Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm only familiar with one of the discs in that set -- Shades -- but it is fantastic!  :tup 

It's a good set. The trio disc "Strange Serenade" with Alan Silva and Freddie Waits is also a standout. It took me several listens to connect with the other two (solo piano) CDs, but I now enjoy them too!

20 minutes ago, T.D. said:

It's a good set. The trio disc "Strange Serenade" with Alan Silva and Freddie Waits is also a standout. It took me several listens to connect with the other two (solo piano) CDs, but I now enjoy them too!

Andrew Hill borrowed Silva and Waits (who were playing with Bill Dixon) for that session.

4 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

What label is this on? I might be interested.

https://www.amazon.com/His-Musical-Autobiography-KING-COLE/dp/B00ZGUI6BE/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=B00ZGUI6BE&qid=1551907503&s=music&sr=1-1

It's a 12 disc set on Universal, released in 2015. The amazon tracklist is messed up, they list discs 10-12 first (a CD with unissued takes and two DVDs with a documentary and a live show from Australia; the actual disc 1 comes as 4 etc.

As an overview of his career for the non-completist it is excellent, you can expand on it any time with single CDs. It comes with a hardback book containing a career survey and full discographical details. 

Edited by mikeweil

49 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Thanks. That sounds very interesting. I only have a little Cole, so a career overview might be of interest. And the booklet makes it even more so.

Only possible problem: There are some copies with some CDs sticking to the cardbord slipcase housing fo the discs due to some excess glue getting into the wrong places - that's why they sold large quantities at a sellout price only months after it was released. In my copy two discs were sticking to the cardboard - I carefully took them out and was able to remove the glue residues from the discs with Scotch tape - they play back without problems. Inspect the set caarefully when you buy a copy.

19 hours ago, mikeweil said:

There are some copies with some CDs sticking to the cardbord slipcase housing fo the discs due to some excess glue getting into the wrong places

That sounds like the problem I have with the Armstrong Hot Fives and Hot Sevens from Sony Legacy longbox I got around 2000. I have the Hot Fives and Hot Sevens duplicated in another boxset from Sony, but I keep the longbox because it's a beauty in terms of layout and historical pictures. I still haven't figured out how to solve the problem, but I will try your angle. The problem I have is that the glue residues make the discs skip.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:03 PM, ghost of miles said:

MI0000121416.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

What a gas this is, to hear the Goodman band in its natural habitat, relaxed, unhurried, just riding that 4/4 in their own natural tempos, so many great Fletcher Henderson charts (& Jimmy Mundy ones as well)...at some point it becomes evident that, as with any language, a communal comfort with a more or less set vocabulary played repeatedly over not just minutes or hours, but days/months creates a deep and true intimacy.

In other words, this band was feeling it together, breathing it together, living it together. It's a joy to hear ANY band do that. The studio records of these charts (when they were made) feel totally different than they do here. Make mine these!

18 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

DKV Trio: Sound in Motion

Hamid Drake, Kent Kessler & Ken Vandermark 

5 discs from 5 nights between 2012 & 2014. 

Amazing sound quality & production

on Not Two Records 

You could provide a great service by explaining the differences with other recordings by these folks. There are a bunch.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

You could provide a great service by explaining the differences with other recordings by these folks. There are a bunch.

I’ve always thought/felt that it seemed so few are even interested in these musicians around these parts for unknown reasons. I’d love to discuss my relatively limited experience regarding the full DKV catalogue and then my deep interest in Vandermark’s music - specifically his many large ensemble projects that he’s recorded & toured with over the past 20 or so years but I think I’d bore people. I’m sad I’ve not been able to travel to see some of these groups like the Territory Band or Resonance Ensemble but I love the recordings - especially the Territory Band with some added electronics and the last 3 Resonance Ensemble recordings on Not Two records. A great combination of guys like Dave Rempis, Steve Swell and some great young European musicians playing Ken’s creative charts.

I think most know my history and thoughts regarding Hamid Drake. I’m just glad I’ll have another opportunity to see him live again this year at least once or twice more this year. First shows for me back in 1998 or 99, I think. My favorite is still the quartet with Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan & William Parker back in 1999 of 2000 at Vision Fest. People were dancing in the aisles. Stunning experience. 

These last 2 DKV boxes are all fully improvised groove based jazz save for the 2008 show on the previous box “Past & Present” where they improvise off of Don Cherry compositions. Maybe the best disc of the 12 discs that the 2 box sets contain.

1 minute ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ve always thought/felt that it seemed so few are even interested in these musicians around these parts for unknown reasons. I’d love to discuss my relatively limited experience regarding the full DKV catalogue and then my deep interest in Vandermark’s music - specifically his many large ensemble projects that he’s recorded & toured with over the past 20 or so years but I think I’d bore people. I’m sad I’ve not been able to travel to see some of these groups like the Territory Band or Resonance Ensemble but I love the recordings - especially the Territory Band with some added electronics and the last 3 Resonance Ensemble recordings on Not Two records. A great combination of guys like Dave Rempis, Steve Swell and some great young European musicians playing Ken’s creative charts.

I think most know my history and thoughts regarding Hamid Drake. I’m just glad I’ll have another opportunity to see him live again this year at least once or twice more this year. First shows for me back in 1998 or 99, I think. My favorite is still the quartet with Fred Anderson, Kidd Jordan & William Parker back in 1999 of 2000 at Vision Fest. People were dancing in the aisles. Stunning experience. 

These last 2 DKV boxes are all fully improvised groove based jazz save for the 2008 show on the previous box “Past & Present” where they improvise off of Don Cherry compositions. Maybe the best disc of the 12 discs that the 2 box sets contain.

I think you presume too much. Busy, but I might post more later.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I think you presume too much. Busy, but I might post more later.

Well I know a few are including you of course. Happy to know you and I will both be seeing Schlippenbach Trio and Mats Gustafsson Fire! albeit you in Knoxville, TN and me in New York! Unless you have a conflict at Big Ears - I’m hoping you get to see both trios - been almost 10 years since I’ve seen Gustafsson. He’s another one that has a wide variety of exciting recordings/projects of which I also love the large ensembles.