Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, sidewinder said:

The (Miles) Cellar Door set came and went faster than most of them, I think. Same with ‘Complete On The Corner’.

I really got lucky on both, entirely because I had those "40% off one item" Barnes and Nobel coupons (in-store only) periodically around this time.  So I ended up getting the 'Complete On The Corner' and 'Cellar Door' boxes that way (on release day, so I was sure to get them while the coupon was good).  And I think I got the 'Complete Jack Johnson' box that way too (40% off).

But if it hadn't been for those coupons, I'm positive I would have waited a few years until I (eventually) found used copies cheaper.  And only much later did I discover that the 'Complete On The Corner' sold out fairly quickly, and was nearly ALWAYS expensive used (later, ever more expensive than it was originally new).

Got DAMN lucky there -- 40% off on all three of them -- and I didn't have to spend literally YEARS wondering when I'd ever find one for a reasonable price.

Without those B&N coupons, the cheapskate in me would have waited -- and would have really lost out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Prepping for the 8/28 In Order to Survive shows, I’m digging into William Parker’s Wood Flute Songs

these expensive Quartet recordings from the 2006 shows at Yoshi’s & the 2007 shows from DiverseWorks in Houston are quite something. These cover the first 4 discs of the 8 CD box. Barnes isn’t the greatest trumpeter but Rob Brown is fine altoist and Parker & Drake don’t get old to me - and here they are playing in the multi-groove manner and segueing from one tune to the next effortlessly allowing the long sets to percolate and burn slowly. 

I know some are jaded to it all but Hamid Drake was and still is the man on so many levels. I saw the quartet (and an expanded group) a month or so after this box was released in 2013. The first night at The Stone remains a top 5 or 10 night for me. Two long sets where the energy never flagged and Drake was almost inhuman. I’ll nevef forget it nor will my wife. She was pretty new to all this music live and that’s the night she found her favorite drummer.

2 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Prepping for the 8/28 In Order to Survive shows, I’m digging into William Parker’s Wood Flute Songs

these expensive Quartet recordings from the 2006 shows at Yoshi’s & the 2007 shows from DiverseWorks in Houston are quite something. These cover the first 4 discs of the 8 CD box. Barnes isn’t the greatest trumpeter but Rob Brown is fine altoist and Parker & Drake don’t get old to me - and here they are playing in the multi-groove manner and segueing from one tune to the next effortlessly allowing the long sets to percolate and burn slowly. 

I know some are jaded to it all but Hamid Drake was and still is the man on so many levels. I saw the quartet (and an expanded group) a month or so after this box was released in 2013. The first night at The Stone remains a top 5 or 10 night for me. Two long sets where the energy never flagged and Drake was almost inhuman. I’ll nevef forget it nor will my wife. She was pretty new to all this music live and that’s the night she found her favorite drummer.

Regret never getting that box (may go for the dl one day). Only seen Parker/Drake twice but one was with Brotzmann, the other Gjerstad so I'm not complaining

Enjoy the Order To Survive shows

48 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

R-7811443-1449271251-4535.jpeg.jpg

Julia Lee - Kansas City Star (Bear Family). Earlier today I spun some of Lee's 1947 Capitol sessions with Benny Carter; right now it's the George Lee Orchestra, 1927-29, from disc one.

That one must have been a labor of love for Bear Family. Kudos to them for doing it - can't imagine they sold many sets.

• 2 weeks later...