September 2nd RVGs

Soul Stream

Other than the song "Morgan the Pirate", the "Search for.." has never been one to float my boat (Taru stinks too!).  

I really hope you're wrong! I've already pre-ordered SFTNL. I've never heard it, but after reading so much about it on the boards and in books over the years, I had the impression that it was THE Lee Morgan recording to have.

:angry: Blasphemy! Man don't let anyone tell you SFTNL is anything less than sacred!

P.S. The other BN reseases are ADAM'S APPLE, LET FREEDOM RING, and THE SCENE CHANGES.

:g:g:g:g:g

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, SFTNL is an indication of how mature and amazing Lee Morgan was going to be before the success of The Sidewinder sidetracked him. I love his stuff, and have almost everything, but I really think that the period between SFTNL and the Lighthouse set is full of discs that, although well performed, just didn't reach high enough for a man of Lee's talents. SFTNL reaches, and hits.

I see on Joe's AMG discography a listing for something on Capitol called You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To from 1962. No other info- anyone know what this is?

Some other guy named Joe Henderson - not the same guy. (The guy in 1962 is a singer, if I remember right.)

Can't remember the details, but Sangry and others here are in the know.

Another vote for "Mode For Joe". This has been a firm favorite since I got an LP of it in the late 60s. The LP was stolen and I replaced it. The TOCJ CD sounds great. I'm afraid that the cover always makes me sad, though, considering that Joe died of emphysemia.

This album has a dream lineup, and it's not a standard hard bop instrumentation. The arrangements are superb, all the solos are excellent and the session just "clicked" from the start. The title track has a haunting atmosphere that is just unforgettable. My favorite part of it is the quiet bit where Ron Carter plays a rare solo, with gentle riffs played behind him.

The Bud is also a winner, as are all of his BN sessions. If you get it, you will be able to make up an RVG version of the box set, with the exception of the Roost items. I have already done this (for personal use only), using a TOCJ for this RVG-to-be. I guess this might not be easy if the new CD has that attempt at copy protection added to it. My favorite track: "Comin' Up".

I would like to have heard Bud with both Paul Chambers and Philly Joe, but it didn't happen. Art Taylor makes an excellent substitute, though. I have really grown to like Art over the years, which is just as well, as he is on so many sessions.

Speaking of ordering....where's the best, CHEAPEST and FASTEST online site for the new RVGs?  I would like to see $8.98 with free shipping. :D

CDUniverse ($8.39, but you have to pay shipping) is about the best I've seen. Anyone ever check out a site called Overstock.com? I've found some decent deals there from time to time.

I wondered if anyone can speak for "Mode For Joe." The AMG has a very skimpy review. I'd like to hear some board members opinions. I've never heard it.

Looks like you've been told already, SS, but since you and I seemingly have similar tastes, I tell you: "Mode For Joe" is ESSENTIAL!!! Simple as that. I'll be upgrading my copy.

Yeah, same goes for me and Search. The rest I will be hearing for the first time.

Also, Soul Stream wonders how GG fits in on Search...just like on anything else, he fits in just fine. I love his fills in the title tune. Like I said before, the whole set just sparkles from start to finish!

I've got them all already but am just a complete sucker for the revisions... soon will be putting in my order with CD Universe.

If you buy all 5 of them, they'll be priority shipped for (I think) $6.99 - CD Universe charges the same price for shipping on 5 up to 10 discs (and it doesn't cost any more than regular shipping!!). I also want to get some other stuff so I'll get shipping down under $1/disc. And as a California resident, no sales tax (a loophole they'll probably close some day soon)...

Hard to be disappointed with any of these titles performance-wise! :)

Just ordered them all from CD Universe. Have never ordered from them before. I wonder when I will get them if they come out tuesday?

Anyway, last time I goofed around and ended up paying 12.99 about every 4 or 5 days for another new RVG... no savings that way. The local tower quit selling them for 9.99 or 8.99 like they used to so, so they won't be getting my business anymore.

Edited by Soul Stream

How does Grant fit in on this session. Looking from the lineup...Herbie, Wayne, ect. Grant seems the odd man out.

He fits in just fine. I seem to remember that, in the liner notes, the writer mentions something about how Grant's solos were somewhat different in a larger group setting (than, say, in his organ trios). Definitely not the odd man out.

Just picked up "Mode for Joe". (Free For All - if you're still lookin' for one, I think I got the last one at Streetside.)

Sound is excellent, to my ears - but I've got not the most impressive stereo equipment (an understatement, if ever there was one).

Haven't A/B compared it to the prior U.S. CD issue yet, and now that I think of it - I think I gave away my old "Mode..." CD to a buddy of mine a couple months ago, since I knew the RVG was coming out soon.

Just picked up "Mode for Joe".  (Free For All - if you're still lookin' for one, I think I got the last one at Streetside.)

Don't worry, RT, I was there early today. I snatched MFJ, SFTNL and AA right out of the stocker's hand! :g

P.S.- I like your latest avatar. Great side!

Edited by Free For All

Thanks to the KC contingent for snapping up all available local copies of MFJ while I was out of town today ;)

Maybe I can pay $18.99 at Borders :rolleyes:

Anyway, not to pile on, but this is a wonderful session. There are a couple of Lee Morgan solos which are waaaaay intense.

Eric

Maybe I can pay $18.99 at Borders  :rolleyes:

Borders has 'em for the same price as Streetside- $11.99. I called Borders to check if the RVGs were out yet(and they were). Sometimes Borders is PAINFULLY slow at getting the product on the shelves! I ended up going to Streetside anyway, so they're around, dude! ;)

Edited by Free For All

David Rosenthal raves about MODE FOR JOE in HARD BOP. I've got the old issue, but I'll be tempted to go for the RVG if the upgrade is noticeably better--it is a classic BN album.

Yes, I remember David R. raving about Lee on "Carabbean Fire Dance." Saying he pretty much made all the other players, pretty "bad" cats themselves, sound like wuses. :)

Can't wait to get it.

Yes, I remember David R. raving about Lee on "Carabbean Fire Dance."  Saying he pretty much made all the other players, pretty "bad" cats themselves, sound like wuses. :)

Yeah, Lee's entrance on his solo on CFD pretty much makes my chops bleed by just listening to it. :o

And I believe it's "wusses", AKA "wussies", sir. :)

Edited by Free For All

Yes, I remember David R. raving about Lee on "Carabbean Fire Dance."  Saying he pretty much made all the other players, pretty "bad" cats themselves, sound like wuses. :)

Yeah, Lee's entrance on his solo on CFD pretty much makes my chops bleed by just listening to it. :o

And I believe it's "wusses", AKA "wussies", sir. :)

Yes, I questioned my spelling of "wusses" the moment I logged off. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'm missing something; I always thought 'Mode for Joe' was Joe's least enjoyable BN album. I would say that 'In 'n Out' is the one I'm digging the most, with 'Our Thing' and 'Page One' just a notch behind. (Anyone else who thinks Joe and Kenny were one of the best tenor-trumpet matches ever?)

How should I approach 'Mode for Joe' to really get into it? By throwing away my McMaster and giving it a fresh start with the new RVG? I must admit that the sound on the old CD always has been a letdown for me.

David Rosenthal raves about MODE FOR JOE in HARD BOP. I've got the old issue, but I'll be tempted to go for the RVG if the upgrade is noticeably better--it is a classic BN album.

I picked up Mode For Joe last night. This reissue has restored my faith in the RVG program. The sound is OUT OF THIS WORLD! I've always felt that Joe Chambers was the driving force behind this date, and the RVG just solidifies that feeling. Every flam, kick, and rimshot is crystal clear and thunderous. As for other aspects of the RVG, the stereo seperation is great, and the overall sound is powerful without distorting. All in all, a fantastic improvement.

Also, I can finally hear what Curtis Fuller is playing during the head on "Caribbean Fire Dance"! To me, he sounded a bit off-mic on the earlier domestic issue.

I'm sure I'm missing something; I always thought 'Mode for Joe' was Joe's least enjoyable BN album. I would say that 'In 'n Out' is the one I'm digging the most, with 'Our Thing' and 'Page One' just a notch behind. (Anyone else who thinks Joe and Kenny were one of the best tenor-trumpet matches ever?)

How should I approach 'Mode for Joe' to really get into it? By throwing away my McMaster and giving it a fresh start with the new RVG? I must admit that the sound on the old CD always has been a letdown for me.

Daniel A-

Buying the RVG may be a good start. I've been waiting for a remaster of this one, as it's not only my favorite Joe Henderson session, it's one of my favorite BN releases form the 1960s.

What attracted me to this date originally was the apparent attention to detail in the arrangements, especially on "Mode For Joe", "Caribbean Fire Dance", and "A Shade of Jade"---and add Joe Chambers slammin' up a storm, doing all these polyrythmic accents and one can see that this is not your average moody hard bop session! Great solos by Joe and Mogie (especially Lee's "elephant" sounds in the "Fire Dance" solo, as mentioned by others above).

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but how is that book, GofM? I've seen it at stores a couple of times but never really felt compelled to pick it up, for one reason or another.

I think I'll pick up MODE FOR JOE as well as ADAM'S APPLE (which is one I've held off buying many times - not sure how, but I resisted the urge to get the McMastered edition). Hopefully it'll be worth the wait.