Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A friend gave me this box set yesterday, and wow—so good! Quite a treasure trove of later Benny Goodman. I’ve been aware of the Yale Archive releases for many years, but had picked up only the one that covers big band recordings from 1957-1964. I’m just one disc into this collection and have already ordered its V. 6-10 followup:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the first disc of the second Music Masters Benny Goodman Yale archives box set, which includes a 1966 gig at the Rainbow Grill with Herbie Hancock filling in for Hank Jones—who knew?!?

s-l300.jpg

On 2/8/2022 at 10:20 AM, mikeweil said:

ZWc.jpeg

Starting at disc 9, when Jimmie Blanton had arrived, right now I'm spinning disc 11. Let's see how far I will get.

One of my all-time favorite jazz box sets. I’ve listened all the way through three times, I think, since I purchased it all the way back in 1999. Wonderful booklet, too, though my copy has started to come apart over time.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

A great box - as is the ‘Nucleus at the BBC’.

Yes, I'm happy with it. Purchased with practically zero foreknowledge, but have really enjoyed it and listened to the whole box through several times.

I opted for Nucleus's 6-CD Torrid Zone box on Esoteric (instead of the BBC set), and that was probably my favorite 2021 purchase. Would like to hear the BBC set, but doubt that I'll make the significant expenditure...

On 19/03/2022 at 10:59 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Now this baby  -

Ni03NzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Never heard of this one. Looked at Discogs' track list and was struck by Julia Lee's session for Premier. But not "Lotus blossom". what happened there? Mercury forget to buy the master when they bought the other stuff?

MG