Chronological Classics next batch

FrancoisD

Looking forward to see more of the Classics series! Would be great to get new releases as well. Wonder if the Blues & Rhythm series will be revived too?

I was wondering that myself, but some of their latter releases were pretty obscure. Maybe they've run out of good material?

MG

Good point.

But if you combine their Blues & Rhythm series with the reissue series on BLUE MOON you've got pretty good coverage of those who aren't already covered by major R&B reissues/reissue labels elsewhere. Though I agree that some gaps seem to remain wherever you look and some artists (who probably weren't THAT obscure back then) seem to be passed by everywhere.

names or it didn't happen

Well, to give you an example, one 40s R&B artist who comes to mind is

BILL JOHNSON (vocals/sax)

who recorded a fair amount of tracks with his band (Bill Johnson & His Musical Notes) for RCA Victor in 1947 (plus a few for various indies before and after) - enough to fill one CD to the brim (and possibly more).

It's a relatively nondescript artist name (that doesn't immediately remain etched in your memory) for sure, but I'd say he'd rank pretty well alongside Chris Powell, Bil Samuels, Felix Gross or Marvin Johnson etc. in the above mentioned "diehard collectors'" reissue series. And if he managed to wax 20 or more tracks for a major at that time he cannot have been a total flash in the pan.

I've only come across the occasional track by him on R&B/Jump Blues compilations and liked them but am not aware of any comprehensive reissues of his recorded output (though I'll be glad to be proven wrong ;)).

Also found on Amazon, release date January 29:

Ethel Waters 1929-1931

James P. Johnson 1938-1942

James P. Johnson 1921-1928

Ethel Waters 1921-1923

James P. Johnson 1943-1944

John Kirby 1939-1941

James P. Johnson 1944 vol. 2

Or better yet, use the Amazon click through function to aid Organissimo.

Are any of these releases essential?

On most of these, the prices now on Amazon are crazy. Perhaps they didn't actually come out?

Ethel Waters 1929-1931

Ethel Waters 1921-1923

John Kirby 1939-1941

On most of these, the prices now on Amazon are crazy. Perhaps they didn't actually come out?

They are real I got them all. Bought them new when they came out for about €13,- a piece :smirk:

Ethel Waters 1929-1931

Ethel Waters 1921-1923

John Kirby 1939-1941

They are real I got them all. Bought them new when they came out for about €13,- a piece :smirk:

You bought them new in the last week or so?

Have yet to see any of those re-releases in the Paris shops....

They don't look like upcoming releases on amazon.fr either ... just the usual marketplace offers which are there on the US site, but on the US site you get a future release date, which you don't on the French. Weird. But it would of course be terrific if the series was revived!

• 4 weeks later...

just got an e-mail from Worldsrecords. It's going out of business :( .

This is in the mail about Classics:

Another label that we have not offered from many years, Classics Chronological Collections, are available once again. These CDs were first offered in batches of 5 per month over an incredible 15 year period. Over 765 titles were originally produced in France. Now an ambitious project has resurfaced with the intention to bring back as many of the original titles as sales warrant. The plan is to present all releases by an artist at one time (or in the case of an artist like Duke Ellington who had 45 CDs, in several batches). For instance the early artist reissues are by Ethel Waters (7 of the 8 CDs), James P. Johnson (8 titles), The Three Peppers (1 CD), etc.. These CDs are manufactured in the United States.

Edited by Stompy Jones

Another label that we have not offered from many years, Classics Chronological Collections, are available once again. These CDs were first offered in batches of 5 per month over an incredible 15 year period. Over 765 titles were originally produced in France. Now an ambitious project has resurfaced with the intention to bring back as many of the original titles as sales warrant. The plan is to present all releases by an artist at one time (or in the case of an artist like Duke Ellington who had 45 CDs, in several batches). For instance the early artist reissues are by Ethel Waters (7 of the 8 CDs), James P. Johnson (8 titles), The Three Peppers (1 CD), etc.. These CDs are manufactured in the United States.

Interesting to see what hapens if they really try to revive most of the 765 items, and possibly a good opportunity to act fast and grab the ones you missed the first time around and realize NOw that yu want them.

BUT - any word on where they will be available except from Worlds Records? Because it does sound odd to start such an ambitious project if you are all set on closing down. And it might not the that worthwhile cost-wise for non-US buyers to have to order them from the US.

Interesting to see what hapens if they really try to revive most of the 765 items, and possibly a good opportunity to act fast and grab the ones you missed the first time around and realize NOw that yu want them.

BUT - any word on where they will be available except from Worlds Records? Because it does sound odd to start such an ambitious project if you are all set on closing down. And it might not the that worthwhile cost-wise for non-US buyers to have to order them from the US.

Worlds Records was a distributor of many European labels. I think it's possible they are closing down their storefront but still distributing.

Can anyone actually tell me who it is that is reviving the Classics label? And are they selling their discs anywhere or don't they even try?

I see amazon.com has plenty of these assumedly available again titles with release dates in late January, but none are actually available there, and Worlds Records isn't an option for more than a moment, alas ... (they were too expensive for me, mostly, but I did order from them a couple of times).

• 1 month later...