Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Michael Weiss said:

I believe I was at that gig. August 10, 1981?

That was the first night. The album has tracks chosen from the 10th through the 15th.

I was about to say that I was jealous, but I saw/heard this duo a few years later in Atlanta - and with a better piano. "Hooray for Herbie" fell apart going back into the head after the solos. Lacy and Waldron stopped in confusion, looked at each other for a few moments, and just started up again where they left off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Continuing in the Nordic vein:
Terje Rypdal – Vossabrygg (ECM Records)
— With Terje Rypdal (guitar), Palle Mikkelborg (trumpet, synthesizer), Bugge Wesseltoft (electric piano, synthesizer), Ståle Storløkken (Hammond organ, electric piano, synthesizer), Marius Rypdal (electronics, samples, turntables), Bjørn Kjellemyr (electric and acoustic bass), Jon Christensen (drums), Paolo Vinaccia (percussion)
— Suite inspired by Mile Davis's electric period (the title means "Vossa Brew"); recorded live at Vossa Jazz Festival, Norway

41mXEXE25pL.jpg

Edited by alankin

On 2/10/2016 at 2:31 PM, JohnS said:

Various-Jazz+Jazz+West+Coast+-+An+Anthol

Jazz West Coast Volume 5 from this box.

Nice to listen to this set during the last few days.. Now on the first disc, one I have special affection for as it was my introduction to west coast jazz not far off 60 years ago.

71sTc1uyY1L._SL1500_.jpg

I just recently bought this for a decent price from a dealer on Amazon.  Listening to Disc 2 right now.  I gotta say, after acquiring a few of the Motown Complete Singles  collections, this Verve set is a bit disappointing.  Singles have two sides, so in my view, both sides of a disc should be included in a collection such as this even if the B-side is less than stellar.  The liner notes seem rather perfunctory; I guess they spent more time & effort on the book that was issued concurrently with this set.  Each disc is housed in a cardboard gatefold sleeve, but the inside of each is merely blank -- they could have at least added a few photos of various musicians there.  Still, there are many enjoyable tracks to be found here.  This set is worth getting at the right price.