• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R.I.P.

For me, it was also the first World Cup for which I learned by heart all lineups. In fact I still can recall a bunch of them: Waldir Peres, Leandro, Oscar, Luizinho, Toninho Cerezo, Júnior, Falçao, Sócrates, Serginho, Zico and Éder. Zico and Sócrates were my idols by then. :) 

I also have some remembrances from Argentina '78 and Mario Kempes defeating the Clockwork Orange team, but Spain was different... :) ... even though I did not attend any of the matches.

At that time I was a huge fan of Brazil national team, so I was really disappointed with Italia qualifying for the semifinals and then beating Germany 3-1 in the final. And besides, I have never been very fond of 'catenaccio'.

This image of Sandro Pertini celebrating Paolo Rossi's goals is iconic:

Sandro Pertini, el hombre que 'ganó' un Mundial y mató a Benito Mussolini |  Marca.com

Edited by EKE BBB

I'll out myself as an oldster, then:  :D I remember being allowed by my parents to stay up very late to watch the opening match of the 1970 World Cup in Mexico (Mexico-Italy 0:0). Though at 10, I did not follow soccer that closely yet during the Mexican Cup and the first one I really ate up from start to end was the 1974  World Cup in Germany. By 1982 that enthusiasm had long ebbed off to that of a (very) occasional watcher and sports news reader, though, as other hobbies (including 20s to 60s music and record collecting ;)) kept me more than occupied. Rossi's name is familiar, though.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Here we go again... it's coming home! 😀

First game was a bit slow to get started by Italy deserved their win. Turkey were very poor on the whole , with the 2-0 loss flattering them.

England look quite promising but they don't have Kieran Tierney so perhaps the Tartan army may be able to celebrate escaping the group stage. Well , at least I can dream.....

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

First game was a bit slow to get started by Italy deserved their win. Turkey were very poor on the whole , with the 2-0 loss flattering them.

England look quite promising but they don't have Kieran Tierney so perhaps the Tartan army may be able to celebrate escaping the group stage. Well , at least I can dream.....

England need a couple of Tierneys, at least. We look very promising if you ignore the gaping holes at centre back.

I thought Italy looked efficient and not as good as the BBC coverage hyped them.

I'm looking forward to England v. Scotland and Foden completing his Gascoigne impersonation :)

In the first half Turkey looked like they may have had a chance for a draw, but after the break they fell apart, opening gaps between midfield and defence, which the Italians competently exploited. Italy got a well-deserved win. They better had, playing in Rome!

Yes, reports are he's awake and stabilised, thankfully

Also glad I wasn't watching it but wasn't walking a dog

Earlier, Wales have their goalkeeper to thank for keeping the better Swiss team at bay for a draw

Edited by mjazzg

On 6/12/2021 at 3:01 AM, Clunky said:

Tartan army looked rather un-army-like today. They did play their fair share: many will remember them for facilitating one of the greatest goals in Euro history.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Tartan army looked rather un-army-like today. They did play their fair share: many will remember them for facilitating one of the greatest goals in Euro history.

Despite the loss there were positives. Plenty of chances created but two errors lead to the two goals. Czech team certainly deserved the win. I feel with a bit more maturity the Scottish team will improve ( but this will most likely happen after the Euros !)

1 minute ago, Clunky said:

Despite the loss there were positives. Plenty of chances created but two errors lead to the two goals. Czech team certainly deserved the win. I feel with a bit more maturity the Scottish team will improve ( but this will most likely happen after the Euros !)

I must confess that I didn't watch the match, just the highlights on YouTube. It appeared that it was all Czechs, with the exception of one lad hitting the bar with a nice volley from well outside the box.

My Ukrainians played their usual game -  a squad, observing which would make one scratch their head and think "How the hell did they make it all the way here?!", until  flashes of brilliance spark, and then one says, "I see, that's how."
They have no chance...

13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Unusual to see the Germany manager sweating and worrying on the bench.

Agree that the French team showed more flair and pace in their attacks.

I wonder how much attention they’re paying to Low since he’s leaving. 

Morata is the most overrated forward of his generation.

Ukraine beat Macedonia...barely. This Macedonian team is very good, for a country of 2 only million people, even phenomenally-good.

My semi-finalists are the French, Portugal, England, and either Belgium or Wales. 

Edited by Dmitry

I think once it was decided to be a multi-country based competition the location of the final became largely irrelevant in footballing terms.  Reports here suggest the government is considering relaxing quarantine rules for UEFA officials and VIPs so that it stays at Wembley.  Another 'one rule for us, one rule for them, so beloved of Boris and his cronies.

If it does go to Budapest my main concern would be the publicity coup it gives the Orban regime.

Edited by mjazzg