Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

On 5/5/2023 at 5:46 PM, Clunky said:

Disc one of

Alan Skidmore — — A Supreme Love——( Confront)

Newly arrived six disc retrospective from Skid’s personal archive, mostly unreleased. Disc one has some tasty cuts his Dad, Humph, Alexis Korner, Dave Holland , Kenny Wheeler a.o. 

CD1 of this box, it's a blast so far

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 10:56 AM, John Tapscott said:

👍

Primary

One of the first big box sets that I bought when I was working in a record store, and one that I love to go back to from time to time.

Still making my way through recent-years binges on Soul Note and Black Saint sets:

71pz-KV8NBL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

… had forgotten how damn good Parallel Worlds is. 

232-Buddy-Rich-e1621029848222.jpg

This arrived yesterday.  I had three discs of this and hadn't listened to them in years, despite liking them (probably because they hadn't been ripped and uploaded to my YouTube Music library).  I'm glad that finding a set listed for cheap prompted me to grab it.  It's making think about grabbing the JATP Mosaic at some point.

On 7/13/2023 at 9:55 AM, Justin V said:

232-Buddy-Rich-e1621029848222.jpg

This arrived yesterday.  I had three discs of this and hadn't listened to them in years, despite liking them (probably because they hadn't been ripped and uploaded to my YouTube Music library).  I'm glad that finding a set listed for cheap prompted me to grab it.  It's making think about grabbing the JATP Mosaic at some point.

Rich is best listened to in a small group setting, where he seems to have been able to channel his inner Dave Tough and play brilliantly. To my ears, after he became a star and started leading that later big band his work always sounds like "hey look at me."

On 7/26/2023 at 10:57 PM, ghost of miles said:

That’a a good ‘un! Intro to the booklet by David Baker iirc.

Right now, one of the first jazz box sets I ever bought, along with the Bud Powell Blue Note and Roost set that came out around the same time:

41HRC8JYM5L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Those 90's BN boxes (Monk, Powell, Clifford Brown, and especially the Dex and Hancock) were beautifully executed.  Much prefer them to the Mosaic format.  Wish they had continued in that way.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Those 90's BN boxes (Monk, Powell, Clifford Brown, and especially the Dex and Hancock) were beautifully executed.  Much prefer them to the Mosaic format.  Wish they had continued in that way.

I have all of those sets! The Monk and especially the Powell box are beat to hell from my carting them around in a bag so much during my early years of DJing, when I was frequently biking back and forth to two different radio stations. Only thing I didn’t care for was the occasional deliberate jumbling and disordering of the booklet text, which was evidently in typographical fashion during the mid-1990s (the Miles Davis Plugged Nickel set was the worst in this regard iirc). 

21 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I have all of those sets! The Monk and especially the Powell box are beat to hell from my carting them around in a bag so much during my early years of DJing, when I was frequently biking back and forth to two different radio stations. Only thing I didn’t care for was the occasional deliberate jumbling and disordering of the booklet text, which was evidently in typographical fashion during the mid-1990s (the Miles Davis Plugged Nickel set was the worst in this regard iirc). 

That Plugged Nickel CD set booklet was an absolute travesty. Thank goodness Mosaic didn’t go down that route with their LP version.