Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

31XP7E9JRRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Eric Dolphy--Complete Prestige Recordings

Besides Dolphy, Jaki Byard and Freddie Hubbard on the first disc were a great combo I wasn't accustomed to. Now on bluesy disc 2 with the Oliver Nelson Sextet [Richard Williams (tp) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Oliver Nelson (as, ts) Richard Wyands (p) George Duvivier (b) Roy Haynes (d)]

Just finished up the great Makanda Looking Ahead session on disc 2 [Ken McIntyre (as, fl) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Walter Bishop Jr. (p) Sam Jones (b) Art Taylor (d)]. Now sinking my teeth into Dolphy's Out There on disc 3

Done with the Latin Jazz Quintet with Dolphy [Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Carlie Simons (vib) Gene Casey (p) Bill Ellington (b) Manny Ramos (d, tim) Juan Amalbert (cga) ] -- eh

Onto disc 4 with Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Big Band's Trane Whistle session!! [bob Bryant, Clark Terry, Richard Williams (tp) Jimmy Cleveland, Melba Liston (tb) Eric Dolphy (as) Oliver Nelson (as, ts, arr) Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (ts) George Barrow, Jerome Richardson (ts, fl) Bob Ashton (bars) Richard Wyands (p) Wendell Marshall (b) Roy Haynes (d) George Wilkins (arr) ]

Just through with the end of disc 4 Far Cry session [booker Little (tp -1,2,4/6) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl -1/7, as -8) Jaki Byard (p -1/7) Ron Carter (b -1/7) Roy Haynes (d -1/7)], which exhibited some virtuosity, but I'm more interested by the beginning of disc 5 Oliver Nelson/Eric Dolphy - Straight Ahead (New Jazz NJLP 8255; Fantasy OJC 099, OJCCD 099-2)

NP Disc 6--from Mal Waldron - The Quest (New Jazz NJLP 8269; Prestige PR 7579; Fantasy OJC 082, OJCCD 082-2)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Done with the Latin Jazz Quintet with Dolphy [Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Carlie Simons (vib) Gene Casey (p) Bill Ellington (b) Manny Ramos (d, tim) Juan Amalbert (cga) ] -- eh

I didn't know the Latin Jazz Quintet made an album with Dolphy. Can't say I'm keen on him, but I might be interested in getting this separately, as I like the LJQ a lot. What's the original title and issue of this one, please?

MG

The Latin Jazz Quintet With Eric Dolphy

Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Carlie Simons (vib) Gene Casey (p) Bill Ellington (b) Manny Ramos (d, tim) Juan Amalbert (cga)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, August 19, 1960

2408 Sunday Go Meetin' New Jazz NJLP 8251

2409 First Bass Line -

2410 Mambo Ricci -

2411 Blues In 6/8 -

2412 Spring Is Here -

2413 Caribe -

* The Latin Jazz Quintet/Eric Dolphy - Caribe (New Jazz NJLP 8251; Fantasy OJCCD 819-2)

= Eric Dolphy - Caribe (Prestige MPP 2503)

For me, this session is a bit of a snoozer, though.

Well...

But thanks very much Zed.

MG

I noticed that there is another session of the Latin Jazz Quintet with Eric Dolphy that isn't included in the Dolphy Prestige box:

Latin Jazz Quintet With Eric Dolphy

Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Felipe Diaz (vib) Arthur Jenkins (p) Bobbie Rodriguez (b) Tommy Lopez (cga) Louis Ramirez (tim)

NYC, 1960-1961

You're The Cutest One United Artists UAL 4071

Speak Low -

I Got Rhythm -

A Night In Tunisia -

Cha Cha King -

I Wish I Were In Love Again -

Lover -

Mangolina -

April Rain -

* The Latin Jazz Quintet (United Artists UAL 4071, UAS 5071; Latin Jazz & Dance Records PLP 145)

perhaps it is less of a yawn.

Interesting - same name, completely different band. But pretty well contemporaneous with the Prestige session. Phil Diaz had been on an earlier (8 July) LJQ session with Shirley Scott. And Art Jenkins was on the LJQ's December 1960 and May 1961 sessions, so it wasn't entirely a bunch of people who had nothing to do with the band...

MG

Yeah, strange... I guess it isn't the most original name.

31XP7E9JRRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Eric Dolphy--Complete Prestige Recordings

Besides Dolphy, Jaki Byard and Freddie Hubbard on the first disc were a great combo I wasn't accustomed to. Now on bluesy disc 2 with the Oliver Nelson Sextet [Richard Williams (tp) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Oliver Nelson (as, ts) Richard Wyands (p) George Duvivier (b) Roy Haynes (d)]

Just finished up the great Makanda Looking Ahead session on disc 2 [Ken McIntyre (as, fl) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Walter Bishop Jr. (p) Sam Jones (b) Art Taylor (d)]. Now sinking my teeth into Dolphy's Out There on disc 3

Onto disc 4 with Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Big Band's Trane Whistle session!! [bob Bryant, Clark Terry, Richard Williams (tp) Jimmy Cleveland, Melba Liston (tb) Eric Dolphy (as) Oliver Nelson (as, ts, arr) Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (ts) George Barrow, Jerome Richardson (ts, fl) Bob Ashton (bars) Richard Wyands (p) Wendell Marshall (b) Roy Haynes (d) George Wilkins (arr) ]

Just through with the end of disc 4 Far Cry session [booker Little (tp -1,2,4/6) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl -1/7, as -8) Jaki Byard (p -1/7) Ron Carter (b -1/7) Roy Haynes (d -1/7)], which exhibited some virtuosity, but I'm more interested by the beginning of disc 5 Oliver Nelson/Eric Dolphy - Straight Ahead (New Jazz NJLP 8255; Fantasy OJC 099, OJCCD 099-2)

NP Disc 6--from Mal Waldron - The Quest (New Jazz NJLP 8269; Prestige PR 7579; Fantasy OJC 082, OJCCD 082-2)

NP Discs 7-8 at the Five Spot [booker Little (tp -1,2,4/11) Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Mal Waldron (p -1,2,4/11) Richard Davis (b -1,2,4/11) Ed Blackwell (d -1,2,4/11)] Great band.

"Five Spot Cafe", NYC, July 16, 1961

then finishing out the box set with the Eric Dolphy in Europe sessions from Copenhagen.

I didn't know the Latin Jazz Quintet made an album with Dolphy. Can't say I'm keen on him, but I might be interested in getting this separately, as I like the LJQ a lot. What's the original title and issue of this one, please?

MG

The Latin Jazz Quintet With Eric Dolphy

Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Carlie Simons (vib) Gene Casey (p) Bill Ellington (b) Manny Ramos (d, tim) Juan Amalbert (cga)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, August 19, 1960

2408 Sunday Go Meetin' New Jazz NJLP 8251

2409 First Bass Line -

2410 Mambo Ricci -

2411 Blues In 6/8 -

2412 Spring Is Here -

2413 Caribe -

* The Latin Jazz Quintet/Eric Dolphy - Caribe (New Jazz NJLP 8251; Fantasy OJCCD 819-2)

= Eric Dolphy - Caribe (Prestige MPP 2503)

For me, this session is a bit of a snoozer, though.

Well...

But thanks very much Zed.

MG

I noticed that there is another session of the Latin Jazz Quintet with Eric Dolphy that isn't included in the Dolphy Prestige box:

Latin Jazz Quintet With Eric Dolphy

Eric Dolphy (as, bcl, fl) Felipe Diaz (vib) Arthur Jenkins (p) Bobbie Rodriguez (b) Tommy Lopez (cga) Louis Ramirez (tim)

NYC, 1960-1961

You're The Cutest One United Artists UAL 4071

Speak Low -

I Got Rhythm -

A Night In Tunisia -

Cha Cha King -

I Wish I Were In Love Again -

Lover -

Mangolina -

April Rain -

* The Latin Jazz Quintet (United Artists UAL 4071, UAS 5071; Latin Jazz & Dance Records PLP 145)

perhaps it is less of a yawn.

It's not. What I mean is, both sessions are a yawn, in my opinion.

Finished the "Dig Ben" box by Ben Webster - great one!

Some beautiful short sessions on disc 6, the big band sides on disc 7, and on disc 8 the "No Fool No Fun" rehearsals (plus a lovely date with Jimmy Rowles - who shines on the Mulligan Meets Webster album, too!).

I also played disc 1 again, a terrific compilation (from three following nights) with Kenny Drew, NHOP and for once Albert Heath (usually it was Alex Riel who I think was nominally the leader of the trio). That's some of the best Webster I've heard on disc 1! Still I don't quite get why that session (from 1968) wasn't programmed in its place, as the box is more or less ordered chronologically. Also since they did do a box with their Webster sessions and they do mention that from these three nights in 1968 there are two hours of music, I don't see why they didn't include some more (and previously unreleased) music, as this is clearly one of the highlights!

51DMY4WB1XL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I know, they're evil, the packaging is so cheap it makes the Proper boxes look like Mosaics but the way my currency is getting the shit beaten out of it right now, they're about what remains in my a range

Yes, they're cheap and nasty, but for introducing you to a band to whom you might otherwise never get around, they're just the job.

MG

SfJazz Collective 2008 5th Annual Concert Tour... disc 2...

Eric Harland's composition "The Year 2008" is NICE! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I have all the sets... but this year's seems to be outstanding! Not to mention that they went back to the 3cd set format.... :D :D

Mmmm. Will look into that. I have the 2007 Monk one. Very nice, particularly the original compositions.

On those quadromania's, agree they're a great way to get a swift introduction to music you might not otherwise approach, but what are those symbols down the side of the covers meant to represent? :unsure:

SfJazz Collective 2008 5th Annual Concert Tour... disc 2...

Eric Harland's composition "The Year 2008" is NICE! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I have all the sets... but this year's seems to be outstanding! Not to mention that they went back to the 3cd set format.... :D :D

Mmmm. Will look into that. I have the 2007 Monk one. Very nice, particularly the original compositions.

On those quadromania's, agree they're a great way to get a swift introduction to music you might not otherwise approach, but what are those symbols down the side of the covers meant to represent? :unsure:

They're Japanese Kanji symbols. They're phonetic, so they spell something out. If you grab a Japanese import with sleeve notes, you can probably work, out from looking at the personnel and track titles, what each letter is supposed to sound like (watch out for "L" & "R" - I seem to remember that they leary ah levuhssed :))

You can do it while you're waiting for your Christmas dinner to digest :D

MG

They're Japanese Kanji symbols. They're phonetic, so they spell something out. If you grab a Japanese import with sleeve notes, you can probably work, out from looking at the personnel and track titles, what each letter is supposed to sound like (watch out for "L" & "R" - I seem to remember that they leary ah levuhssed :))

MG

Not Kanji MG but Katakana, the Japanese writing system used for foreign words and names.