Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cliff, this set has already exceeded my expectations. Really happy to have made the purchase. :tup

Same here, I bought it when I was going through a "Pepper Completist" phase, thinking I'll like it but not love it, but it really is excellent. I really enjoy the photo's in the booklet too, they're all wearing really nice "threads". :cool: :cool: :cool:

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Disc 7... I really enjoyed it... minus the awful announcing/interviewing by Steve Allen... :angry: :angry:

You couple that with his nonsense introducing Miles Davis on the Prestige set... YUCK! :wacko: :wacko:

I know he was a nice guy, funny and important bringing jazz to the public (during that era)... but blah.... :tdown

Up to Disc 6.....

Disc 2... Storyville's new boxed set Tatum Art

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/complete-fr...store-exclusive

$20 for all 3 sets.. A pretty good price if you ask me...

They were having a special when the CD came out and I got the additional sets for $15..... :excited: :excited:

It's KIND of a box set...

Set 3 of the (Download ONLY) Brad Mehldau Trio Live from Nonesuch.....

Very good for those of you didn't get it... I only wish they made it a physical CD set....

Where is it available ?

Edited by tranemonk

one i find very good, though i might have said it before, is the Complete Live at the Village Vanguard Bill Evans box. it features everything that was recorded on that day (5 sets!) with some titles repeated plus club chatter and some interludes. and it sounds great (3 CDs worth of K2s released originally in 2005).

it also has a booklet with an exhaustive text by Orrin Keepnews analyzing among other things why and how he recorded on that date, plus some unknown photos of the trio that day. and it features many classic Bill Evans tracks plus MIles' Solar. and the interplay of the trio is wonderful. it's as the text on the box says, "three men breathing as one".

Great set. Don't think they're K2 mastered discs though. They sound wonderful just as they are, but. .. not K2 I believe.

You are correct, Sir! As verified almost 3 years ago in this brilliant post :rolleyes: :

Just resuscitating this thread to share some information I just obtained about this set, in answer to a question that came up when the set first came out last year. I just spoke with Joe Tarantino, who is credited with the 2005 set's remastering, and he confirmed that this is, in fact, a new remastering, and not the 20-bit K2 remastering of the earlier Japanese box. I had suspected this after A-B'ing the new set with the 20-bit K2 versions of "Sunday At The Village Vanguard" and "Waltz For Debby". While there is much less tape hiss in the new set, the instruments have a more natural sound and greater presence than on the 20-bit K2s. Joe indicated that he thinks the remastering on the new set turned out very well, and I quite agree. :tup

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...st&p=521919