Sport: 2007 NBA Play-Offs Pool

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 6 is gonna be a hellluva lot tougher for them than this one was, unless the ice water in the Warriors phsyce-veins has begun to melt, which I saw signs of being the case.

How cold is Nellie's deep-freeze?

That's an important question, to which I suspect nobody really knows the answer (yet). Everybody who really knows (players and ex-players) generally agree that getting that 4th win to close a team out is the toughest win of all, and I think for a relatively young team to do that on their opponent's court was a bit too tall an order for Nellie's bunch of "schmoes". I think the W's will still be confident tomorrow night, but whether they can execute the way they did in producing last night's 30-point turnaround is something that remains to be seen. I think the Mavs have to feel pretty good about their chances now.

The whole Jason Terry thing is a little puzzling and a bit disturbing. The punishments don't seem to be lining up real clearly with the crimes. In this day and age, the whole discipline of refereeing a basketball game (and this applies to the NCAA as well) has gone haywire. Compare the contact Baron made on his sixth foul with the contact Dirk and Diop made with Barnes and Harrington (or Biedrins) after every Mav free throw down the stretch. I thought the refs blew a couple of those calls where the ball was given to Dallas after they missed a FT and the ball ended up going out of bounds in the chaos that ensued. So, I watched it on tape after the game, and couldn't help noticing that Dirk nearly took Matt Barnes' head off when he was going for those rebounds. It was all Barnes could do to remain standing, let alone trying to rebound the ball. I know that assault and battery in the paint is relatively routine now, but it's complete bullshit that that's not a foul, and Baron's contact was. The spirit of the rules could use some close analysis, imo.

I think the W's will still be confident tomorrow night, but whether they can execute the way they did in producing last night's 30-point turnaround is something that remains to be seen.

That whole confidence/execution mental/physical dynamic/interaction is what makes watching playoff sports so interesting to me. Say what you want to about "athletics" and all that (pro or con), but the whole thing about being able to do what you think you know you can do when you need to do it, hell, that's life in a nutshell right there.

I'm not watching the game, but from yahoo sports it looks like Lamar Odom is almost single-handedly keeping the Lakers' playoff chances alive.

edit: 2:05 left, Lakers not dead yet. Kobe putting in an Iverson-esque performance -- 34 pts on 13-33 shooting.

Farmar's been solid tonight.

edit2: OK, now they're dead. Props to Lamar Odom for putting in a monster game.

I hope the Suns can beat the Spurs... but I'm not optimistic.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Lakers go down with a scarcely a wimper. Even the zebras couldn't make it exciting. Kobe with a shitty game. I'm more relieved than anything, I don't have to watch them until next season.

Edited by Noj

The warriors better win tonight or they will lose in game # 7...

You are probably right.

Good news for W fans: JRich will not be suspended for his "interaction" with a fan in game 5. $35,000 fine.

i'm starting to like amare's game

One thing to look forward to in a Suns-Pistons final (unlikely to happen, I'll admit) is Amare posterizing Chris Webber multiple times each game. :excited:

Guy

When I turned the game off in the third quarter, the W's had amassed a 19-point lead.

More power to 'em. I hope Donnie goes all the way.

Sangrey, I humbly and reluctantly admit you were right all along: the Mavs are GUTLESS. There is no other way to describe them. This was their season, and they cratered. I doubt we'll ever see this bunch in the playoffs ever again, and deservedly so. This season, AFAIC, will go down as THE worst season ever, even worse than those years when they were winning only 9-10 games.

Way to go there, Nogutzki. Enjoy that MVP trophy. :bad:

(Of course, this is all gonna look pretty silly if I open up the paper tomorrow to find that the Mavs staged the most miraculous comeback ever)

Nowitzki may have played the worst game imaginable with a season on the line like that. Cuban might need to trade him.

Crazy.

As a Pistons fan, seeing Mavs and Heat go out in the first round certainly helps. Hopefully someone can knock off the Spurs and Suns while we are at it.

WOW.

When Baron went out with the hamstring injury, I was worried.

When Baron came back and hobbled on the court like a gimpy garden gnome, I was REALLY worried.

Then the second half happened.

I AM SO PSYCHED!

Props to Stephen Jackson's insane performance from beyond the arc (nice response to that bullshit ejection) and Baron's most-valuable-cripple playing. Nice play by Barnes (16 pts, 11 reb), Biedrins and JRich. Hopefully Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Harrington) will play better next series.

Also, I was very happy to see Adonal Foyle come in late in the game. A little short on talent, but that guy has been suffering longer than anybody on the team. Or at least as much as you can suffer while making $6M a year. :crazy:

Guy

Edited by Guy

Nowitzki may have played the worst game imaginable with a season on the line like that. Cuban might need to trade him.

Basketball is a team game. The Warriors took Nowitzki away by doubling and tripling him, and he couldn't find a rhythm as a result. I know he could have shot better when he did get open looks, and he has to carry a big share of the blame, but I feel sorry for him in terms of being singled out. He's a great player who found himself in a series where the matchups were bad for him, and his team was up against an extremely confident (and hot) team. Cuban was interviewed after the game, and just like Dirk and Avery in their interviews, he showed a lot of poise and a lot of class. He said he loves his team and his coach, and that he's going to stay with what he has and go back to work. I'm sure they may tweak their personnel a bit, but it would be crazy to get rid of Dirk. Imo.

As far as the Warriors... I'm still numb. After that first half, I fully expected a nail-biter. Incredible third quarter by Jackson, great performance and leadership from Davis, great effort from Barnes, Biedrins, JRich... I don't think anybody would have beaten us in that building tonight. To think that we did what we did in this series pretty much without our best 3-point shooter (Harrington) and one of our best subs (Ellis, who led the league in fast break points) is kind of scary.

I waited a long time for this. It sure is sweet, but I also hope we keep it going for awhile. I believe we were 2-2 vs Utah this year, and 2-1 vs Houston. Most analysts are saying that the Spurs are the only team that we probably wouldn't have a shot against. Should be interesting, at any rate.

This reminds me alot of the Tigers taking out the Yankees last year. You wait so damn long, and then suddenly your team does the impossible. Obviously, beating the Yankees is better, but for a Warriors fan, this is almost as good as a championship. Maybe we can see a Chris Webber-Golden State finals!

Hopefully someone can knock off the Spurs and Suns while we are at it.

One of them WILL knock out the other in the 2nd round, so you're half way there. :P

I'm still amazed at how much a gimpy Baron Davis was so much more valuable to his team than a healthy Dirk. Props to the Warriors!

Edited by Aggie87

The athleticism of Baron Davis is astounding. He can shoot over anyone. It seemed like the Warriors made every three they shot last night.

Can't really blame Dallas, they just ran into the buzzsaw.