Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

On 4/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, Bluesnik said:

Hot Jazz on Blue Note : Various [Jazz]: Amazon.es: CDs y vinilos}

I love this set. And I was really surprised today (but knew it from before )when I discovered Ray Coniff :wacko: playing trombone there. In a session by the Art Hodes Chicagoans.

Conniff was in Artie Shaw’s big band in the early/mid 1940s as well—did some composing and arranging. There’s a Jasmine CD that gathers a number of Conniff-connected sides from the swing era. And yeah, Hot Jazz On Blue Note is a treasure trove! Great notes (as always) by Dan Morgenstern.

Speaking of notes... Listening right now to a 2014 reissue of JSP’s Eddie Condon set. Like a couple of other JSP reissues of sets that originally came out in the 1990s/early 00s, the booklet seems to have been severely truncated. There actually is no booklet, just skimped-down selections from it in the CD tray liners. Bit of a drag, but still a fine gathering of Condon recordings from the late 1920s into the 1940s.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/1/2022 at 11:53 PM, Bluesnik said:

And I was really surprised today (but knew it from before )when I discovered Ray Coniff :wacko: playing trombone there.

I didn't remember it when I listened to it, but when I discovered it I remembered I'd seen that before. So I was in fact surprised.

NTMtMTYzOC5qcGVn.jpegRevisiting this warhorse from the Fantasy catalogue (speaking of which, I really miss the old print Fantasy catalogues that circulated in the 1990s and into the 2000s. I think I have one or two stashed in a box somewhere… used to love flipping through those and circling titles in which I was interested).

Edited by ghost of miles

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

NTMtMTYzOC5qcGVn.jpegRevisiting this warhorse from the Fantasy catalogue (speaking of which, I really miss the old print Fantasy catalogues that circulated in the 1990s and into the 2000s. I think I have one or two stashed in a box somewhere… used to love flipping through those and circling titles in which I was interested).

I did the same. It was great being able to buy back catalog CDs at $5 each, including shipping, though I didn’t fill all of my wish list prior to Concord’s purchase of Fantasy.

19 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Love it, the first big set I bought with Monk's Riverside, I play it often.

3 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Love it, the first big set I bought with Monk's Riverside, I play it often.

Same here. The Monk Riverside and the Bill Evans Riverside and Fantasy sets too. Oh - and the wonderful Coltrane Prestige. Plethora of riches !

Edited by sidewinder

23 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Revisiting this warhorse from the Fantasy catalogue (speaking of which, I really miss the old print Fantasy catalogues that circulated in the 1990s and into the 2000s. I think I have one or two stashed in a box somewhere… used to love flipping through those and circling titles in which I was interested).

I have a PDF of a late (possibly last) Fantasy catalog, and refer to it often.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...