Johnny Griffin & Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

sal

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for OT inquiry (this seems like the best candidate of existing threads), but does anyone have an opinion on Johnny Griffin's Argo release JG, with Ware and Mance? I just saw a (new release?) mid-price CD, and am considering it. I so far have only two Blue Notes, A Blowing Session (which I dig), and The Congregation (which didn't do much for me, despite my Sonny Clark obsession), and had been planning to try some Riversides next.

Sorry for OT inquiry (this seems like the best candidate of existing threads), but does anyone have an opinion on Johnny Griffin's Argo release JG, with Ware and Mance? I just saw a (new release?) mid-price CD, and am considering it. I so far have only two Blue Notes, A Blowing Session (which I dig), and The Congregation (which didn't do much for me, despite my Sonny Clark obsession), and had been planning to try some Riversides next.

JG is really nice, i can connect more strongly to it than to The Congregation which (slightly) underwhelmed me as well;

i think of the Riversides i have, i like Kerry Dancers and especially Grab this (with organ) better than JG, and the one with French Horn, whose name just escapes me about the same as JG (although it is very different)

JG is really nice, i can connect more strongly to it than to The Congregation which (slightly) underwhelmed me as well;

i think of the Riversides i have, i like Kerry Dancers and especially Grab this (with organ) better than JG, and the one with French Horn, whose name just escapes me about the same as JG (although it is very different)

Didn't know this had been reissued recently. Is it a US or European issue?

MG

Personally, before getting J.G., I would suggest picking up these 3 Riverside CDs.

The Little Giant (with Blue Mitchell, Julian Priester, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones, Tootie Heath)

Johnny Griffin Sextet (with Donald Byrd, Pepper Adams, Kenny Drew, Wilbur Ware, Philly Joe Jones)

Way Out (with Kenny Drew, Wilbur Ware, Philly Joe Jones)

how is "gemini"? i guess no one cares for it? no i mean "pisces"...g_d i am an idiot.

pisces: iirc it's a sequence of quartets with only one tenor playing on each track and it is mostly ballads (and on the 4 Lockjaw quartets Horace Parlan plays celeste) so it is a little odd concept, but some of the tracks are really nice (the title track with Griffin for instance)

how is "gemini"? i guess no one cares for it? no i mean "pisces"...g_d i am an idiot.

pisces: iirc it's a sequence of quartets with only one tenor playing on each track and it is mostly ballads (and on the 4 Lockjaw quartets Horace Parlan plays celeste) so it is a little odd concept, but some of the tracks are really nice (the title track with Griffin for instance)

Yes, I agree. I like it.

MG

Guest donald petersen

shalame-not a team-up but i just bought eddie davis' "the heavy hitter" and it has a pretty cool concept-all two song medlies....and a sweet band w. victor lewis and al dailey (this is a 1979 date). i'm enjoying it a lot. didn't realize it was a "concept" album until i started listening.

shalame-not a team-up but i just bought eddie davis' "the heavy hitter" and it has a pretty cool concept-all two song medlies....and a sweet band w. victor lewis and al dailey (this is a 1979 date). i'm enjoying it a lot. didn't realize it was a "concept" album until i started listening.

yup, good one! one of the few ok 32jazz covers, too... (or just fitting, not really good per se):

HeavyHitter_125.jpg

Can be found cheaply on US Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest donald petersen

Pardon me if I missed it, but any comments on the Griffin/Davis album Pisces?

yeah i just asked about it like 5 posts ago and got responses...why didn't you look before you asked?

Pisces is a nice change of pace date, but you should hunt down all the other ones first. I'm glad I have it, but it's my least favorite of the Griff/Lock albums.

Dually noted. That seems to be the consnsus.

:g you're now ready to inform us about the contents of this thread, it seems

Pisces is a nice change of pace date, but you should hunt down all the other ones first. I'm glad I have it, but it's my least favorite of the Griff/Lock albums.

Dually noted. That seems to be the consnsus.

:g you're now ready to inform us about the contents of this thread, it seems

Thread? What thread?