Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I know we have some fans of the beautiful game, so why not starting a thread about what's going on in the world of soccer or football.

If there is enough action maybe we can make a poll to have a section of the forum dedicated to it. ;)

Anyway, anybody following the Copa America competition.

The prelims were little lame playing 18 games to eliminate 4 teams out of 12, sounds like the CFL regular season to me.

Quarter finals were a succession of strong teams trashing weaker teams, scores were 4-1, 6-1,6-0 and 4-0 but things started to pick up with the first semi yesterday between Brazil and Uruguay

Here's an account of that quite exciting game.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/6290410.stm

Tonight the other semi between Argentina and Mexico will take place

For the Yanks the games are broadcasted on Univision.

Edited by Van Basten II

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i guess our friend Sal will not be happy about the results.

The second Argentine goal, the one by Messi was sheer class, beatiful touch with the keeper out of position.

Archrivals Brazil and Argentina will meet for the uptieth time in what will be arematch of the last competition in 2004.

By the way, listening to the english broadcast on Gol tv, gotta say that the analyst is as irritating as it gets, i think i'd rather listen to these guys instead.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...c=35111&hl=

Today is the thrid place meeting between Uruguay and Mexico and tomorrow the grand finale between Argentina and Brazil.

I'll take Mexico to win the consolation prize. As far as the final goes, although Argentina should be the favourite, they have a better team and better individualities and overall the had a better tournament. My little finger tells me the the Brasilian will find a way to get the result anyway.

Uh huh - the Malaysian national team got some 5 goal drubbings in the AFC Asian Cup, against some 3rd rated teams. This is how far the team has sunk since its heydays in the 1970s where they were on par with the Koreans and Japanese. What do you expect when self-interested politicians get on the football committee and playing fields are cleared for development of commercial properties.

:(

I'll take Mexico to win the consolation prize. As far as the final goes, although Argentina should be the favourite, they have a better team and better individualities and overall the had a better tournament. My little finger tells me the the Brasilian will find a way to get the result anyway.

Since it happens so seldomly allow me to tooth my own horn for predicting correctly something.

It was a lot easier than i expected for the Seleçao. They stunned the Argentines with a gol in the first 10 minutes. And the own goal was the coup de grĂ¢ce.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...6/sfgarg116.xml

Edited by Van Basten II

Unfortunately, my being out of town prevented me from seeing my beloved Mexico fall at the hands of Argentina, as well as the final game. Good call Van Basten II, on the Brazil win! I would have never called that.

Speaking of Argentina, looks like Manchester United is finally sealing the deal on Carlos Tevez.

The Argentines won the tournament. I recorded the game planning to watch it later this evening. Took a walk after eating is it then i made a mistake and forgot a good old time tradition that whenever an football international contest is completed, you have the countrymen of the winners parading in the city, flags in hand and cars honking.

Seeing Argentine flags, i figured out who won the game. Guess my evening plans are screwed up.

Iraq won the Asian Cup! A huge and historical victory for them. Congrats to the Lions of the Two Rivers.

You beat me to it, am i the only one to consider it an upset. Will Dubya sent them a congratulary letter.

Along the way they have beaten credible oponents like Australia, South Corea and what seems to be a strong Saudi Arabia side

Too bad none of the games were available for us North-Americans

Iraq won the Asian Cup! A huge and historical victory for them. Congrats to the Lions of the Two Rivers.

You beat me to it, am i the only one to consider it an upset. Will Dubya sent them a congratulary letter.

Along the way they have beaten credible oponents like Australia, South Corea and what seems to be a strong Saudi Arabia side

Too bad none of the games were available for us North-Americans

Watched the final last night. A very enjoyable game that Iraq thoroughly deserved to win. Even when leading 1-0, they never stopped attacking.

Not a bad game, not a great game either. Ronaldo showed why he is one of the premier playmakers of the game orcherstrating the first MU goal. MU was the better team in the first half but an indidual effort by Malouda helped Chelsea to put the score even.

In the second half United still had the better chances they couldn't capitalize on them though gotta say that the pace was suiting more Chelsea. By spurts the game was intriguing but it was very sporadic, too much wasted energy.

Van der Sar turned out to be the man of the day, shutting out the Chelsea side in the penelaty kicks blocking consecutively 3 shots to help his team win it 3-0. Don't think i ever witnessed that before.

Time flies fast, in less than two weeks EPL starts again. Meanwhile the French championship starts this weekend. Will Lyon keep dominating this championship.

Lyon-Auxerre will maybe give us some answers.

Lyon started the season like a lion, defeating easily Auxerre 2-0. Plus ça change, plus c'est pareil.

Not a bad game, not a great game either. Ronaldo showed why he is one of the premier playmakers of the game orcherstrating the first MU goal. MU was the better team in the first half but an indidual effort by Malouda helped Chelsea to put the score even.]

Don't understand what you mean here.

It's was the french back EVRA playing in the midfield this time who "orchestrate" the MU goal. Not Ronaldo.

When EVRA receive the ball from an action that he has started, all the work has yet to be done and you give credit to this goal to RONALDO (and RONALDO, alone) ? That's the most strange way to analyse it, really.

Edited by P.L.M

Mexico vs. Brazil exhibition match at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, MA on Sept. 12!!!! ARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my upcoming trip to Europe for anything in the world, but this is one match I really don't want to miss! Its bad enough having to miss the first two weeks of the NFL, but this one really hurts!

Bundesliga starts this weekend, this friday Shalke 04 against Stuttgart. :excited:

Premier League also, won't see much action from this league. With the new TV deal, Setanta taking control of the main games. The channel is not offered by my cable company. Even if they did, by charging 15 $ a month, i find it a little too expansive for my liking :bwallace:

Ah the good ole time when we used to have everything with the regular cable set up.