Horace Silver - The Jody Grind

Kyo

Hi there,

today I finally got my copy of Horace Silver's The Jody Grind - I've been meaning to order this album for years. My copy is officially used but looks perfect. Unfortunately it sounds terrible, there is clicking all over the left channel. I've tried the disc in a PC DVD drive and my CD changer at home and the problem was present on both. Is this a known issue? Did they ever replace copies of this album or is this problem present on all CDs available (I can't imagine, it really is quite annoying)?

Maybe I'll just have to return this one disc and get a replacement, but as I said - it does look good as new!

- Michael

Heh, maybe I should've looked a bit longer before posting the question. While I didn't

find anything on alt.music.blue-note, an organissimo search via google brought me to

the claim that the album is simply mastered from an LP - that would explain a lot.

I wonder why they didn't mention any of this anywhere in the liner notes.

That's strange - I'm just listening to my US manufactured CD from 1991: no clicks or signs that it was dubbed from LP. Michael Cuscuna usually admitted this when he had to use an LP for the source. No mention wahtsoever on the liner.

I'd say you have a defective copy. Could you post a link to your search result?

To quote from the thread you linked:

It's been revealed that "The Jody Grind" master tape is gone and that all CD releases have used an LP master tape (known in internet parlance as a "needle drop").

"It's been revealed" - where and by whom - is there no source to quote? I have pretty good ears and usually recognize a needle drop, but here ..... if so, it's a good one!

Kevin Bresnahan has proven to be a reliable source for all things Blue Note (including inside information)

over the years. Although of course he might just be confusing the album with something else.

I fear I'll have to return that disc to the seller after all. :(

Okay - at the end of track 4 during the piano cadenza I heard one light tick each left and right - but the "washy" sound one hears on the right channel comes from RVG's habit of closely miking the ride cymbal.

It's much more obvious than that with my copy. The first track about 13

seconds in is really bad for example (right when Horace hits that chord

going into the fifth bar). It sounds more like a digital flaw than an LP

source issue to me, but I'm far from an expert on such matters.

I know it sounds obvious, but have you tried cleaning the disc? I've encountered problems like that that have gone away after a light cleaning. But sometimes there are unseen digital flaws - in fact, I have a Mosaic Select disc that I need to return to them with that very problem.

Hi Guys,

I have the TOCJ-4250 from 1997 and I am listening through the first song. No clicks or anything resembling clicks on that one. The sound is rather dull though - not really up to this series usual standard....

/Shaft

Good luck with the returning procedure!

Thanks! I hope I'll hear back from the store (an amazon marketplace seller) soon.

Oh well, it's not like I suffer from lack of new music, quite the opposite actually. :)

everybody knows the jody grind was remastered from an lp source, not the original rvg master tape- this is because it was lost or stolen from the capitol temp-controlled archive room or perhaps even earlier during the liberty era. this also happened w/ sweet honey bee. do you think itll ever suface on ebay? how much would u pay for that!

Hi Guys,

I have the TOCJ-4250 from 1997 and I am listening through the first song. No clicks or anything resembling clicks on that one. The sound is rather dull though - not really up to this series usual standard....

/Shaft

I have the domestic version of this and "dull" seems to be a rather fitting description. Fortunately the musicians are anything but dull.

I don't know specifically about "The Jody Grind", but the Japanese master tape of "Sweet Honey Bee" is identical to the US master, clicks and all. When BN decided to do "Sweet Honey Bee" in the US RVG series, I told Cuscuna he had to get the Japanese master because everyone said it had no clicks. Maybe it wasn't a needle drop?

Well, according to Cuscuna, whoever did the mastering in Japan for their CD releases cleaned up the clicks. They were there. I assume this would be the same for "The Jody Grind".

FWIW, the needle drops are in the BN vaults and apprently have been for decades. I believe the Japanese masters were created in the late 70s-early 80s. If the Japanese dupes have the clicks, the switch had already been made.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Interesting. My 'domestic' CD from the late 80s certainly sounds a bit one dimensional and with noticeable distortion during some of the horn unison passages. The mono Liberty LP sounds 'OK' - although to be honest I don't think this was ever one of RVGs greater efforts.

Interesting. My 'domestic' CD from the late 80s certainly sounds a bit one dimensional and with noticeable distortion during some of the horn unison passages.

Yeah, I noticed the distortion as well.

Edited by Kyo

I don't know specifically about "The Jody Grind", but the Japanese master tape of "Sweet Honey Bee" is identical to the US master, clicks and all. When BN decided to do "Sweet Honey Bee" in the US RVG series, I told Cuscuna he had to get the Japanese master because everyone said it had no clicks. Maybe it wasn't a needle drop?

Well, according to Cuscuna, whoever did the mastering in Japan for their CD releases cleaned up the clicks. They were there. I assume this would be the same for "The Jody Grind".

FWIW, the needle drops are in the BN vaults and apprently have been for decades. I believe the Japanese masters were created in the late 70s-early 80s. If the Japanese dupes have the clicks, the switch had already been made.

Later,

Kevin

Thanks for the info - do you know about other Blue Notes that had to be dubbed from LP for the CD reissues?