Whatever happened to James Carter?

ghost of miles

I pulled out CHASIN' THE GYPSY the other day for a show & realized I haven't heard much about him in the past couple of years. Is he still on Sony? He did that Pavement tribute and an organ-trio record, but his profile seems to have dropped somewhat... I know some viewed him as the Great Hope and others as the Great Hype back in the day (mid-1990s); I'll confess to being a fan who's lost track the past several years (never have checked out the Holiday tribute, which might be really good, for all I know... just put off by the concept, which has been done to death & seemed like a label idea). Any news on what he might be up to these days? His Sony site looks dormant.

Edited by ghost of miles

He made the Live At Baker's Keyboard Lounge album with many guests sitting in, and an organ trio album, and that's all I have heard from him lately on the recording front.

Live, I am disappointed at what I have heard. In the spring of 1996 I saw him with an acoustic piano trio and he was nearly great. He was a torrent of energy and played with a lot of ideas and spark to his playing. When I have seen him in recent years, he has been much more routine, playing pipe and slippers acoustic jazz, with an occasional special effect thrown in to make everyone shriek with surprise. What a bringdown.

• 2 weeks later...

He's playing here with the organ trio on Thursday - should I check him out? I've never been too much of a fan, but then I can imagine him being a pretty good live act... (I found the "Baker's Keyboard Lounge" guests parade a very boring disc...)

On the plus side: I don't think I *ever* actually saw an all hammond concert (seen concerts where keyboarders changed between grand piano, organ, rhoder, wurlitzer, etc, but never just a band with organ...)

Saw him at the The Hague JAzz Festival last friday and kinda liked his playing. Only the drummer (don't know his name) ruined the date for me. Stiff and not up to the other 2's standards imo.

Was it Leonard King (the drummer announced for the concert in Zurich)?

http://www.leonardkingdrums.com

http://www.aiartists.com/jcarter/performances.htm

Edited by Claude