Johnny Griffin & Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

sal

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt the recordings at Minton's.

Live at Minton's - First Set has a number of Monk compositions which probably makes it number one on my list. But the Breakfast Show, Late Show, and Midnight Show are all superior.

its really tough to go wrong with Lock and Griff (although I'd definitely start with the original recordings and not worry so much about the later "reunion" dates).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's all great (as in great). Buy'em all and love'em forever (and I do mean forever)

But....

When Desert Island Time comes, this is the one I'm taking with me, and unhesitatingly so.

DSC00590.JPG

I'm even extracting it out of the OJC tw-fer w/the same cover just to have it all by itself.

Because it is that good.

If "Hey Lock" isn't the greatest recorded example of TenorTandemOrgasm in the history of the this or any other world, then I'm a ring-tailed monkey with the cobbity chop.

And I'm not.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, it looks as if "Lookin' at Monk" and "Griff & Lock" are out of print. The Minton's first set and the Tenor Scene albums are availiable, so I'll be grabbing them soon as I can, before they become extinct as well.

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, it looks as if "Lookin' at Monk" and "Griff & Lock" are out of print. The Minton's first set and the Tenor Scene albums are availiable, so I'll be grabbing them soon as I can, before they become extinct as well.

I would think that the two OOP titles would be easily attainable through Amazon Marketplace.

All the Jaws and Griffin sides are good. If forced to choose, I would probably pick these two CDs.

Tough Tenor Favorites - Jazzland OJC

Blues Up And Down - Milestone

(Includes two Jazzland LPs that were originally issued as "Blues Up and Down", and "Griff & Lock".)

Yes........"Blues Up and Down" is the one to get.

(I'm listening to it NOW!) :cool:

FWIW, eMusic has just about all of these.

I just picked up "Lookin' At Monk" from Hiroshi. It was just reissued in that very inexperience series last month. Even with shipping, it's around $10. The sound is very good too.

Dan is right - It IS really tough to go wrong with Lock and Griff

Here's another to add to those already posted. I like it a lot.

296642.jpg

You want to know something? I almost didn't buy this because Morton & Cook bashed it in the Penguin guide. They gave it something like 2 1/2 stars and dinged for Griff & Lock going all out on every tune. Imagine my surprise when I played it and found two ballads and 3 other tunes taken at the same tempo Monk used! There is only one screamer, and that was the opening tune.

Did the Penguin guys even listen to this CD?

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

To repeat - Griff & Lock is included as 1/2 of Blues Up and Down.

It's not jsut the solos on that one that make it my favorite. It's the way the heads get played. Possibly the tightest and most idyosyncratic of such of the lot, and that makes a big difference to me.

Carpe diem.

If they did, it wouldn't matter much. Clearly, they dislike this type of jazz as a rule, and give out ratings for it based on the wrong criteria.

I'd agree with that John, except for the fact that they seem to like the sessions when they're listed as Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin. The three titles listed under Eddie's name get 4, 3 1/2 and 3 1/2 stars. Flip to the two titles listed under Johnny's name, "Lookin' At Monk" and " Tough Tenor Favorites", and the ratings drop to 2 1/2 each. Do they jusy not like Griff?

Later,

Kevin

If they did, it wouldn't matter much. Clearly, they dislike this type of jazz as a rule, and give out ratings for it based on the wrong criteria.

I'd agree with that John, except for the fact that they seem to like the sessions when they're listed as Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin. The three titles listed under Eddie's name get 4, 3 1/2 and 3 1/2 stars. Flip to the two titles listed under Johnny's name, "Lookin' At Monk" and " Tough Tenor Favorites", and the ratings drop to 2 1/2 each. Do they jusy not like Griff?

Later,

Kevin

Kevin: I haven't looked at a recent edition of the Guide in some time. From past versions, I got the impression that they don't like the Griff & Lockjaw stuff much in general, but they still feel obliged in the interest of objectivity to give out nontrivial relative ratings that don't trash everything. As for other hard bop and soul jazz, the relative ratings tend to reflect the degree to which the recordings are perceived to "transcend the limited genre," as opposed to being good examples of the genre itself, i.e. a blues number will receive higher marks not for good blues playing, but for some sort of arrangement that adds complexity "beyond" the blues.

I seem to recall that earlier versions of the Guide gave virtually no four star ratings to these type of records. Then they gave in to criticism and felt obliged to increase the number of stars for some of them. But that didn't make the guide more informative. On the contrary.

Edited by John L