Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Got me a copy last week - it includes some sides not reissued anywhere else. Listened to discs 1 & 2 this morning.

And I got a copy of that Machito 1943-48 transcriptions disc that you recently posted about!  I think that was what also prompted me to finally move on the Machito Proper collection, which I'd been meaning to get for quite some time.  So much appreciation, sir.  

51piH0fMADL._SS500.jpg

Discs 2 and 3 of 4.  A good overview of the history of jazz guitarists.  Still, if they could find room to include Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana in this "jazz" set, why then could they not find space for Baden Powell, Mundell Lowe, Emily Remler, Mary Osbourne, Bucky & John Pizzarelli, Martin Taylor or some other jazz musicians?  I know it's just my taste, but I would rather listen to Thornell Schwartz (also not included here) than Jimi Hendrix any ol' time!

Edited by duaneiac

On 12/29/2018 at 7:05 AM, mikeweil said:

R-3013705-1312318332.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1 while I started reading the bio - Dexter was so unique in his tone and phrasing!

Seeing your post the other day reminded me that I have not listened to anything from this boxed set in forever.  I doubt if I have ever listened to all the discs.  So, right now I am listening to Disc 4 of 6.

I had all the single Blue Note CDs - the only reason I got this set was that it includes the two sessions before the quartets with Sonny Clark that didn't produce enough (and not quite satisfying) music for an LP - Cuscuna had released them in the LT series with "Landslide" from an earlier session. Sometimes I think I should have kept all the single CDs. Oh well ....

But Dexter's playing makes me forget all such thoughts. 

Edited by mikeweil

16 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I had all the single Blue Note CDs - the only reason I got this set was that it includes the two sessions before the quartets with Sonny Clark that didn't produce enough (and not quite satisfying) music for an LP - Cuscuna had released them in the LT series with "Landslide" from an earlier session. Sometimes I think I should have kept all the single CDs. Oh well ....

But Dexter's playing makes me forget all such thoughts. 

There's also the interviews (which I only listened to once, though).