are...but most are regulars in these Isles)

• 7 years later...

Bumping this old thread...

Porcupine Tree reunited this year, and put out a new album, "Closure/Continuation".  It doesn't appear to have really been a conscious decision to reunite, just a sharing of musical ideas mainly between Steven Wilson and Gavin Harrison over the past decade, which then turned into Richard Barbieri also interacting with the other two guys.  SW played a lot of the bass on these jams, so apparently they didn't get to the point of asking original bassist Colin Edwin to participate.  Anyway, I really enjoy the album, it took a little while to hit me right off, but it's a grower, I think.

They also have a world tour going on, that started on Saturday night in Toronto.  Montreal is tonight, with a number of dates in the U.S. to follow, and then Mexico City, a date in Chile, and then Europe.  I was able to make it to the Toronto show, and it was a fantastic experience.  A lot of joy in the sold out audience, just to see the band back together, after a decade of being defunct and no prospects for a reunion.  Randy McStine augments the band on guitar and vocals, and the bass duties are being handled by Nate Navarro.  Both did well in their roles, and the core band sounded amazing.  The light show and videos are also well done, and fit the music very well.

If anyone is thinking about seeing them, I whole-heartedly recommend you go!

09/10 – Toronto, ON @ Meridian Hall
09/12 – Laval, QC @ Place Bell
09/14 – Boston, MA @ MGM Music Hall at Fenway
09/16 – New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
09/17 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Met
09/18 – Washington, DC @ The Anthem
09/20 – Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre
09/21 - Milwaukee, WI @ Uihlein Hall Marcus Center
09/23 – Irving, TX @ The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory
09/25 – Denver, CO @ Bellco Theatre
09/28 – San Francisco, CA @ The Masonic
09/30 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre
10/04 – Mexico City, MX @ Pepsi Center
10/07 – Santiago, CL @ Movistar Arena
10/21 – Berlin, DE @ Max Schmelinghalle
10/23 – Vienna, AT @ Gasometer
10/24 – Milan, IT @ Forum
10/27 – Stockholm, SE @ Globe
10/28 – Copenhagen, DK @ Falkoner Theatre
10/30 – Katowice, PL @ Spodek Hall
11/02 – Paris, FR @ Le Zenith
11/04 – Stuttgart, DE @ Porsche Arena
11/06 – Oberhausen, DE @ KP Arena
11/07 – Amsterdam, NL @ Ziggodome
11/09 – Zurich, CH @ Halle 662
11/11 – London, UK @ SSE Arena

Bumping an old thread is right! it even has Shawn (wonder what happened to him and if he's still in LA) and AfricaBrass in it. Haven't thought about PT in ages, though one of the best rock shows I ever went to was PT in Seattle, it was great. I'll have to take a listen to the new one to see what it's like. Still maintain that Signify is their best album, but maybe I'll revisit some and see what I think of them now. Erik, you were the first to talk about them here, it all seems ages ago.

7 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Bumping this old thread...

Porcupine Tree reunited this year, and put out a new album, "Closure/Continuation".  It doesn't appear to have really been a conscious decision to reunite, just a sharing of musical ideas mainly between Steven Wilson and Gavin Harrison over the past decade, which then turned into Richard Barbieri also interacting with the other two guys.  SW played a lot of the bass on these jams, so apparently they didn't get to the point of asking original bassist Colin Edwin to participate.  Anyway, I really enjoy the album, it took a little while to hit me right off, but it's a grower, I think.

They also have a world tour going on, that started on Saturday night in Toronto.  Montreal is tonight, with a number of dates in the U.S. to follow, and then Mexico City, a date in Chile, and then Europe.  I was able to make it to the Toronto show, and it was a fantastic experience.  A lot of joy in the sold out audience, just to see the band back together, after a decade of being defunct and no prospects for a reunion.  Randy McStine augments the band on guitar and vocals, and the bass duties are being handled by Nate Navarro.  Both did well in their roles, and the core band sounded amazing.  The light show and videos are also well done, and fit the music very well.

If anyone is thinking about seeing them, I whole-heartedly recommend you go!

09/10 – Toronto, ON @ Meridian Hall
09/12 – Laval, QC @ Place Bell
09/14 – Boston, MA @ MGM Music Hall at Fenway
09/16 – New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
09/17 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Met
09/18 – Washington, DC @ The Anthem
09/20 – Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre
09/21 - Milwaukee, WI @ Uihlein Hall Marcus Center
09/23 – Irving, TX @ The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory
09/25 – Denver, CO @ Bellco Theatre
09/28 – San Francisco, CA @ The Masonic
09/30 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre
10/04 – Mexico City, MX @ Pepsi Center
10/07 – Santiago, CL @ Movistar Arena
10/21 – Berlin, DE @ Max Schmelinghalle
10/23 – Vienna, AT @ Gasometer
10/24 – Milan, IT @ Forum
10/27 – Stockholm, SE @ Globe
10/28 – Copenhagen, DK @ Falkoner Theatre
10/30 – Katowice, PL @ Spodek Hall
11/02 – Paris, FR @ Le Zenith
11/04 – Stuttgart, DE @ Porsche Arena
11/06 – Oberhausen, DE @ KP Arena
11/07 – Amsterdam, NL @ Ziggodome
11/09 – Zurich, CH @ Halle 662
11/11 – London, UK @ SSE Arena

18 hours ago, Matthew said:

Bumping an old thread is right! it even has Shawn (wonder what happened to him and if he's still in LA) and AfricaBrass in it. Haven't thought about PT in ages, though one of the best rock shows I ever went to was PT in Seattle, it was great. I'll have to take a listen to the new one to see what it's like. Still maintain that Signify is their best album, but maybe I'll revisit some and see what I think of them now. Erik, you were the first to talk about them here, it all seems ages ago.

It was certainly ages ago, Matthew! I'm glad you went and saw them in Seattle, and enjoyed it so much.  I did a search and I think first mentioned Porcupine Tree on this board in 2003, almost 20 years ago (yikes).  I'm not quite as obsessive about them as I was earlier, but I still love their music, and the overall evolution of their style and sound.  I also like a few of SW's solo albums better than some of the PT albums, which I'm not sure I ever would have thought earlier on.  

I still think the stretch of albums from Signify through Fear of a Blank Planet is almost perfect.  

Edited by Aggie87