Ella Fitzgerald

rythemgrl

Who here loves Ella Fitzgerald? Lord knows I do. Every song she has ever done is a classic in my book. And the good thing is that there is going to be a tribute album to be released next week with a whole bunch of singers I love singing her old standards. It will be great to hear a new perspective on her great songs. LONG LIVE ELLA!! (www.myspace.com/ellafitzgerald)

-Jen

umg

Who here loves Ella Fitzgerald? Lord knows I do. Every song she has ever done is a classic in my book. And the good thing is that there is going to be a tribute album to be released next week with a whole bunch of singers I love singing her old standards. It will be great to hear a new perspective on her great songs. LONG LIVE ELLA!! (www.myspace.com/ellafitzgerald)

-Jen

umg

Let me know what you think of the "new" live album that is coming out next week on Verve, "Live at Mr. Kelly's". I'm sure you'll be picking that one up since you're a big fan. :)

Edit - Oops, that's on your label too, isn't it.

Edited by Aggie87

Smells like spam... I wonder, will there be a follow up post? Or even posts in threads not related to UMG? Is jazz at UMG now boiled down to repacking old stuff in even more anthologies and doing those stupid fancy tributes?

Favourite Ella material, for me - and I'm not that familiar with her, so far - includes the Songbooks I've heard (Porter, Gershwin, Ellington) and also the beautiful "Whisper Not" on the LPR reissue of the same name (though "Old McDonald" definitely goes too far...).

Also the Marty Paich arranged "Ella Swings Lightly" is mighty fine!

Smells like spam... I wonder, will there be a follow up post? Or even posts in threads not related to UMG? Is

in this thread

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=32989&hl=

there is a (not too substantial) non spam post... wonder whether it's just one person, this post has a somewhat different sound to it... and whether this is really directed by anyone, or just some helpless person doing an internship, hard to believe this is part of some organized campaign :)

To all my fellow Ella Fitzgerald fans out there, I need your help. My name is Jen and I work for UMG. I am supposed to gather feedback on the Ella Fitzgerald compilation album titled “The Very Best of Cole Porter” which was released on February 13, 2007. If any of you guys bought the album or heard it, please share any thoughts and concerns you have. Thanks in advance!

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist.aspx...rd&aid=2685

It may be spam, but at least it's upfront spam. Perhaps Jen will continue to post here and add to other dialogues. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Is jazz at UMG now boiled down to repacking old stuff in even more anthologies and doing those stupid fancy tributes?

Yes. <_<

Although it never ceases to amaze me how many new Ella compilations they can come up with. A staggering amount for years, and they just keep coming. Those are not for me, though. I turn to the Japanese, the Andorrans and Mosaic for new-to-CD stuff from the Universal vaults.

That's not Chick; this was after he had passed on (or after he had retired from the stage due to terminal illness) and Ella took over the Orchestra. I think that's Bill Beason drumming. Ted McRae is possibly the tenor saxophonist, and Taft Jordan is one of the trumpeters.

Edited by jazzbo

Forgot the tribute and buy some Ella records! My favorites include:

- The duos with Ellis Larkins. Reissued as "Pure Ella," I think.

- "The Intimate Ella," with Paul Smith on piano.

- "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie" - Ella with a trio doing "Night in Tunisia," "Cry Me A River," "Round Midnight," "Stella by Starlight," "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" and many more.

- The duos with Joe Pass--pick one.

- The songbooks

- Ella with Chick Webb

- Ella and Louis

- Ella and Duke

- oh hell, get them all

• 9 years later...

I wish the city of Yonkers (her hometown) would take better care of her statue which is located at the Yonkers train station.   I pass by it often and have noticed that sometimes branches are growing over it and the lights at night may not be working.  She deserves better!!!

Happy 100th birthday!

These days I am reading Stuart Nicholson's bio, "Ella Fitzgerald: A Biography Of The First Lady Of Jazz" (Da Capo Press, 1995) and revisiting some of her best recordings, spanning most of her career, starting back in her days with the Chick Webb Orchestra. You gotta love Ella!