Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Louis Armstrong: The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings. The sound on this set is atrocious, there has to be a better sounding set somewhere. :tdown

41dSah9jrwL._AA240_.jpg

Perhaps the widely lauded remastering by John R.T. Davies in the JSP box?

http://wc07.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&...10:dxfoxqwkldhe

Edited by Ron S

Louis Armstrong: The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings. The sound on this set is atrocious, there has to be a better sounding set somewhere. :tdown

41dSah9jrwL._AA240_.jpg

Matthew- here's a discussion on the original Louis Hot Fives and Sevens Sony box and the JSP box. http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...6&hl=sevens

Is your set the original or the 2006 set? I don't know if they're the same except for packaging. I would tend to think that Sony wouldn't do a new remastering when it had already been done a few years earlier.

Guess all of this doesn't help you much if you hate the sound on yours.

edit - You may want to check w. brownie about the Fremeaux series.

Edited by paul secor

Art Pepper Galaxy Box

You Sir have good taste, and have prompted me to dig that monster out myself.

Thanks, Yes, it's quite a project, but somebody has to do it. I love the clarinet playing on Anthropology. I have the Village Vanguard box too, I might wait a week before I jump into that.

412P8341N2L._AA240_.jpg

Billie Holiday on the Membran/Documents label-discs 1 through 4 so far. This is my 3rd set from Membran/Documents (the others being It's Louis Armstrong and Begin The Beguine [Artie Shaw]) and it's excellent. You get 10 discs in sturdy cardboard sleeves contained in a sturdy box that takes up the space of about 3 regular CDs. I'm very happy with the sound and it's not weighed down by a bunch of alternate takes. It contains 187 songs which I think cover all of her Columbia master takes along with a large portion of her Decca and Commodore releases. The only down side I would mention is that it's a bare bones package. There's no booklet or listing of personnel-you just get the song titles. For me, that was a minor quibble because this set was an absolute steal for a brand new/sealed set at less than $13.00 delivered. Given the fair amount of Billie I already have, I probably wouldn't have picked this material up at significantly higher prices so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

41dSah9jrwL._AA240_.jpg

Perhaps the widely lauded remastering by John R.T. Davies in the JSP box?

http://wc07.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&...10:dxfoxqwkldhe

I must be weird. I have three versions of this music: this box set pictured, the Davies remastered JSP, and the material on King Jazz cds.

I think the pictured box set has my favorite sound.

The Complete Modern Jazz Quartet Prestige & Pablo Recordings (Prestige), disc 1

That's a very strange-sounding box. I can see why it was put together like that but isn't there a big disconnect between the Prestige sides and the Pablo sides? There must have been 25 years or so between them.

MG

The Complete Modern Jazz Quartet Prestige & Pablo Recordings (Prestige), disc 1

That's a very strange-sounding box. I can see why it was put together like that but isn't there a big disconnect between the Prestige sides and the Pablo sides? There must have been 25 years or so between them.

MG

You are right. The box collects the following original albums:

- Modern Jazz Quartet / Milt Jackson Quartet, Prestige 7059 (1952)

- Django, Prestige 7057 (1953)

- Sonny Rollins With The Modern Jazz Quartet, Prestige 7029 (1953)

- Concorde, Prestige 7005 (1955)

- Reunion At Budokan 1981, Pablo 2308-243 (1981)

- Together Again, Live At The Montreux Jazz Festival, Pablo 2308-244 (1982)

- Echoes, Together Again, Pablo 2312-142 (1984)

- Topsy, This One's For Basie, Pablo 2310-917 (1985)

Edited by Tommy T