Baby Face Willette – Face To Face conn

Sept. 25, 2007

Grant Green – The Latin Bit reg cd

Lee Morgan – Candy reg cd

Lee Morgan – Indeed mosaic

Jimmy Smith – Midnight Special never heard +

Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack reg cd

i can't believe i'm only missing 4 of these

We should put together a just-incase-it-all-ends list for Cuscuna.

My wishes for RVGs (or Conns, or whatever):

New Faces, New Sounds - Wynton Kelly

Julius Watkins Sextet Vol. 1 and 2

The Opener - Curtis Fuller

Look Out - Stanley Turrentine

Plays Fats Waller - Jimmy Smith

Steppin' Out - Harold Vick

Wahoo - Duke Pearson

Bring It Home To Me - Blue Mitchell

The Empty Foxhole - Ornette Coleman

Contrasts - Larry Young

Heads Up - Blue Mitchell

Natural Essence - Tyrone Washington

Introducing/Now Hear This - Duke Pearson's Big Band

Grass Roots - Andrew Hill

Extensions - McCoy Tyner

Wayfaring Stranger - Jeremy Steig

Odyssey of Iska - Wayne Shorter

Chant - Donald Byrd

A long list, for sure, but I'm just barely scratching the surface.

Edit: I initially forgot to mention that I didn't include records I already had in other form, but deserve to be RVG'd nonetheless (Leapin' and Lopin', New York Is Now/Love Call, Total Eclipse, Dimensions and Extensions etc...)

Edited by milestones20

why are they putting out the Paul Chambers when the Mosaic Select is out? I bought that a few years ago so theres no reason for me to buy the RVG? I remember they put RVG's out of the Byrd/Adams stuff before the Mosaic went out of print, it soon did. At least domestically, I think all sessions except for "The Creeper" have been out on single CD. Hooray for the JOS discs tho, finally!

Wahoo - Duke Pearson

Contrasts - Larry Young

Heads Up - Blue Mitchell

Extensions - McCoy Tyner

Chant - Donald Byrd

I would add: Leapin' and Lopin'---Sonny Clark

August 21, 2007

Paul Chambers – Bass On Top conn

Walter Davis, Jr. – Davis Cup never heard +

Duke Jordan – Flight To Jordan never heard +

Lee Morgan – Vol. 2 mosaic

Lee Morgan – Vol. 3 mosaic

Ike Quebec – Bossa Nova/Soul Samba conn

September 11, 2007

Lou Donaldson – Gravy Train never heard +

Kenny Dorham – Afro Cuban reg cd

Herbie Hancock – Takin’ Off bn box set

Thad Jones - The Magnificent Thad Jones mosaic

Lee Morgan - Delightfulee conn

Baby Face Willette – Face To Face conn

Sept. 25, 2007

Grant Green – The Latin Bit reg cd

Lee Morgan – Candy reg cd

Lee Morgan – Indeed mosaic

Jimmy Smith – Midnight Special never heard +

Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack reg cd

i can't believe i'm only missing 4 of these

Very helpful SS1 - this lot is no great revelation.

But YOU should get "Gravy train" and "Midnight special" - two ultra greasy albums - 4078 & 4079 - a good week for grease that was (with "Workout" 4080).

MG

Wahoo - Duke Pearson

Contrasts - Larry Young

Heads Up - Blue Mitchell

Extensions - McCoy Tyner

Chant - Donald Byrd

Excellent list... Can I just throw in Heaven on Earth -- Larry Young.

To me it's a very disappointing list. Although there are great titles, I have them all happily on JRVG's, for the first time, I have zero to purchase from these - and since I'm a loyal diehard, that must surely spell trouble for BN as there are likely lots of other regulars in the same boat.

Too bad, IMO it's a missed opportunity - there are still lots of great titles not yet given the RVG treatment in Japan either - Elvin Jones, Bobby Hutcherson, Ornette, later Turrentine, Tyner, Rivers and many others.

And since I won't be buying - and I'm sure others who already have RVG's of these - that doesn't help get to the numbers needed to continue the series.

Cuscuna has broken the cardinal rule of the RVG series in the last several years - always have some titles never before RVG'd.

Oh well - thankfully the Prestige RVG series is continuing with lots of great stuff given RVG's sound for the first time!

Speak for yourself. In the last few batches I've only found one or two that interested me, but almost all of these interest me because I've been waiting for them to be remastered domestically. The only one I have is Bass on Top. I'm very, very happy with this list.

I've always heard good things about "Flight To Jordan". Anyone else care to add a few thoughts?

I love it. Nothing ground-breaking here, but wonderful, hard-swinging music. A few years ago I happened to find the Conn on sale for about $10 and bought it thinking it might be OK and it turned out to be one of those surprise gems. It's one of my favorite sideman turns by Stanley Turrentine, and has to be my one top fave sideman appearence by Reece. The bonus cuts are great, too.

RVG's I'd like to see, in no particular order, artists largely omitted out of laziness. Ya'll know who did 'em:

Leapin' and Lopin'

Happy Frame of Mind

Rollin' with Leo

ZT's Blues

Far Away Lands

The Rajah

Cornbread

Up at Minton's

Look Out!

Blues Walk

Quartet/Quintet/Sextet

Tippin' the Scales

Bluesnik

New Soil

Blue and Sentimental

Easy Living

Open House/Plain Talk

Stop and Listen

Matador

Born to Be Blue

KB at the Five Spot

Out of the Blue

Blakey/Moody: New Sounds

Piano Interperetations

A Portrait of Sheila

The Jody Grind

Good Gracious!

Sunny Side Up

Swing, Swang, Swingin'

The In Between

Cliff Craft

Further Explorations

Conns:

High Frequency

A Date with Jimmy Smith vols 1 & 2

Jimmy Smith at the Organ 1 & 2

Up and Down

Natural Essence

Live at the Hickory House v 1 & 2

Thad Jones v3

The Opener

Two Bones

Bone & Bari

CF vol 3

Here 'tis

Chant

The Creeper

Contrasts

Heaven on Earth

Jimmy Smith & LD

LD + 3

Lou Takes Off

Smithville

And the first session in the Blue Mitchell box, the one with Joe Henderson on. What's it called?

What'd I miss? I omitted things available on Selects and in-print Mosaic boxes, except for a few LD titles, a couple Parlans (it'll be gone soon enough, right?). Some individual Stanley Turrentines (Comin' Your Way, Jubilee Shout) from the box would be nice to have out too.

RVG's I'd like to see, in no particular order, artists largely omitted out of laziness. Ya'll know who did 'em:

Leapin' and Lopin'

Happy Frame of Mind

Rollin' with Leo

ZT's Blues

Far Away Lands

The Rajah

Cornbread

Up at Minton's

Look Out!

Blues Walk

Quartet/Quintet/Sextet

Tippin' the Scales

Bluesnik

New Soil

Blue and Sentimental

Easy Living

Open House/Plain Talk

Stop and Listen

Matador

Born to Be Blue

KB at the Five Spot

Out of the Blue

Piano Interperetations

A Portrait of Sheila

The Jody Grind

Good Gracious!

Sunny Side Up

Swing, Swang, Swingin'

The In Between

Cliff Craft

Further Explorations

Conns:

High Frequency

Up and Down

Natural Essence

Thad Jones v3

The Opener

Two Bones

Bone & Bari

CF vol 3

Here 'tis

Chant

The Creeper

Contrasts

Heaven on Earth

Jimmy Smith & LD

LD + 3

Lou Takes Off

Smithville

And the first session in the Blue Mitchell box, the one with Joe Henderson on. What's it called?

What'd I miss? I omitted things available on Selects and in-print Mosaic boxes, except for a few LD titles, a couple Parlans (it'll be gone soon enough, right?). Some individual Stanley Turrentines (Comin' Your Way, Jubilee Shout) from the box would be nice to have out too.

Great list, except a few, not because they're bad sessions, but because they're good enough sessions to see the light of day at least once, but not great enough to be reissued again (for e.g. Oblique was a great session that deserved to be reissued) or the masters are gone.

1. Tippin the Scales. As much as I love J. Mac., Tippin' is not that terrific. Now having said that, I'm glad I have it, but it's not worth reissuing. Now having said that, New Soil NEEDS to be RVG'd. And also FWIW, I LOVE the Japanese album cover of Tippin' The Scales!

2. Swing Swang Swingin, is also nice but I don't think its necessary to reissue this one either. There's way too other important J. Mac titles to put out like One Step Beyond or 'Bout Soul for that matter.

3. Now, from what I understand, the Jody Grind is not going to get much better, since the master tapes are gone. However, Sweet Honey Bee, seems to have improved from the RVG treatment.

4. Now lastly, you probably won't either see the Blakey/Moody New Sounds either, because its a pretty enoymous session, yet it is still a satisfying set as well (a set I also own but don't reach for often) so don't hold your breath essentially. In fact, don't hold your breath for any 10 inchers because they did not really sell well (a shame because like the WCC's, the 10 inchers were excellent, but they did not generate enough popular interest to get us another reissue). Of course, if this is a wrong assertion, feel free to correct me :rolleyes:

P.S. Would love to hear High Frequency :excited:

Leapin' and Lopin'

Happy Frame of Mind

Rollin' with Leo

ZT's Blues

Far Away Lands

The Rajah

Cornbread

Up at Minton's

Look Out!

Blues Walk

Quartet/Quintet/Sextet

Tippin' the Scales

Bluesnik

New Soil

Blue and Sentimental

Easy Living

Open House/Plain Talk

Stop and Listen

Matador

Born to Be Blue

KB at the Five Spot

Out of the Blue

Piano Interperetations

A Portrait of Sheila

The Jody Grind

Good Gracious!

Sunny Side Up

Swing, Swang, Swingin'

The In Between

Cliff Craft

Further Explorations

Conns:

High Frequency

Up and Down

Natural Essence

Thad Jones v3

The Opener

Two Bones

Bone & Bari

CF vol 3

Here 'tis

Chant

The Creeper

Contrasts

Heaven on Earth

Jimmy Smith & LD

LD + 3

Lou Takes Off

Smithville

Great list, except a few, not because they're bad sessions, but because they're good enough sessions to see the light of day at least once, but not great enough to be reissued again (for e.g. Oblique was a great session that deserved to be reissued) or the masters are gone.

1. Tippin the Scales. As much as I love J. Mac., Tippin' is not that terrific. Now having said that, I'm glad I have it, but it's not worth reissuing. Now having said that, New Soil NEEDS to be RVG'd. And also FWIW, I LOVE the Japanese album cover of Tippin' The Scales!

2. Swing Swang Swingin, is also nice but I don't think its necessary to reissue this one either. There's way too other important J. Mac titles to put out like One Step Beyond or 'Bout Soul for that matter.

3. Now, from what I understand, the Jody Grind is not going to get much better, since the master tapes are gone. However, Sweet Honey Bee, seems to have improved from the RVG treatment.

4. Now lastly, you probably won't either see the Blakey/Moody New Sounds either, because its a pretty enoymous session, yet it is still a satisfying set as well (a set I also own but don't reach for often) so don't hold your breath essentially. In fact, don't hold your breath for any 10 inchers because they did not really sell well (a shame because like the WCC's, the 10 inchers were excellent, but they did not generate enough popular interest to get us another reissue). Of course, if this is a wrong assertion, feel free to correct me :rolleyes:

Leapin' and Lopin'

Happy Frame of Mind

Rollin' with Leo

ZT's Blues

Far Away Lands

The Rajah

Cornbread

Up at Minton's

Look Out!

Blues Walk

Quartet/Quintet/Sextet

Tippin' the Scales

Bluesnik

New Soil

Blue and Sentimental

Easy Living

Open House/Plain Talk

Stop and Listen

Matador

Born to Be Blue

KB at the Five Spot

Out of the Blue

Piano Interperetations

A Portrait of Sheila

The Jody Grind

Good Gracious!

Sunny Side Up

Swing, Swang, Swingin'

The In Between

Cliff Craft

Further Explorations

Conns:

High Frequency

Up and Down

Natural Essence

Thad Jones v3

The Opener

Two Bones

Bone & Bari

CF vol 3

Here 'tis

Chant

The Creeper

Contrasts

Heaven on Earth

Jimmy Smith & LD

LD + 3

Lou Takes Off

Smithville

I've always heard good things about "Flight To Jordan". Anyone else care to add a few thoughts?

"..now if I make a record date I will make sure, much more sure that everything is done the way it's supposed to be done, and that the musicians will be the right musicians. Like, on that record date I did with Blue Note I had a trumpet player, Dizzy Reece, and I shouldn't have given him the date. I should have given it to someone else because he didn't jell with Turrentine, the saxophone player. It was a wrong combination and the record date didn't come out the way it should have".

Duke Jordan, interviewed by Roland Baggenaes, Coda, September-October 1973

The ugly cover on my Tippin' CD is reason enough to want a new one. And though it's an oddly straight-ahead session, following "Let Freedom Ring" as it did, it's still got Jackie and Sonny Clark on it, you know?

I excluded the J Mac titles that are on the Moncur Select just b/c they're available now. Not because they're not, like, totally awesome.

The Blakey/Moody disc just seems like something RVG could work wonders on. He's great with sessions of that vintage!

The Jody Grind would be nice to have "Honey Bee"-ed. Woody Shaw and Tyrone Washington, right? Hell yes.

I'm pretty sure the list could be twice as long, and it's pretty unwieldy as is. Edit and add, everyone!

Not sure I understand the logic unless you place a high premium on RVG's remastering. New Soil is widely available, Tippin' the Scales is not.

Guy

Can anyone give me information about Lee Morgan's "Indeed" session? Is this early or late Lee? Sideman? Is it an exceptional session or is it sort of run-of-the-mill hard bop? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!