New Monk bio in progress by Robin Kelley

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More comments on a basically enjoyable book.

page 333- the author says that "Thelonious made sure he played tunes from the album [Monk's Dream - Columbia] 'Criss Cross'..." except that to my knowledge Criss Cross is not on that album.

page 368- the author has little good to say about the album "Live At the Jazz Workshop" and I quote "although the greater mystery is why Columbia released these recordings in the first place." - but it is on the author's list of "Selected Recordings" at the end of the book.

one thing in the book that I have been meaning to email Kelley about is in re: the Monk performance at Central Park, opening for Miles Davis (1969? Can't remember). Kelley reports, from an interview, that Monk played well, but I was there and he was practically comatose, hardly played a complete solo.

one thing in the book that I have been meaning to email Kelley about is in re: the Monk performance at Central Park, opening for Miles Davis (1969? Can't remember). Kelley reports, from an interview, that Monk played well, but I was there and he was practically comatose, hardly played a complete solo.

yes Allen,it was Central Park opening for Miles in '69 -I read that part too. The interview is from Monk's sister-in-law Evelyn (Skippy) - so maybe she is biased?

I note that the book is filled with descriptions of awful Monk performances in the 50s and 60s, sounded like if you went to see him it was a real crapshoot

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Reading this now. I like it. It's a little too detail-oriented for my taste about Monk's early life, but I'm glad that info is there. Looking forward to later chapters.

One part that made me chuckle was Monk's high school essay on improvements in stove technology. "Oh, happy survivors."

Edited by Guy

• 4 months later...

was reminded of this thread when i saw this today:

Click this for full interview w/ Robin Kelley on the BDS movement, solidarity, etc...

excerpts:

I am a professor of American history at UCLA, and for the last 25 years really, my work has focused on social movements, the African diaspora, radical change, and--it’s sort of a side issue--but I’ve also written about music.

The point I’m trying to make is, the issue of Palestinian self-determination is not a new one. It always sort of rebirths (laughs), but it’s not a new one. And so for people of my generation, the Israel-South Africa nexus, dispossession of Palestinians--even back in the days when people talked seriously about the two-state solution, whatever that is--these were the key questions for anyone politically active in the 1980s.

We went to Hebron, and visited and talked to Palestinian merchants, and witnessed a level of racist violence that I hadn’t even seen growing up as a black person here in the States (laughs), I have to say, and I’ve been beat by the cops. The level of racist violence from the settlers is kind of astounding.

So we’re supporting that movement, and recognizing that what’s happening there is not exceptional, but rather part of a larger global process of late colonialism and neoliberalism, and that what happens in Palestine is going to have an impact on the rest of the world.

I’m very proud to be part of this movement, and very proud to have made the connections I’ve made with a group of Palestinian scholars and intellectuals who I think are just some of the greatest minds on the globe right now. These are people who I think the world of, and I would do anything to support the struggle.

was reminded of this thread when i saw this today:

Click this for full interview w/ Robin Kelley on the BDS movement, solidarity, etc...

excerpts:

I am a professor of American history at UCLA, and for the last 25 years really, my work has focused on social movements, the African diaspora, radical change, and--its sort of a side issue--but Ive also written about music.

The point Im trying to make is, the issue of Palestinian self-determination is not a new one. It always sort of rebirths (laughs), but its not a new one. And so for people of my generation, the Israel-South Africa nexus, dispossession of Palestinians--even back in the days when people talked seriously about the two-state solution, whatever that is--these were the key questions for anyone politically active in the 1980s.

We went to Hebron, and visited and talked to Palestinian merchants, and witnessed a level of racist violence that I hadnt even seen growing up as a black person here in the States (laughs), I have to say, and Ive been beat by the cops. The level of racist violence from the settlers is kind of astounding.

So were supporting that movement, and recognizing that whats happening there is not exceptional, but rather part of a larger global process of late colonialism and neoliberalism, and that what happens in Palestine is going to have an impact on the rest of the world.

Im very proud to be part of this movement, and very proud to have made the connections Ive made with a group of Palestinian scholars and intellectuals who I think are just some of the greatest minds on the globe right now. These are people who I think the world of, and I would do anything to support the struggle.

Why don't you start a personal dialog with the guy and tell him you were offended? His email must be public. He might respond and engage you and concede some ponts. He's obviously thoughtful. I'm not taking sides. He wrote about his experience. Your perceptions are different. Malcolm X visited the Mideast and got an eye-opener of a different sort. Anyway, you might end up having a productive dialog w/Mr. Kelly. You're both thoughtful people. Just a suggestion.... Edited by fasstrack

• 10 years later...

Kelley's CV isn't exactly filled with scholarly tomes about jazz or jazz musicians outside of the Monk book, as far as I know. It is filled with radical Marxist and other beliefs/assertions highly typical of today's "higher" education. 

It's a minor miracle that his regular work didn't overwhelm the deep scholarship of the Monk book.

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

According to the LA Times a book by Kelley was cited as one of the reasons for Florida banning AP African American studies.  (I realize that this may be deemed political but I would think it is of interest to most readers on this board.) 

Incredible. I gotta read his work now, especially the Monk. 

I read the book and it was quite interesting to have all his musical live documented so well. I think I was less atent at the whole family stuff, who was who´s cousin or what, and I didn´t notice something political, but must admit that politics never was my strong point. I had to smile when I once did read an interview Valeria Vilmer with Monk where she want´s to urge him into some political statements and how hip is his reactions...