Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Now spinning some Gene Ammons while checking the discographical details. I didn't expect completeness from this box, but it happens to include all the EmArcy sides that were missing in my collection. But all the early Jug CDs on Chess or Prestige omit some tracks.  Only the Chronoilogical Classics seem to be complete but need to be amended by Tom Archia and Sonny Stitt compilations. Oh well ...

R-10594350-1500926221-7369.bmp.jpg

On 4/22/2019 at 7:14 AM, mikeweil said:

Now spinning some Gene Ammons while checking the discographical details. I didn't expect completeness from this box, but it happens to include all the EmArcy sides that were missing in my collection. But all the early Jug CDs on Chess or Prestige omit some tracks.  Only the Chronoilogical Classics seem to be complete but need to be amended by Tom Archia and Sonny Stitt compilations. Oh well ...

R-10594350-1500926221-7369.bmp.jpg

I spent some quality time with this very issue just recently.  Your post has got me reaching for it again.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

DKV Trio + Joe McPhee - 6 CD box set - 6 concerts from NOV & DEC 2017

The Fire Each Time

I've listenined to the first 2 discs (shows from France & Poland from 11/13 & 11/15/2017) and these shows are among the most exciting invigorating live jazz concerts one would ever want to hear. As usual with Not Two records the sound quality and production values are top of the heap.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...

R-12295436-1532546990-4225.jpeg.jpg

From one of the many European PD labels. Sound is inferior to the previous reissues on Fantasy or OJC. As I must know its contents for the discography in the upcoming second edition of the Cal Tjader bio, I had to get me a copy. The four page booklet lists the tracks, but no personnel or recording dates, just the albums they are from. Seems like they mixed up the track sequence of the 10" Savoy LP. I cannot recommend this. For car playback only.