Masabumi Kikuchi

jazz1

I like Kikuchi's minimalist playing with Tethered Moon. The partnership with Motian and Peacock is splendid. All their cds are worth checking out, they tackle some intersting material (Piaf, Tosca, Weill). Could do with a little less groaning though.

Odd the omission from the Penguin Gude. Now if he were Scandinavian ......

Try these if you can find them:

P.M.P. - Miles Mode - (w/ Marc Johnson and Paul Motian) Sony (Japan) 1993 - tunes associated w/ Miles, including Nardis, Milestones, Bye Bye Blackbird, My Man's Gone Now, Round Mindnight, and a couple of Kikuchi's originals - Melancholy Gil, 5X3.

Great 3 - Tennessee Waltz - (w/ Gary Peacock and Masahiko Togashi) Aeolus (Japan) 1994

a live date - tunes stretch out on this one, with timings from 5 to 26 minutes. Tennessee Waltz, Carla, Nature Boy, Goodbye, and one Kikuchi original (Little Abi)

Guest donald petersen

and for those that like their music recorded before the 1990s, check out "susto" for some very good for the 80s funky sort of space-ey fusion (and "one way traveller" is almost as good).

"poo-sun" is very good and is from um 1971? ish. if you can find it. sort of "in a silent way-ish" but more aggressive.

the "wishes/kochi" album from 1976 is also pretty nice. very much like the miles davis of the time and with lucas and foster and davesteve grossliebman are both there.

"east wind" is also pretty good from 1974ish with gravatt on drums and juney booth on bass. sounds as you would expect with them on board.

there is a good gary peacock album from 1971ish with kikuchi on it which i can't remember the name of right now. maybe just "east"?

there is also a sort of lame joe henderson bootleg CD i have heard called "sunrise in tokyo" with kikuchi on it. perhaps if i heard it again i would like it more but it is hard to find.

there is a sadao watananbe album called "pay-sages" which is like a worse version of "poo-sun", IMO. this one has gary peacock on bass also and is from 1970ish.

is kikuchi on that jack dejohnette album from 1970ish? who's on that one. i haven't seen it in forever....the quartet one. maybe a japanese bassist also. and bennie maupin?

You & the Night & the Music with Kikuchi accompanying Helen Merrill is wonderful (& a little weird, what with all the plus-Jarrett-que-Jarrett moaning & groaning). & I have a couple Tethered Moon discs, which are quite good, esp the Kurt Weill one.

Very good player, and very tight group. I have them doing Tosca, and love it. There is one thing I don't like in this particular album - his annoying, Jarrett-like humming. Also, hate those horrible Winter&Winter CD-scratching and damaging packaging contraptions.

P.S. I don't know why, my post came out as a reply to N. Dorward. It was meant to be a reply to jazz1.

Edited by Trane

• 4 years later...

The Tethered Moon recordings are all very good, groaning excepted!

Yes they are. There are 5 of them.

It's good to see that we're still doing the unexpected and NOT jumping on the "bash Jarrett" bandwagon!

Bud's groaning was just as annoying, if not moreso, than anyone else's, but nobody has the balls to make a critical remark about such a god. Oy!

Yeah, true. The Fontana LP with Griff seems to have the groans as loud (if not louder than) the music. I don't really mind groaning from Jarrett, Kuhn, Bud, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten or anyone else.

Don't have much Kikuchi but his name has been tossed around as someone to check out from time to time. May dipp in.

I believe this is the fellow I saw at the Village Vanguard with Paul Motian. It was more in the nature of growling, like he was pretending he was a wolf or an angry dog. I found it very strange and unbearable in that intimate context; I liked his playing but not enough to overcome his peculiar sounds and facial expressions.

Yeah, true. The Fontana LP with Griff seems to have the groans as loud (if not louder than) the music. I don't really mind groaning from Jarrett, Kuhn, Bud, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten or anyone else.

Don't have much Kikuchi but his name has been tossed around as someone to check out from time to time. May dipp in.

Yes, I have that one too:

470990.jpg

I have a couple of others that have wonderful playing along with the moaning.

This is one of those:

Frontal.jpg

I was enjoying Kikuchi's playing on Paul Motian's Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1 yesterday. I don't find Kikuchi's grunting distracting, although it might be if you were at the Vanguard sitting right behind him. I remember there being some kind of benefit for him last year or the year before. Does anyone know how he's doing now?

i first heard him on Paul Motian's Paradox Of Continuity. i had it sent to me 'cause i was interviewing Rebecca Martin, and truth be told, was more interested in her contribution than Kikuchi's. if IIRC, she doesn't sing on any of the cuts he plays on. i liked the recording very much, including Kikuchi's playing. kinda 'out,' but not too. the entire record was quite sparse, fresh sounding, and intuitive as i recall. and yeah, kikuchi's moaning/singing/whateveryawannacallit. no biggie...

I was enjoying Kikuchi's playing on Paul Motian's Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1 yesterday. I don't find Kikuchi's grunting distracting, although it might be if you were at the Vanguard sitting right behind him. I remember there being some kind of benefit for him last year or the year before. Does anyone know how he's doing now?

He's a lot better than he was I've heard from musicians close to him. I've even seen him out at a few concerts but I think his cancer is in remission. It could come back any day...