Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra – The Centennial Edition – CD 8c/9a – July 1940 [The Early Forties Recordings – 1940-42] (RCA Victor)
— With Wallace Jones, Cootie Williams, Rex Stewart  / Joe Nanton, Lawence Brown, Juan Tizol / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Harry Carney, Ben Webster / DE, Fred Guy, Jimmie Blanton, Sonny Greer / Ivie Anderson
— Titles include: Harlem Air Shaft, At A Dixie Roadside Diner, All Too Soon / My Greatest Mistake, Sepia Panorama

51uJQyMvEWL.jpg     hqdefault.jpg   4098817.jpg

Edited by alankin

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://images37.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/300x300/4GTJCD-4409-2.jpg

Lu Watters' Yerba Buena Jazz Band - The Complete Good Time Jazz Recordings, disc 3. Not sure if this post is a confession, an opportunity for self-reflection, or a plea for help.:D

I got this box set - four CDs of the seminal West Coast New Orleans-style revival band - pretty cheaply a few years ago. I don't listen to it very often, but there are times (like tonight) when I crave it. Why? Why listen to this instead of a good New Orleans band? I'm not even sure I think it's "good" music. And if I want to listen to music derived from, but one or two steps removed from the New Orleans style, there are several European bands that are better than the Watters band (like Ken Colyer's or Papa Bues' Viking Jazz Band). But Watters' band had its own flavor, and I guess that every once in awhile I want to taste that flavor.

It's like not-that-good-but-still-pretty-great comfort food, I guess.

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

http://images37.concordmusicgroup.com/albums/300x300/4GTJCD-4409-2.jpg

Lu Watters' Yerba Buena Jazz Band - The Complete Good Time Jazz Recordings, disc 3. Not sure if this post is a confession, an opportunity for self-reflection, or a plea for help.:D

I got this box set - four CDs of the seminal West Coast New Orleans-style revival band - pretty cheaply a few years ago. I don't listen to it very often, but there are times (like tonight) when I crave it. Why? Why listen to this instead of a good New Orleans band? I'm not even sure I think it's "good" music. And if I want to listen to music derived from, but one or two steps removed from the New Orleans style, there are several European bands that are better than the Watters band (like Ken Colyer's or Papa Bues' Viking Jazz Band). But Watters' band had its own flavor, and I guess that every once in awhile I want to taste that flavor.

It's like not-that-good-but-still-pretty-great comfort food, I guess.

Sounds like it belongs in a "guilty pleasures" thread. :D