Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, brownie said:

Too bad for France that Griezmann seemed off on that final match when he could have made a différence that day!

Argentine was a deserving winner!

What a great match it was!

Do you think it has something to do with the flu that stormed the team the last days? Griezmann and others, Dembele ecc, seemed out of gas .

38 minutes ago, brownie said:

Too bad for France that Griezmann seemed off on that final match when he could have made a différence that day!

Argentine was a deserving winner!

What a great match it was!

He was playing defensive midfielder almost all tournament, in the absence of Kante. With Pogba and Benz, and the above-mentioned Kante, things would've been different for the French. Mbappe proved himself an amazing player, single-handedly dragging France almost the finish line. Lloris performed great, too!

5 hours ago, Dmitry said:

He was playing defensive midfielder almost all tournament, in the absence of Kante. With Pogba and Benz, and the above-mentioned Kante, things would've been different for the French. Mbappe proved himself an amazing player, single-handedly dragging France almost the finish line. Lloris performed great, too!

Really? I saw Greizmann playing a floating 10 behind Giroud seemingly with the freedom to roam into whatever space he saw for instance left wing for that sumptuous cross to defeat England.

The way Deschamps set up did require him to drop further into midfield especially against teams that pushed numbers through that area. He completed more tackles than he did in his previous guise supporting Benzema up top because he was tackling back.

But France's DM was definitely Tchouaméni. He was the Kanté replacement in all their games, shielding the back four. Most of the time he was partnered by Rabiot which granted Greizmann his freedom.

But maybe I read it wrong. Whatever his position he was a star if the tournament until the final where he faded. Lovely player.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:14 AM, Dmitry said:

One of the commentators mentioned that Lloris is not comfortable doing PK shootouts and it showed. Martinez was up for the challenge. 

• 5 months later...

The judgement day is coming.

This Sunday, it's either Everton, Leicester or Leeds that is going down. Everton is at 33 points, the other two are at 31. Only a victory will do for my Leicester City. Keeping hopeful, but realistic. The club is being mismanaged, and everyone knows it.

I do love the promotion/relegation system, which is not an option in major sports in the USA, where everything is "hooked up", as they say.

We started following Leicester in 2015, when Vardy was unstoppable, and the Top 6 clubs weren't looking forward to playing at Filbert Way.

The absence of the relegation/promotion system in the USA is why I don't watch the sports on tv anymore.Takes away the dreams of small clubs rising from the bottom, and no-one is safe. I would imagine that being a fan of a local team has a significant community-bonding effect in the UK. There is nothing like it here in America. 

Too bad about Reading. Good old club. Perhaps they'll get back into the Championship next year.

Edited by Dmitry

2015 was crazy really. An example of everything coming together for one team whilst others just didn't fulfill their potential. I fear that won't happen again for a long time.

Yes, local support is a significant element for many clubs especially in lower leagues, but also for teams in the Premiership although most of the larger clubs aren't so local focussed now. It's very important to fans too and can really bring a town, smaller city or area of a larger city together. I lived in Arsenal country in their last successful period in the 90s and the celebrations were mad.

I started going to Reading as a 12 yo but moved away ten years later and now follow from afar. 

There will never be relegation in the US, at least not in my lifetime. Minor leagues and college athletics (which are the minor leagues for football and basketball) dominate that secondary tier; and outside of traditional/original sports cities that's where you'll find most of the community-bonding among fandoms and towns. Relegation would kill interest in smaller market teams, which play in stadiums underwritten by local municipalities. Looking at that kind of economic consequence, legislatures would get involved and absolutely prevent it from happening - because taxpayers foot the bill for stadium construction.  

I don't think the UK has the same college-as-minor-league system correct? (and that's in any sport) It's a totally absurd system in just about every respect but it's so big in terms of revenue that it's basically permanent. Although the NBA's G League and Euro leagues are chipping away at college basketball's establishment, they're still not close to adopting any sort of relegation. And forget about US soccer. Maybe in 3023...

It’s incredible to think that Leicester was only champion a few short years ago. That championship was once in a lifetime thing. With the money presently awash in football, a small team winning a title is inconceivable. 

2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I don't think the UK has the same college-as-minor-league system correct? (and that's in any sport) 

No, not at all.

Minor league football (soccer) is still town/city focussed and is either semi-pro or amateur as you go down through the tiers.  The FA, our natonal football ruling body, has about 10 tiers in its pyramid. At the bottom you're looking at teams playing in very local leagues and representing small towns/villages. All tiers will have promotion/relegation making it feasible but very, very unlikely that a team representing a small town can rise through the pyramid to the four professional leagues. 

The FA Cup, an annual knockout competition is open to all clubs affiliated to the FA no matter which tier they play in. Occasionally a tier 5 or 6 amateur team will perform well enough to appear against a top tier side - that's what we quaintly call "the romance of the Cup" 

The same structure exists in rugby and cricket but is smaller as the sports are less popular.

Universities have there own inter-universiry competitions but they don't intersect with the structure above.

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s incredible to think that Leicester was only champion a few short years ago. That championship was once in a lifetime thing. With the money presently awash in football, a small team winning a title is inconceivable. 

True but it's often overlooked that Leicester did have money from their Thai backers, not the amounts of Man City, Newcastle or Liverpool but they weren't financial minnows compared to all other sides and were probably the richest outside the big 5 or 6 at the time.

Edited by mjazzg

36 minutes ago, Brad said:

King Power, the conglomerate of the billionaire Srivaddhanaprabha family of Thailand which owns LCFC, took a very significant hit during the Covid air travel ban. KP is a chain of duty-free shops in South East Asia.

This video explains rather succinctly the Leicester business model, and how it has come undone. I will just add that the tragic death of the owner Vichai, who is lionized by the fans to this day, and  who was the force behind the family riches and loved his club, was a precipitating factor. His son Top doesn't seem to be nearly as involved with the football club as was his father. 

https://youtu.be/I6Ss0p2Oiro

26 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Minor league football (soccer) is still town/city focussed and is either semi-pro or amateur as you go down through the tiers.  The FA, our natonal football ruling body, has about 10 tiers in its pyramid. At the bottom you're looking at teams playing in very local leagues and representing small towns/villages. All tiers will have promotion/relegation making it feasible but very, very unlikely that a team representing a small town can rise through the pyramid to the four professional leagues. 

The FA Cup, an annual knockout competition is open to all clubs affiliated to the FA no matter which tier they play in. Occasionally a tier 5 or 6 amateur team will perform well enough to appear against a top tier side - that's what we quaintly call "the romance of the Cup" 

The same structure exists in rugby and cricket but is smaller as the sports are less popular.

Universities have there own inter-universiry competitions but they don't intersect with the structure above.

Interesting. Thanks for that. And I forgot to prefix "football" in my post as "American football." You caught it though 👍

4 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

There will never be relegation in the US, at least not in my lifetime. Minor leagues and college athletics (which are the minor leagues for football and basketball) dominate that secondary tier; and outside of traditional/original sports cities that's where you'll find most of the community-bonding among fandoms and towns. Relegation would kill interest in smaller market teams, which play in stadiums underwritten by local municipalities. Looking at that kind of economic consequence, legislatures would get involved and absolutely prevent it from happening - because taxpayers foot the bill for stadium construction.  

I don't think the UK has the same college-as-minor-league system correct? (and that's in any sport) It's a totally absurd system in just about every respect but it's so big in terms of revenue that it's basically permanent. Although the NBA's G League and Euro leagues are chipping away at college basketball's establishment, they're still not close to adopting any sort of relegation. And forget about US soccer. Maybe in 3023...

I find the college system in the US really interesting. Lots of my American colleagues are only interested in sports at the college level. It is interesting to me how that shows through. Perceived as more local and more intense. Also the only franchise in many parts of the country where the ability to start a team at grass roots level is restricted.

I suppose our closest here is the Championship (2nd tier) game, which does has more "heart" and more local feeling. Although having sat through the relentless negativism of the last season at my club, I'm not sure how much more local feeling I can take.

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I find the college system in the US really interesting. Lots of my American colleagues are only interested in sports at the college level. It is interesting to me how that shows through. Perceived as more local and more intense. Also the only franchise in many parts of the country where the ability to start a team at grass roots level is restricted.

I suppose our closest here is the Championship (2nd tier) game, which does has more "heart" and more local feeling. Although having sat through the relentless negativism of the last season at my club, I'm not sure how much more local feeling I can take.

Of course you can 😁

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Although having sat through the relentless negativism of the last season at my club, I'm not sure how much more local feeling I can take.

Man, as a long suffering fan of my local uni's sports teams I feel you on this. Negative fans indulge in a toxicity that make it a tough environment. I've come around to ignoring all that and it's helped.