September 2nd RVGs

Soul Stream

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to put this delicately... :unsure:

OMFG!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink::excited::excited::excited: "Mode for Joe" is THE Joe Henderson album to get, of all time.

You need to start camping out right now, right outside on the steps of your favorite shiny-disc emporium, so you can be the very first one in line to get "Mode For Joe" when the store first opens, when it comes out on Tuesday.

It is TOTALLY "the shit", in the very best sense of the word.

Do not hesitate, not even for half a nanosecond, to pick this one up. In my book, "Mode For Joe" is probably one of the 10 best Blue Note albums ever released.

:w:party::tup:bwallace::rhappy: B) :g :rsmile: :P:)

I can't believe I beat Rooster to this one! (EDIT: Obviously my slow typing allowed RT to achieve posting superiority once again) I think MFJ is his favorite Blue Note.

Well, actually, it rates very high on my list, too. Great playing by all, VERY interesting tunes and great arrangements. There are some typical Joe (and Lee)solo moments that make me laugh, they're so good. I will buy this one as soon as it's available- IMHO the original sound wasn't bad, but I'll be curious to see if the RVG treatment is an improvement. Isn't Lee's Search For The New Land on this list as well? That's another I'll be getting. Man, I am so hooked......

Really though, SS, I can't recommend this one highly enough and I'll be surprised if anyone else posts otherwise. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! (....sorry I blew up...) ;)

Edited by Free For All

Ahhhh. I hate when you guys sit on the fence about these things. ;)

Glad to hear all the good things. It'll be first on my list.

Also, I hate to mention it....but what about "Inner Urge," still never picked that one up either, but just ordered it from half.com I've got all his other BNs except those two.

By the way, the Blue Note site has all the Sept. 2nd RVGs listed on the home page now.

They are...

Bud Powell "The Scene Changes"

Lee Morgan "Search For The New Land"

Joe Henderson "Mode for Joe."

...and I forget the other 2...damn :wacko:

"Inner Urge" is a close second for me, just behind "Mode For Joe". Simply stunning, in all respects. The three Henderson tunes are amazing, and everyone is playing right at the top of their game.

Put it this way, I think "Inner Urge" is every bit as good as any and all of Wayne Shorter's "sax plus piano trio" recordings on BN in the 60's, and it don't get any better than that!!

Put it this way, I think "Inner Urge" is every bit as good as any and all of Wayne Shorter's "sax plus piano trio" recordings on BN in the 60's, and it don't get any better than that!!

Considering that includes my faves JuJu, Etcetera and Adam's Apple, that is indeed high praise, oh great feathered one.......

Other than the song "Morgan the Pirate", the "Search for.." has never been one to float my boat (Taru stinks too!). 

I really hope you're wrong! I've already pre-ordered SFTNL. I've never heard it, but after reading so much about it on the boards and in books over the years, I had the impression that it was THE Lee Morgan recording to have.

Good question SS. I've never heard any Joe that sounded less than fully realized. What's the earliest Joe anyone's heard?

Far as I know, his first time on record was on Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas" (April 1st, 1963), followed shortly by Grant Green's "Am I Blue" (May 16th, 1963), and Joe's own "Page One" (June 3rd, 1963).

Anybody know of any Joe on record any earlier than "Una Mas"???

I don't think there is any.

Other than the song "Morgan the Pirate", the "Search for.." has never been one to float my boat (Taru stinks too!).  

I really hope you're wrong! I've already pre-ordered SFTNL. I've never heard it, but after reading so much about it on the boards and in books over the years, I had the impression that it was THE Lee Morgan recording to have.

Don't worry John. I'm a fan of SFTNL too, and will be picking up the RVG next week. If you give it half a chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

An excellent interview too, I might add. I had seen this before, and was glad you reminded me of it. Lot's of good food-for-thought.