Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Monk Riverside set is great, and I'm happy with the sound.

For the "Monk's Music" and "Monk and Mulligan" sessions, they used several mono tracks where stereo versions exist, and there is at least one out-take that they omitted. Nothing serious here, but it was a bit careless.

36 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

The Monk Riverside set is great, and I'm happy with the sound.

For the "Monk's Music" and "Monk and Mulligan" sessions, they used several mono tracks where stereo versions exist, and there is at least one out-take that they omitted. Nothing serious here, but it was a bit careless.

The mono tapes of "Monk's Music" are superior to the stereo, especially if you like Wilbur Ware.

• 1 month later...

Depends on how you interpret the title: Complete Quintet Studio Sessions implies - at least to me - that everything recorded at the sessions should be included. Since it's only two or three solos and one trio, why not. And the missing accordion tracks technically are quintets. The eight tracks with vocalists, making it a sextet, are included. But they miss the one alternate of a Teddi King track Verve issued on some compilation. 

BTW - there is an unissued version of "The Christmas Song" that would be nice to hear. Mosaic should have done that. United Archives is not Mosaic .....

Edited by mikeweil

On 5/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, sonnyhill said:

a2303640137_16.jpg

DKV & Joe McPhee the fire each time (Disc 1)

Great stuff. I’ve been through 4 of the 6 discs twice. The riffs & grooves are terrific. I prefer KV on baritone but he’s come a long way on his tenor. McPhee is a national treasure and he’s superb throughout. Only quibble is Kessler could be slightly higher in the mix.