Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, medjuck said:

Me too, though I think I have 5 of the discs as originally released  (one double cd and three single ones-- wonder what I'm missing?)

There are about twelve pieces not previously issued.   looking at the booklet I'd guess there is about 3 hours of additional music.

The set was lucky find at Tower Records in London.

Edited by JohnS
amplify

On 2/27/2016 at 8:54 AM, JohnS said:

There are about twelve pieces not previously issued.   looking at the booklet I'd guess there is about 3 hours of additional music.

The set was lucky find at Tower Records in London.

Discs 1-4 over the last two days all from the two August 1984 dates.  I like the casual loose feel  of the orchestra. 

Edited by JohnS

django_reinhardt-django_on_the_radio_a.j

Discs A & B.  Disc A has Mr. Reinhardt accompanied  by big bands and small groups from within those bands.  There are 4 tracks from the 1946 Chicago concert with Duke Ellington that have been previously released as part of an Ellington CD.  Most of the tracks find him accompanied by the members of the big band of the US Army Air Transport Command in 1945.  While there were no famous musicians among their personnel, they were a very competent (if generic) swing band and probably played even above their usual skill level given this once in a lifetime opportunity to perform with a genuine jazz master.  Disc B finds him back in France playing in quintet or sextet (when a pianist is included) formats in 1947.  Electric guitar was his instrument of choice by then and shades of bebop are in his playing.  Since most of these are radio transcription performances, the sound quality varies depending on the condition of the given source material for each number.

15 hours ago, duaneiac said:

django_reinhardt-django_on_the_radio_a.j

Discs A & B.  Disc A has Mr. Reinhardt accompanied  by big bands and small groups from within those bands.  There are 4 tracks from the 1946 Chicago concert with Duke Ellington that have been previously released as part of an Ellington CD.  Most of the tracks find him accompanied by the members of the big band of the US Army Air Transport Command in 1945.  While there were no famous musicians among their personnel, they were a very competent (if generic) swing band and probably played even above their usual skill level given this once in a lifetime opportunity to perform with a genuine jazz master.  Disc B finds him back in France playing in quintet or sextet (when a pianist is included) formats in 1947.  Electric guitar was his instrument of choice by then and shades of bebop are in his playing.  Since most of these are radio transcription performances, the sound quality varies depending on the condition of the given source material for each number.

I thought about getting this, but I decided that, as much as I love his music, I already have plenty of Django in my collection. Reading your comments makes me feel as if I made the right choice.

7 hours ago, paul secor said:

I thought about getting this, but I decided that, as much as I love his music, I already have plenty of Django in my collection. Reading your comments makes me feel as if I made the right choice.

I would never try to make the case that these are essential Django Reinhardt recordings, but there is much here to enjoy.  I actually liked hearing him in the big band setting and it looks like there will be some more of that on other discs in this set.  I have not listened to the other discs yet, but looking ahead I can see there is a reunion with Stephane Grappelli and Joseph Reinhardt on Disc D as well as appearances by Raymond Fol and Pierre Michelot.  Many tracks find him in a small group with the Benny Goodman-like clarinet of Hubert Rostaing, which I also find interesting -- kind of like a Goodman small group with Mr. Reinhardt playing the Lionel Hampton role.  The sound quality, so far, is generally fine/good for recordings of that period with only some exhibiting surface noise or distortion.  I have two other boxed sets from JSP of Django Reinhardt material and I would probably recommend either/both of those first to some one interested in exploring his music.

Duke Ellington – Soutlhland Café, Boston [CD 1A – Jan 1940 The Duke Box] (Storyville Records)
— With Rex Stewart, Wallace Jones, Cootie Williams / Joe Nanton, Lawence Brown, Juan Tizol / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Harry Carney / DE, Fred Guy, Jimmie Blanton, Sonny Greer / Herb Jeffires
— Titles include:  Little Posey, The Gal From Joe's, Tootin' through the Roof, Merry-Go-Round

8106-HFgq7L._SY550_.jpg

On 3/23/2016 at 9:35 PM, mikeweil said:

61DM8R3mVYL.jpg

I can't think of a better introduction to the history of this music called jazz. I wish this was standard listening especially for some self-crowned jazz experts over here who don't know sh..

I love that series...and the Blues sets too (though I've still half-a-dozen of the last discs to go). Whenever I play any of the discs there comes a point when I think 'What IS that?' And not just the cowboy songs! 

Agree totally about it being a brilliant introduction to jazz - perhaps not for the novice but for someone who knows some parts but has huge swathes unexplored, just perfect.  

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

not jazz, but - Bridget St. John: Dandelion Albums & BBC Collection (4 CD set)

A lovely singer...remember her well from the Peel shows of the early 70s.